No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 98

EZiller
Captain

Re: Luther Gillis: File #521 (4.2)

#51 Post by EZiller »

Of all the recurring characters in MPI. Luther was my favorite, even better than Higgins assorted half-brothers. Eugene Roche was superb in the role. It could have been easy to portray Luther as a clownish buffoon and while he certainly is that at times, Luthor is also loyal, resourceful, completely fearless and with a wealth of experience. Here, in his first appearance we get to learn a lot about his style. It's a rather weak plot line, but Roche and Selleck really work well together. After the dramatic tension of "Home From the Sea" this was a terrific comedic episode. 9.5

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Milton Collins »

Ok while I have grown to like Luther Gillis quite a bit over the years of watching the DVDs/Netflix, I didn't like this plot. I think the Return of Luther Gillis later this season and AAPI were far better. I loved the karate class scene though. The very fact that Higgins was teaching a self defense class to a bunch of older women was funny enough, but Luther getting ticked at Higgins slanderous comments about private investigators and then punching out that old woman who was just doing some silly practice move was awesome! I'm very against violence towards women don't read that last part wrong, just thought it was a funny and ridiculous reaction by Luther, not that he hit a woman, that's totally not cool outside of a fictional tv show. Anyway, I think Luther is extremely well played by Eugene Roche and I very much like his character but I went on and on about him in my review of AAPI so I'll avoid duplication. I guess I just thought that other than Luther and the karate scene, this was a thin plot and a boring episode. I have it a 6.5.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by MagnumILWU »

"You Too"! This is such a great episode! Just too funny! I love everything about it! There really hasn't been a better guest star!
"pickled egg please"

tiger73
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#54 Post by tiger73 »

One of best episode. Almost every scene is funny. I like soundtrack similar to Mike Hammer music Theme and noir wnviroment of the beginning. This episode remember me Dukes of Hazzerd with its great rythmin

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by KingKC »

I loved Luther Gillis when he first came on in the 4th season. I liked who he was searching for in the first episode which told me, for all his flaws, he was a good man. I actually dream of being a PI (not quite like Luther Gillis or TM, mind you!) in St. Louis after WWII and through the Fifties and onward when the true city of St. Louis was a thriving city of almost one million inhabitants. The city proper is now under 400K but the metropolitan area is over 2.5 million. I lived there for five years and could imagine his office in an actual building and what night life in downtown "St. Louie" was like then. (I am sure you know that absolutely NO ONE in St. Louis refers to St. Louis as St. Louie. That was just in the song Meet Me in St. Louie). I found it hilarious that Gillis also had his "book" on being a PI while Magnum was thinking of his. Gillis may have been the extreme comic example of Magnum some 25 years later!! Kudos to the writers, producers and directors for Luther P. Gillis.

KingKC

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KingKC wrote: Kudos to the writers, producers and directors for Luther P. Gillis.
KingKC
Hi King KC,
Uncle Luther is tanned, rested and ready. Gillis for President in 2016! America needs his vision, as well as his keen intellect and fashion sense. Vote the straight Gillis/Artie Canoe ticket. It would have been the Gillis/Higgins ticket but The Butler ain't a citizen.
"My way or the highway, scrung-o" beats "a chicken in every pot" if you ask me.
Dobie Gillis

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Rewatching this, I replied "Against bullets?" to Agatha's line literally a second before Magnum did :P Agatha obviously didn't intend to mean that scenario, but it's still hilarious.

As are Luther and that poor old woman. :lol: It was a definite split-second reaction, but for obvious reasons you'll NEVER see a network show do that for comedy today.
Last edited by thechickinthemiddle on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

TSM308
Captain

#58 Post by TSM308 »

He dropped her like a bad habit :lol: Also like when the 3rd cellmate decides to hang himself because he can't stand Luther and MAgnum's bickering any longer
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by 308GUY »

Don't really have anything to add to what's already been said about this episode.

Will say that I like the Luther Gillis character, and Roche played him perfectly.

Mostly posting to point out a flub that I haven't seen mentioned previously, I noticed during last viewing of the episode.

When LG and TM are cruising in the Ferrari after noting the tail they had aquired, when Luther asks TM how he's going to lose a tail in a car that sticks out like King Kong on the Empire State building. Thomas says, "Like this" and then the camera moves down to his hand downshifting, he is not wearing his team ring or MIA bracelet, when just a millisecond before, they are both present.

I also noticed the watch switch from the Chronosport to the GMT Master earlier, but that flub has already been pointed out by a couple folks.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this in here, and say that this episode stands out for me for several reasons, the main one being the introduction of Luther Gillis.

"Against bullets???" :lol:

"Watch out Chuckie!"

LOL! ok....where's that Luther smiley when ya' need it? :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

308GUY wrote:
LOL! ok....where's that Luther smiley when ya' need it? :magnum:

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by Magnum T. »

Very funny episode, Luther is probably my favourite recurring character.
Not the most original plot maybe, but the lines are always well written and sharp.
Several highlights, as noted in the previous reviews.
And the voice-over dialogues add an extra layer of fun.

It scores 8.5 for me.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by ENSHealy »

4.2 Luther Gillis: File #521
Famous guest stars: 1 Melora Hardin
Hawaiian shirts: 1 Classic Jungle Bird
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless:
OMG/Extraordinarys: 1
Higgins Organizations: 1 Anglo Hawaiian Canine Convention
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds: 1
Little Voice: 1
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI: 4.5 1 point each for Magnum’s references, half point each for Luther’s
Investigator corrections: 1
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 16
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/384352447

The Magnumometer Moments is pretty long for this episode, as it includes the whole So You Want to Be A Private Eye and Higgins teaches self defense scenes. But they're classics, had to include them.

Potential magnumania usernames: Chuckie, Some Crud Named Gary, All Around Sleezo, Nancy Perkins, Scrungo, Artie Keanu, Artie Canoe (taken), Eddie “The Wimp” Korcek, Little Tony, Sister Mary Alice Meanface, Sister Mary Magdelene Rose

Obviously, Melora Hardin was nowhere near famous at the time this episode first aired, but I’m including folks that have since become notable, so she’s in the same category with Sharon Stone, Shannon Doherty, Joanna Kerns, etc.

Sheryl from Thielburg Insurance sounds like Julie, the woman that was with Mac and TM when Ivan blew up the Ferrari.

Aspirin and beer? Granted, it was actually a mickey, but TM thought he was taking aspirin…with a beer!
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by ENSHealy »

Looks like I did some bad math up above, it should be 13.5, not 16, for the Magnumometer.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Chris109 »

ENSHealy wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:54 pm Looks like I did some bad math up above, it should be 13.5, not 16, for the Magnumometer.

Into the brig you go.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Chris109 »

Was just checking out the episode. One of the actors was Ford Austin as 'Orphan 2'. Nice muscles.