6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 89

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Steve »

This weekend I happened to come across several old autographed baseballs my Dad had given me years before. I knew two of the three balls were signed by the Minnesota Twins (‘68 & ‘71).
Island Hopper, I am curious what autographs you have on those baseballs. I grew up in Minnesota from age 12 to age 29 (1965 to 1983) and was a huge Twins fan in the late 60's and 70's. I was especially a big fan of Rod Carew and tried my best to copy his batting and throwing style when I played Baseball. Interesting how he was one of those ball players that came close that elusive .400 batting average (.388 in 1977) and that is not a missprint...... LOL.......

Steve
Chicago

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#12 Post by IslandHopper »

Steve wrote:
This weekend I happened to come across several old autographed baseballs my Dad had given me years before. I knew two of the three balls were signed by the Minnesota Twins (‘68 & ‘71).
Island Hopper, I am curious what autographs you have on those baseballs. I grew up in Minnesota from age 12 to age 29 (1965 to 1983) and was a huge Twins fan in the late 60's and 70's.
Steve,

Per your request, here are the signatures on the baseballs.

1968 Minnesota Twins signatures include:
Bob Miller, Jim Roland, Frank Kostro, Jim Merritt, Bruce Look, Tom Hall, Jim Holt, Harmon Killebrew, Rod Carew, Dave Boswell, Rich Rollins, Jim Perry, Rich Renick, Bob Allison, Dean Chance, Al Worthington, Cesar Tovar, Rich Reese, Tony Oliva, Jerry Zimmerman, Jim Katt, Ron Keller, Ted Uhlaender. There are a few other signatures, but I can't make them out. They may be part of the coaching staff, but I'm not sure.

1971 Minnestota Twins signatures include:

Steve Luebber, Rick Renick, Bob Gebhard, Jim Perry, Tom Tischinski, Phil Roof, Jim Holt, Harmon Killebrew, Rich Reese, Jim Nettles, Tony Oliva, George Thomas, Tom Hall, George Mitterwald, Jim Katt, Danny Thompson, Hal Haydel, Bert Blyleven, Stan Williams, Brant Alyea, Steve Braun, Cesar Tovar, and others that I cannot make out.

The signatures from the 1952 Washington Senators include:

Mickey Vernon, Ed Yost, Ken Wood, Gil Coan, Pete Runnels, Tom Ferrick, Joe Haynes, Sandy Consuegra, Frank Campos, Julio Moreno, Randy Gumpert, Mel Hoderiein, Spec Shea, Mickey Grasso, Don Johnson, as well as others.

Hope this helps Steve.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Herman
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#13 Post by Herman »

IslandHopper wrote:This episode aired on November 3, 1983, which would mean Higgins finished his upper second at Sandhurst in July, 1946. This contradicts what is already in Higgins’ history. In 1946, Higgins was in Egypt; Nuremberg, Germany; and Vienna. Higgins was supposedly at Sandhurst from 1934 through 1937
I've noticed that Higgins has made several mistakes about how long ago certain events occurred, usually of about ten years. When he mentions a date and place, his memory is reliable; but when he calculates how long ago something happened, he undershoots. It's like his mind refused to continue marking the passage of time about ten years ago.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#14 Post by rubber chicken »

Here's the "Day-N-Dark" convenience store.
It seems the location used to be a Handi Pantry store and gas station and may now be a kidney dialysis center...
In addition, Liberty Dialysis-Hawaii LLC is investing $2.9 million to renovate an 8,000-square-foot building, formerly a Handi Pantry store and a gas station, at 3625 Harding Ave. It plans to open a new kidney dialysis center in mid-October.
But the address has also been used for Applied Graphics Warehouse, so I'm not sure what's there now. Anyway, it's too bad we can no longer visit a store there.

