5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 89

Gordon Katsumoto
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Limited Engagement (4.5)

#76 Post by Gordon Katsumoto »

Short story.

Last sunday, my favorite rugby team, the Cronulla Sharks, won the Premiership for the first time in its 50-year history. The team has an iconic song (see below). You'll probably recognize the tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKRlvpC7d6c

What has it got to do with Magnum P.I. and this particular episode?
Well it's one the tunes Herman plays on his new piano.

This episode, that already liked quite a lot, is now bumped into my top 10 :lol:

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

My question with the ending is, couldn't the cops just simply go back to the Fountainbleu to arrest the sisters? :P
It's like an easier version of the "Tran Quoc Jones" ending. :P

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#78 Post by K Hale »

mandolabar wrote:I love this episode because of the scene where TC wins the final bingo round. He's so excited and suddenly just lunges at Higgins and hugs him, knocks over the stand with the ball-roller.
I was going to bring this up. I'm pretty sure the knocking over of the ball roller was unintentional and I burst into laughter every time I see it happen.
My daughter and I love this, because we have the strong impression that Hillerman was on the verge of breaking up with laughter....look at him, after TC lets go. It's a real smile, and he just has that "about to explode" look to him. :lol: We have a private theory that Hillerman walked offscreen right then because he had to, before he lost it--that was such a great bit of exuberance on Roger Mosley's part, he wouldn't want to ruin the take.
I'll have to watch this again but you could be right. They could never recreate the spontaneous crashing of the ball roller!
Also, someone posted that Hillerman looked good in the light-colored suit, and that he hadn't worn it in other episodes? Or something to that effect. He wore a light suit later, at the end of Letter to a Duchess...I'm still working through this season, so I can't speak to other times.
Er... not a fan of beige suits on anyone, haha. Best suit of the series is Magnum's white 1936 outfit, omg.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by K Hale »

KingKC wrote:Overly demanding bosses, bratty kids, smart-aleck friends, old baseball players and dear sweet old ladies driving antique cars with one impersonating a man!! What else could you ask for in a light-hearted episode? I was glad that the voters in the forum gave it an 8.2. It was fun!!!

KingKC
It's a very fun episode. Someone mentioned the thing about Icepick wanting to be in the bingo gala (or actually he wanted to be the caller, I believe, bc I think Higgins says Agatha was filling in for him) and then backing out at the last minute but still donating money. I too was looking forward to seeing Icepick there with all the society people. And what WAS the point of bringing him up if he's not going to appear?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#80 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

K Hale wrote:
Also, someone posted that Hillerman looked good in the light-colored suit, and that he hadn't worn it in other episodes? Or something to that effect. He wore a light suit later, at the end of Letter to a Duchess...I'm still working through this season, so I can't speak to other times.
Er... not a fan of beige suits on anyone, haha. Best suit of the series is Magnum's white 1936 outfit, omg.
That suit was amazing. :D I remember Higgins wearing a light powder-blue suit early on in "The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club", but that was pretty much the only time we saw him in that color.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by K Hale »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:
K Hale wrote:
That suit was amazing. :D I remember Higgins wearing a light powder-blue suit early on in "The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club", but that was pretty much the only time we saw him in that color.
He had a powder blue KKC blazer that he sometimes wore. He also had it on in "Beauty Knows No Pain" too. But I think the pants were a more normal color, hahaha!
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#82 Post by Milton Collins »

N1095A wrote:TC: "Pickled egg please".
One of the funniest scenes ever. My wife makes pickled eggs often, and when we're in the living room, and she goes toward the kitchen, I always say "Pickled egg please." Of course she knows the gag by now, and usually just shakes her head and rolls her eyes.

Totally my favorite part of this episode I die laughing everytime I watch this one lol. A very fun and light episode and better than I remembered it’s been awhile.

Loved seeing Thomas stack the beer cans and it only get yelled at by Ms Roebuck but then have that little brat knock them down, hated that kid!

The very thought of Thomas working in a convenience store kills me lol.

I loved the old man who was a major leaguer and loved baseball. That was cool how they made him someone Thomas remembered, although as an avid baseball card collector I did notice that was a card from the late 60’s and not 1952. Doesn’t matter was super cool!

Those sisters were actually pretty funny and made for good characters!

I love when TM gets sprayed with the green pain ha ha ha. And also when Rick can’t atop screaming out the amounts of the donations at the bingo gala both totally crack me up lol!

Higgins having met them and one of their husbands before was really cool. I loved how he was willing to put on the bingo gala lol.

I highly doubt TC would have given up $10,000 of winnings being the savvy business owner he is. Cool that he did though but wow $10,000 in the mid 80’s was quite the chunk of change!

Fun episode overall

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by K Hale »

Milton Collins wrote: Higgins having met them and one of their husbands before was really cool.
In another life, they really did meet, haha.

Hillerman as Rodney James and Mildred Natwick as Mabel Pritchard in 1975's "At Long Last Love."
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Milton Collins »

K Hale wrote:
Milton Collins wrote: Higgins having met them and one of their husbands before was really cool.

Hillerman as Rodney James and Mildred Natwick as Mabel Pritchard in 1975's "At Long Last Love."
Wow how cool thanks for sharing I love John Hillerman in every role I've ever seen him in!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by K Hale »

Milton Collins wrote:
K Hale wrote:

Wow how cool thanks for sharing I love John Hillerman in every role I've ever seen him in!
I do too. He is consistently watchable in anything, regardless of how good the film/show itself is. Always does a good and believable job. Why he did not get more prominent movie roles, I cannot say. I question his agent's competence, lol
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by Milton Collins »

Wow how cool thanks for sharing I love John Hillerman in every role I've ever seen him in![/quote]
I do too. He is consistently watchable in anything, regardless of how good the film/show itself is. Always does a good and believable job. Why he did not get more prominent movie roles, I cannot say. I question his agent's competence, lol[/quote]

I so agree! I'm a huge Clint Eastwood fan and LOVE the movie High Plains Drifter in which Hillerman plays a small role as a storeowner. Really cool to see him in one of my favs! He should have garnered far bigger roles I agree agent must've sucked lol!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by K Hale »

I read in an article somewhere where he was quoted as saying that it was in fact Selleck's agent who suggested him for the role of Higgins. "They had seen me in something" was the way I think he put it.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by Milton Collins »

What a cool fun fact! Of course Selleck was the best character in my opinion but he added A TON and it wouldn't have been the same without him!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#89 Post by brianw »

Not a great episode, but had some funny moments... The beer cans, the green paint in TM's face, and TC's pickled egg buy were great. I agree, there is NO WAY that TM doesn't know the guy didn't actually hit .381. And Ms. Wilcox??? Yes, she was a hottie for sure. :wink:

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by ENSHealy »

4.5 LIMITED ENGAGEMENT
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 2 C-store uniform, red with blue flowers
Image Image
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless:
OMG/Extraordinarys:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 3
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice: 1
I know what you’re thinking: 1
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks: 1
Magnumometer: 9
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/387209971

Potential magnumania usernames: Tommy, Clive Krefting
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."