6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 101

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Seaver41 »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Overall, I like this episode, but the final scene where Rick dresses up like Rambo and runs across the rocky terrain with his uzi ruins it for me. Manetti just looks so uncoordinated and awkward, I just can't imagine him ever being a soldier in the past.
man I couldn't agree more......not an athletic bone in his body. I liked the episode, but it still had an air of cheesiness. Let's be honest, Larry Manetti overacted in a big way. He's better playing the calm club manager or punching bag.......but getting all dramatic is not his forte.

I'd also call out some bad directing/editing........Rick goes from hair trigger on the uzi to being tumbled over a table to sitting on floor saying what have I done in seconds........too much for me to digest. I understand those mentioning a 2 hour fortmat would've been better. It seemed rushed in the end. They could've and did not develop the Carol angle and investigation......instead we jump to Icepick and a commando raid by Rick.

snp389
Captain

#47 Post by snp389 »

Some of the best helicopter flying I have ever seen! I would love to see some of the stuff that ended up on the cutting room floor.
Incredible flying.

I reckon the scene with TSM and JQH in the study, is one of the best in the entire series! Both always have little spats at each other, but also know when they have over-stepped the boundary.
The look on Tom's face when he realises, and then Higgins' acknowledgment to then offering TSM a whiskey, is some of the best acting ever.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Shotgun video?

#48 Post by N1095A »

Anyone know if there is video on youtube or anywhere of TM shooting down Higgins' plane from the end of this episode?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#49 Post by Sisophous »

Styles Bitchley wrote:the final scene where Rick dresses up like Rambo and runs across the rocky terrain with his uzi ruins it for me. Manetti just looks so uncoordinated and awkward, I just can't imagine him ever being a soldier in the past.
Same here, sometimes I am at a loss to understand why they put things into the script. Manetti is believable as a club owner, but he waddles when he runs and has no athletic ability whatsoever until he became Rambo in this episode. And, his acting skills are not of a high caliber, all he seems to show is a bad temper when they give him a larger role. And, a nasty temper at that. He is best running down leads and doing investigative work but when they expand his role, it does not work.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Re:

#50 Post by Doc Ibold »

Sisophous wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:the final scene where Rick dresses up like Rambo and runs across the rocky terrain with his uzi ruins it for me. Manetti just looks so uncoordinated and awkward, I just can't imagine him ever being a soldier in the past.
Same here, sometimes I am at a loss to understand why they put things into the script. Manetti is believable as a club owner, but he waddles when he runs and has no athletic ability whatsoever until he became Rambo in this episode. And, his acting skills are not of a high caliber, all he seems to show is a bad temper when they give him a larger role. And, a nasty temper at that. He is best running down leads and doing investigative work but when they expand his role, it does not work.
I think because the character of Rick is based on Larry Manetti playing Larry Manetti. No one understood Bogie Rick in the pilot, and frankly I think that was for the best. While the Rambo Rick scenario was a tad bit unbelievable, it makes sense when you look at his character development up to that point, as you put it - a nasty temper. So, if Rick knows that his only blood relative left in the world (whom he is extremely overprotective of and not objective about in the first place) has been murdered, he has access to and knowledge of how to use firearms an a history of hare brained schemes and hot headed thinking.. It does make sense that he would go off half cocked and try and take the guys out himself. He has a history of falling into traps (see Past Tense) so it's obvious he's not Super Soldier. I think it would be a tad bit more unrealistic for him to Magnum out in the guys and be completely lethal on a one man killing spree.

I think the more unrealistic thing is them chasing down the thugs in a helicopter spraying down fire and having no consequences afterwards, even with the suspension of disbelief.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re: Distant Relative (4.4)

#51 Post by charybdis1966 »

Lots of light and shade in this episode, tragedy and humour from one comment to the next. TM must have felt devastated when he realised Ricks sister got killed on his watch and Rick was understandably angry at him.

I voted this as "pretty good" and one that cements the camaraderie of the three vets; extending the I guess you would call TM/Rick/TC as the 3 musketeers with Higgins as an elderly D'Artagnan.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#52 Post by marlboro »

I agree with those who said they thought this episode would have worked better as a two-parter. The first half could have been the lighter comedy episode ending with the shocking death of Wendy. The second episode could have been the grittier half of the story - Magnum's investigation, the revelations about Wendy's past, and Rick's mental turmoil.

I also think the shifts in tone between comedy and drama are really jarring. Magnum shooting down Higgin's plane was hilarious, but I don't think it was an appropriate ending to this story. If this story had been a two-parter I would have put that scene just before the ending of part one, right before the news that Wendy is dead.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by charybdis1966 »

marlboro wrote:I agree with those who said they thought this episode would have worked better as a two-parter. The first half could have been the lighter comedy episode ending with the shocking death of Wendy. The second episode could have been the grittier half of the story - Magnum's investigation, the revelations about Wendy's past, and Rick's mental turmoil.

