6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 89

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This episode was ridiculously stupid, and pointless! :roll: This was worse than one of Magnum's (as Higgins would say) tawdry divorce cases! :x

The older ladies were somewhat funny at the end in their disguises...but other than that, this episode is pathetic and....as I said, pointless! :? Not one of my season 4 favorites.

Also...I never really could understand whether the elderly residents in that house saved it or not? I've only seen this a few times, as I can't usually stand the slap-stick stupidity, but to me I never heard or saw this aspect clarified at all? :shock:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#52 Post by miltontheripper »

I thought this was a decent episode that showcased some funny scenes. Love the pickled egg scene and Magnums rivalry with the kid who knocked over the beer cans he stacked. An earlier post mentioned the store being real, I picked up on this too by the 1980's Bud Light cans lol. Always like the Magnum baseball moments as I'm a huge baseball fan but agree with an earlier post that any seven year old (Thomas' age at the time) who liked baseball would know that a .381 average would be well remembered and easily recognized as an error. Hard to imagine that as serious as TC always seems about money and his business that he would donate the winnings to charity but then again he is a really good guy so I could be wrong.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Baseball cards, bizarre old ladies, an irritating kid who needed his butt kicked, and an idiotic grocery store manager who was so stupid she deserved to get robbed...I just find this episode pathetic and pointless! :x Not one of Magnums better or interesting cases that deserved an "episode", and not one of season 4's best either. :?
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

mandolabar
Captain

#54 Post by mandolabar »

I love this episode because of the scene where TC wins the final bingo round. He's so excited and suddenly just lunges at Higgins and hugs him, knocks over the stand with the ball-roller.

My daughter and I love this, because we have the strong impression that Hillerman was on the verge of breaking up with laughter....look at him, after TC lets go. It's a real smile, and he just has that "about to explode" look to him. :lol: We have a private theory that Hillerman walked offscreen right then because he had to, before he lost it--that was such a great bit of exuberance on Roger Mosley's part, he wouldn't want to ruin the take.

Also, someone posted that Hillerman looked good in the light-colored suit, and that he hadn't worn it in other episodes? Or something to that effect. He wore a light suit later, at the end of Letter to a Duchess...I'm still working through this season, so I can't speak to other times.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#55 Post by J.J. Walters »

Car ID needed...

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Braddah Kimo »

1940 or '41 Packard I would say.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Seaver41 »

N1095A wrote:Here's a note you may not know, Darleen Carr who played Ms. Wilcox has been married to Jameson Parker, A.J. from Simon & Simon since 1992.
Jameson was no dummy. Looks like she had a handful of appearances on Simon and Simon......likely leading to those 2 hooking up for marriage.

Something about redheads makes me nuts. I'd be like that State Farm 'Mayhem' character where he portrays the dog chewing on a bone in the midst of a burglary.........that'd be me with a redhead......"take what you want boys, I'm good"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Seaver41 »

I really enjoyed this episode. I had not seen it since the original run and obligatory summer rerun (back when reruns were set in order leading up to season finale right before new season). Loved the piano guy. Had me cracking up when he played the last note before repossession. I found myself chuckling throughout.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#59 Post by rubber chicken »

Concerning the car ID... months ago I put it on the IMCDb but forgot to post the results here. The verdict is a 1939 LaSalle Touring Sedan, or to be more exact, a 1939 LaSalle 4 door Touring Sedan series 50.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#60 Post by J.J. Walters »

So, the LaSalle sisters drive a LaSalle! How cool! Nice touch.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#61 Post by rubber chicken »

Very clever, I hadn't remembered their names. I wonder if the sisters had a different surname when the script was first written, which was then changed to LaSalle when they found the car. Or they could have intentionally selected a LaSalle car to match the sister's surname as it already was in the script. Probably not a coincidence anyway.

firefly
Commander

#62 Post by firefly »

there is one flub that i noticed when watching this episode the other night, albeit it was certainly done for comedic value as opposed to being a serious part of the episode.

when magnum is at the auto-body shop and gets sprayed in the face with the paint there is no way that he would have been able to keep going like he did. even with the fact that he had his sunglasses on, the sheer amount of solvents (not to mention carcinogens like isocyanates) contained in auto paint back then would have left him on the ground.

i did like the episode, good but not great, i give it an eight. probably would have only gotten a seven if not for the previously mentioned scene where tc wins the final bingo round. i loved all of his plans for what he was going to use the money for. that and ms. wilcox was quite the cutie :D

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re:

#63 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

lutherhgillis wrote:Yea, Wilcox was a looker but boy what a hostile attitude... I would consider her a b*@%&...
That only makes her sexier. Where is the fun in taming a meek horse?

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re: Limited Engagement (4.5)

#64 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this episode last night and apart from a few comedic moments this will not be one I'll hurry to watch again.

The old ladies, while quite quaint initially, just got annoying when it came to accepting help from TM, of course there was a reason for that, as we discover later on, but they were rather condescending in their attitude and not terribly likeable.

The story seemed to be a bit confused and the plot twists rather goofy with the resolution of the episode being a bit convoluted and ultimately unsatisfactory in my opinion.
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Limited Engagement (4.5)

#65 Post by marlboro »

I thought this one was just "ok" Saving old people from being evicted by an evil landlord is a bit too "Highway to Heaven" for me.

I thought an interesting twist would have been to have the retirement community actually be a home for retired thieves and con artists. Have Magnum suspect that the oldsters are up to no good, but be completely unable to convince anyone that these sweet little septuagenarians are actually geriatric Bonnie and Clyde's.

p.s. I'm not usually into redheads, but I thought Mizzzz Wilcox was extremely attractive. The makers of Magnum certainly knew how to show their female guest stars at the height of their beauty.