Ronnie's Speed Shop was located about here, but the three block area has since been redeveloped. Fortunately I was able to make out the street sign (with some difficulty), and the tallest building in the top right picture of the collage still exists.
I wonder if Ronnie's Speed Shop competed with Rodney Radcliff's "little shop" (from Old Acquaintance - 6.3). Or maybe Ronnie & Rodney were known to kick back and have a few beers once in a while in some china town dive.

pickled-egg-please
Last edited by rubber chicken on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Steve »

Nice work, Rubber Chicken. I just wish you would have done this one year ago as it was last April I went over there and drove my wife absolutely nuts looking for some of the filming locations. In fact, after visiting The Estate and frolicking in the tidal pool I had to look for locations on the sly as we were driving around. That was one spot I was truly trying to find as having worked for 7 Eleven for a couple of years back in the seventies I had sympathy for TM having to wear a silly work smock/shirt, having to deal with bratty kids playing the video games and having the slupee machine blow up in my face way to many times to count! I also think Darleen Carr was sexy as all gitout having that prissy exterior, but you just know she would look great in some Victoria Secrets.........LOL. I think I got fairly close to that location as I had a feeling it was somewhere near H1 and in the vacinity of Diamondhead, as many locations were.

Steve
Chicago

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#16 Post by rubber chicken »

Hehe, on top of all that did your friends come into the store bothering you and making jokes? And Darleen Carr, yeah, totally hubba hubba. You described my attraction to her well. I think she needed a walk with me on the beach, followed by a relaxing massage.

I'm looking forward to someone actually making use of these location postings while on Oahu. I'm afraid I might affect some marriages slightly, by giving Magnum fans a better opportunity to drag there not-so-Magnum-fan spouses along, but so be it. :wink:

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#17 Post by golfmobile »

rc,

Since I seem to be the next one going, could you possibly work up a list of all the places you've found and then maybe a map with each of the places marked with a star or something? At least that way I might be able to direct my "driver" to certain areas, not in chronological order, but at least in geographic area (things closest to each other in a particular area)? I have found some things just searching plain old Google Earth (the Walker Estate, for example -- not to mention Robin's Nest, first and foremost). I've managed to talk Larry into going to the tidal pool, of course (bless his heart!), but other things to do a drive-by on might be interesting. If he's driving, then I can snap the pictures.

I have a feeling this would be a HECKUVA lot of work for you, but maybe just hit some of the highlights? The Byoto Temple, the cemetery, certain botanical gardens (Beauty Knows No Pain), etc. Adding in TC's and Rick's houses might be stretching it a bit, but who knows? A lot of things I can probably find simply with an Oahu map, but knowing each location's "tie-in" to MPI would make 'em extra special.

Heck, if it works out really well, then you could print 'em (or just put them on a CD so purchasers could print the map and the legend) and market 'em on eBay!! That's not a BAD idea . . . . Maybe pay you back a little for all the time you've spent finding everything!

But if you don't want to sell your product (and I would buy it, I promise!), then this would be a GREAT document for James to post somewhere here on the site -- future reference for anyone going there.
Good luck!

golf

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

Dang, I was really hoping the store would still be there. I really wanted to walk in there and say, "Pickled-egg, please". ;)

Great job in finding it RC!

I second the idea of a "Magnum Map". That would be awesome! It would make a great addition to the On Location page.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#19 Post by rubber chicken »

Well I do have all these locations in Google Earth, along with the episode number and name, and other applicable information, such as addresses and web links. I could simply provide a .kmz file and anyone could then see all the work I've done - and other's finds too, Sam, James, etc. (I've tried to note accurately in my GE files who deserves credit). I've held off mentioning this because it's not in a formal, fully organized state. And many places I haven't even marked - the walker estate for example - because I haven't come to them yet, but maybe I can work on that. I was planning to make it all perfectly presentable, but that wouldn't be for awhile, and would take some work. But definitely when someone travels there I'd give the file to them, if I don't end up releasing it before.

