1%

Total votes: 162

Turkey
Admiral

Re: Home From the Sea (4.1)

#71 Post by Turkey »

Milton Collins wrote:
Turkey wrote:
Milton Collins wrote:While watching with my wife, we couldn't help but crack up at the use of the word "Turkey" rather than a vulgar curse word and we loved it!

'Turkey' is a superb insult :D

Yes it sure is, I love how it is used many times during the show, just makes me laugh.

Me too, every time I hear it - that and 'Yo-Yo' which is another ace one I don't hear on TV anymore
Make it two weeks.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Reef monkey »

I'm trying to work out the timeline of Magnum's drift in this episode, let me know what you think:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3186
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#73 Post by marlboro »

The only insult more stinging than "turkey"?

"Mangy pot hound."

Turkey
Admiral

#74 Post by Turkey »

marlboro wrote:The only insult more stinging than "turkey"?

"Mangy pot hound."
That's pretty brutal, yeah :D
Make it two weeks.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#75 Post by ConchRepublican »

marlboro wrote:The only insult more stinging than "turkey"?

"Mangy pot hound."
I figure there are two funny behind the scenes moments associated with processing the first time they heard that line.

1 - Roger reads the copy and when he gets to "Mangy pot hound" he's like . . . WTF?
2 - there's a totally different line in there and Roger ad-libs "Mangy pot hound" which cracks everyone up behind the camera.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Sperry
Lieutenant

#76 Post by Sperry »

charybdis1966 wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:Well said.

I get a little misty too at the end, especially with Magnums VO leading into the scene.
Especially at "I made it dad, I made it!....Why couldn't you?"
Gets me everytime. That father son relationship nailed in just a couple of short scenes

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by KingKC »

The fourth season opener was intense, gut wrenching, nail biting and up for critical acclaim. Objectively it may have been one of the best according to most members but I was not that high on it. I really tuned in to MPI all those years for a show about private investigating. I understand that developing the characters attracts and keeps many viewers and for some makes the show great. To me this was a little bit of an extreme. Maybe I am shallow but I just like to be entertained with television. I also feel pretty much the same way about Solo Flight. It wasn't quite as intense and I might have even liked it a little more. Sorry.

KingKC

TSM308
Captain

#78 Post by TSM308 »

Definitely on my short list of favorites. I watched it last night with my 10-year old twins, and the suspense was killing them - especially the interaction with Herman. My daughter was half-covering her eyes in anticipation of an attack. It was the same way for me when I saw it as a kid.

It was great timing too, as I just received a Pepsi Rolex a few hours earlier :magnum:
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

Lindsay Writer
Commander

#79 Post by Lindsay Writer »

This just happened in real life to a 61 year old Navy veteran:

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 399#p48399

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#80 Post by ☨magnum.t »

This is one of my favorite episodes but the time on the water location of starting point and rescue and direction of travel just don't line up. I have tried to map it from the timeline given on another post but it just doesn't make sense. I think if the writers had just said he was practicing for the Molokai to Oahu surf ski race and capsized in the middle of the channel then was rescued about 30 miles away it would have made more sense. We know TM is a strong swimmer having completed the 5 mile swim in the Iron Man about middle of the pack. The average time for the Iron Man swim finish is about an hour and that's only 2.4 miles, with that said I'm betting Magnum could keep a 2.5 MPH pace meaning the current was faster than that, if he was in the water for 21 hours and just treading for most of it he actually could have traveled farther than that though.
That reminds me of the time....

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Stelth »

Happy Fourth to all. I hope nobody had their day ruined by any turkeys.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I decided to make this a Magnum 4th of July so I watched this one, followed by "Death and Taxes". The latter is one of my absolute favorites (an easy TOP 5) but the former is also an excellent episode - a tale of survival and flashbacks to TSM's father and what made TSM the man we know and love. There are no bad guys in this story (unless you count the "Hot & Heavy turkeys") so it's a bit of a departure from the norm, but it's also what makes it special and gives it a uniqueness which makes it stand out. It doesn't have a memorable villain like The Ripper or Ivan (which is probably why it doesn't make my TOP 5) but it definitely does a great deal to expand the Magnum-verse and explain the character of TSM. It also has a very powerful and emotional ending. I've seen this episode twice before. I thought making my 3rd viewing on the 4th would be ideal. It was!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by Milton Collins »

I completed my annual 4th of July tradition of watching this episode and as usual it never disappoints. Lots of emotion and background on Magnum, I love it. Rick and his date on the boat cracks me up, especially when he's yelling at his chef Wong about the non American menu lol. Thomas' tradition of being alone on the fourth is really cool to me, especially with the rationale of the day his dad died and his military background. What an excellent way to kick of season 4!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Magnum T. »

I started re-watching Season 4 a few days ago.
This episode is one of my favourites and one of those that I perfectly remember since I saw it on TV, many years ago.
It scores 9 for me.

(Being a child, I was "curious" about the fact that Magnum's father was... Sgt. Getraer from "CHiPs" (I used to watch it at the time too)).
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I've always thought that Magnum's father looks (and acts) like a morphing of Harrison Ford and Jack Nicholson.

ImageImage