6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 101

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#16 Post by Rutledal »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:* I know it’s not on the DVD, but I wonder if it’s been verified that this episode has no opening trailer? When Five ran the series in 2002-3, the opening trailers for all episodes were cut off, so I can’t compare to those recordings. But I do know that on various DVD releases of ‘Knight Rider’ and ‘The A-Team’, some opening trailers are removed for reasons unknown.
My DVD has opening previews.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Rutledal wrote:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:* I know it’s not on the DVD, but I wonder if it’s been verified that this episode has no opening trailer? When Five ran the series in 2002-3, the opening trailers for all episodes were cut off, so I can’t compare to those recordings. But I do know that on various DVD releases of ‘Knight Rider’ and ‘The A-Team’, some opening trailers are removed for reasons unknown.
My DVD has opening previews.
Mine too, but not for this episode.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by Rutledal »

My DVD has opening previews for this episode.

Sorry for not making that clearer in my first post.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by lutherhgillis »

This one caught me by surprize. I expected the siste would not be the angel that Rick thought she was but I did not expect her to get wasted. The punk club looked eerily familiar. The 80s are a little hazy for me due to age but I remember the club scene pretty well. We had some great bands in our town.

I shared a table with Artemus Pyle from Lynyrd Skynyrd and several members of the Marshall Tucker Band on a few club occasions. Mothers Finest, April Wine, Starbuck, Nantucket, Hank Jr, and many others played clubs and arenas in my town.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Nifty
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#20 Post by Nifty »

JMHO...

I didn't like it because it seemed too condensed. I think this could have been better as a two-parter, giving more time to develop the Wendy character. Reason is, a blood sister dies - and it seems that they just hurried up to solve the case and get to the final chase (to fit it in one episode). Could have more time on Rick and the mourning period.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#21 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Good point Nifty. I think a two parter would've done this story line some justice.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#22 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yeah, we move too quickly from meeting Rick's sister - who he's never spoken of before - to getting over her demise. Two-hour special would have been great.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#23 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Overall, I like this episode, but the final scene where Rick dresses up like Rambo and runs across the rocky terrain with his uzi ruins it for me. Manetti just looks so uncoordinated and awkward, I just can't imagine him ever being a soldier in the past.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#24 Post by N1095A »

In the punk club Wendy orders a Bora Gora Bazooka. Bora Gora is the fictional setting of Bellisario's show "Tales Of The Gold Monkey".

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#25 Post by J.J. Walters »

Good spot Mike! I always thought she said "Bora Bora Bazooka". But you're right, it's "Bora Gora"! What a great little tie-in to Tales of the Gold Monkey. I love it when they do stuff like this. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

mcgarrett11
Ensign

#26 Post by mcgarrett11 »

This episode has become my favorite Magnum episode, hands down. It is truly a 10.0, perfect in my book. It has all the classic Magnum PI elements on hand: the great humor (very classic scene with the remote controlled planes), the camaraderie between the friends, great Higgins-Magnum discussion after the sister's death, great action scenes (with the helicopter darting in and around the trees), good mystery, and great acting, especially Selleck. Plus we get Ice Pick and Carol as well.

For me, this is Magnum at its very best. And every character moment and reaction seemed to ring true, nothing was short-changed.

This definitely made my day; especially with the news that Tom Selleck will be returning to CBS this fall in a new series, and also news that Hawaii Five-0 is coming back to CBS as well. Good times!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by AmandaByNight »

This is also a favorite of mine. I'll just put it out there - Rick was my big crush. I even wrote Larry Manetti a letter in the 80s and got an autographed photo. It's a prized possession!

I liked this episode because it allowed Larry to really get into something more than just being a side kick. He's so good here, and as a whole, the way this episode goes from funny to devestating is just pitch-perfect.

The Carol Channing scene is so WTF?!? And it's perfect, because it's a huge laugh right before the gut punch. Very well played by all.

Oh, and did I say Larry Manetti is cute? :)

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by steveadl »

OK so any chance someone with better computer skills than myself can post some screen shots of the only scenes to be filmed inside the Anderson Estate during Magnum filming? (referred to here: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 5509#25509 )
In "Distant Relative" the scene where Magnum looks out of the window at Higgins and Agatha flying the model planes is also, I believe, inside the main house. Once again you can see the actual exterior of the area of the sea wall that doesn't have foliage in front of it.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#29 Post by J.J. Walters »

The camera is technically inside, but it's filming outside.

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by steveadl »

Thanks for the screen grab JJ. I knew it was looking outside, I was hoping however it wouldn't be such a tight shot and we would have seen a bit more of the room. Oh well...