The thing about a Magnum map in a picture, is that it would really have to be a huge picture to note places exactly, which is why GE is great, being able to zoom in as you please. But maybe an abbreviated map image is possible, which would include the main sites maybe listed off the Oahu image with lines going to the proper place, or simply numbered. I guess I'm just thinking out loud here, perhaps I should just release the .kmz file, messiness and poor spelling included.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#20 Post by golfmobile »

RC,

I was thinking about something along the lines what you see when you look at a map of an area showing all the hotels or lodging. So like a whole-island view but then stars or circles where there is some place used in MPI with a line going out from that mark, with some wording at the end of the line saying what is -- wait, that might be too little space for the wording. Just number the dots and then a legend at the bottom with what location each number is, maybe at least with its street address. If you wanted to get really fancy, then you could list the episodes it was used in, but that would just be icing or gravy, depending on which metaphor you prefer.

You could do that on a plain ole map you could download from the internet or wherever and with an editing program, just add the numbered circles or stars. Then you could print it and then maybe scan it so it eventually ends up in pdf format. Would that work?

Or if you can't get all the stuff on one map, maybe divide the island up into quarters, which could then be viewed larger, with the numbered marks.

Am I saying this clearly at all?

I don't know if I have a program that will open a .kmz file.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

golf, a .kmz file is opened with Google Earth (freeware).
rubber chicken wrote:The thing about a Magnum map in a picture, is that it would really have to be a huge picture to note places exactly, which is why GE is great, being able to zoom in as you please. But maybe an abbreviated map image is possible, which would include the main sites maybe listed off the Oahu image with lines going to the proper place, or simply numbered.
Hey RC, I could probably set up an interactive Oahu map (with multiple image rollover effects) using CSS and XHTML, which would work better than Javascript (better performance, less bloated code). Using the "sliding doors" technique, we could have all of the image rollover effects in one fairly large image file (the map). When the mouse is hovered over a marked section of the map (like Rick's pad, for instance), a text popup box would open up, providing additional information about the location.

This would require some work for sure, but it would be a good learning experience. I'm always looking to improve my CSS and XHTML skills. ;)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#22 Post by golfmobile »

James,

I've noticed on some rollover popups, you can have two or three popups for the same spot -- so if you want to learn even more, you could have the text balloon, including street address, if known, and then a second or third window that maybe could a picture of the location from a screenshot in the show (the way GE does this with the "balls" on "sticks" that open up like an umbrella when you click on one so you can then click on the individual "balls" -- Have you seen this on GE?) -- like with Rick's house, you could have street address of where it is found on GE and then a picture from the series. Of course, this would be only if there IS a picture from the show -- some we might have only the GE view. For example, do we have one of TC's house other than just out on his lanai?

Just another idea to increase your work load . . . .

But we still need a printable "driving" map we can take in the car when we're on Oahu trying to find the locations. I'll try to draw one out tonight and post a picture of what I'm thinking of, and then RC can determine if it's "do-able" the way I'm thinking.
"Portside, buddy."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#23 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, here's a VERY rough draft of what I'm thinking of. This is just in B&W and has only three locations shown, but those were just the first three I could think of off the top of my head.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

See, that's what I like about you golf - you like to think big! :)

Looking into this a bit more, the "sliding doors" approach may be a little problematic. I may just go with a "client-side image map" and have a separate page (small) for each hotspot (i.e. Magnum location).

I like the idea of a compact printable map, too. I'll add to the "list of things to do".

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#25 Post by rubber chicken »

I like the ideas. James, if you decide to tackle a printable or online map, I'll of course give you all the location info I have, if I haven't put it out before that.

I'm still overwhelmed by simply finding locations from each show, and will probably be doing that for months considering the number of shows I haven't gotten to yet. So I'll probably dedicate myself to that for the present.

And golfmobile, if nothing happens with a printable map by the time of your trip, you'll at least be able to look at my google earth .kmz file and pick and choose which locations you'd like to visit. Then perhaps you could mark those on a real map of Oahu, giving you only the info you want, and on a life size driving map. Kind of the best of both worlds.