I also think the shifts in tone between comedy and drama are really jarring. Magnum shooting down Higgin's plane was hilarious, but I don't think it was an appropriate ending to this story. If this story had been a two-parter I would have put that scene just before the ending of part one, right before the news that Wendy is dead.
Good points raised there Marlboro; it does seem like this story had untapped potential and could have been comparable to "Did you see the sunrise" although on a different dramatic level.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by 308GUY »

The more I see this one, the more I like it. Have to agree with the "should have been done as a two parter" opinions though. Would have lent itself much better to story development and plot unfolding. It is what it is.

Question which has been touched on previously here: the two scenes where TM is looking out at Higgins (and Agatha for the first one) flying the planes, is supposed to be looking from the questhouse, yes? So that kind of helps establish the physical location of it, (the guesthouse), or at least what we are supposed to accept it to be, but where were these shots actually taken from? We briefly see the back side of the main house, I'm guessing, as TM goes back inside, but are we to take it that is supposed to represent the guesthouse, when the basic configuration is all wrong according to what we have been led to believe is it's sturcture and location? There must be a logical explanation, but I'm not seeing it. Can anyone put it in terms that can be easily understood. What am I missing?

Still rated it at an 8.5, mostly for the reasons mentioned previously by everyone who posted their negatives about it. Could have been so much better.........ah well. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by 308GTS »

I must have watched this ep at least 5-10 times during the 80's, but watched it again recently and have to say it's just a so so episode, mainly for the reasons stated by others, the hokey over the top acting by Manetti! He really wasn't an actor with any range at all, and yes his running, or should I say waddle is a bit off putting, yet we are supposed to believe that he was a Navy Gunner!

The only saving grace as ever is TM's acting, TM and Higgins classic scenes at the beginning and end, and to some degree TC, who was always way better as an actor than LM.

Wendy was super hot though, a real looker!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

308GUY wrote: Question which has been touched on previously here: the two scenes where TM is looking out at Higgins (and Agatha for the first one) flying the planes, is supposed to be looking from the questhouse, yes? So that kind of helps establish the physical location of it, (the guesthouse), or at least what we are supposed to accept it to be, but where were these shots actually taken from?
The shots look like they were really taken from inside Pahonu, through a window on the ocean side. Of course they want us to think TM is looking at them from the guesthouse. TM looks like he was superimposed.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by 308GUY »

Thanks RG, that's exactly what I had concluded.

Unless somebody has evidence to the contrary, we'll go with it as an explanation. :magnum:

Someday I'm gonna have to figure out just how to do those screen "captures"! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#58 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought it was alright, but agree with a lot of the points others have made about it. The comedy scenes with the model planes were really, really good, but almost seem out of place in this episode. Magnum says that he had just gone four straight days with no real sleep and then he's firing a shot gun? That kind of takes some of the humor out of it for me. The random Carol Channing scene seemed like she was suddenly available at the last minute so they wrote that into the script so they could use her. I can understand Rick snapping and going on a revenge mission alone, but it wasn't a well done scene. It was also never explained why the federal agent that was in Wendy's bedroom didn't identify himself when Rick and Thomas were calling out to Wendy and identifying themselves. It also seemed awkward with Icepick's scene. TC seemed terrified and Magnum didn't seem too comfortable, but as often as Icepick fed info via Rick to Magnum you'd think they'd have a more trusting relationship. Another thing that bugged me was that going on Wendy's age of 22 and future references as to their age difference that would've made Rick only about 30. He seemed much older than that. That would've put him at about 20 when he was part of Magnum's team in Viet Nam.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#59 Post by Doc Ibold »

SignGuyHPW wrote:I thought it was alright, but agree with a lot of the points others have made about it. The comedy scenes with the model planes were really, really good, but almost seem out of place in this episode. Magnum says that he had just gone four straight days with no real sleep and then he's firing a shot gun? That kind of takes some of the humor out of it for me. The random Carol Channing scene seemed like she was suddenly available at the last minute so they wrote that into the script so they could use her. I can understand Rick snapping and going on a revenge mission alone, but it wasn't a well done scene. It was also never explained why the federal agent that was in Wendy's bedroom didn't identify himself when Rick and Thomas were calling out to Wendy and identifying themselves. It also seemed awkward with Icepick's scene. TC seemed terrified and Magnum didn't seem too comfortable, but as often as Icepick fed info via Rick to Magnum you'd think they'd have a more trusting relationship. Another thing that bugged me was that going on Wendy's age of 22 and future references as to their age difference that would've made Rick only about 30. He seemed much older than that. That would've put him at about 20 when he was part of Magnum's team in Viet Nam.
I think this episode paired with "Way of The Stalking Horse" from S6 show the arc that Ice Pick played in the show from being openly hostile to Magnum and TC in this one... to the hospital scene in WOTSH.

It's also interesting to see how both of them treat Ice Pick (which.. kind of doesn't change throughout the series). Magnum seems to take the somewhat naieve approach of thinking that they are buddies and can just go see Ice Pick whenever and everything will be fine. Whereas TC sees that this guy could kill the both of them if he so chose and treats himlike he was handling a king cobra.

100% agree with the age difference between Rick and his sister. I guess I could see him being 20 when he was in Vietnam, but Island life must have aged him. But then again Ricks life has always been a little murky.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#60 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Just watched The People vs. Orville Wright and that listed specific years and ages so it would've put Rick at around Magnum's age and Wendy's true age at closer to 30 when Distant Relative happened.