5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 109

Mark R.Y.
Captain

Re: Re:

#61 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Netsrak wrote:
Croix de Lorraine wrote:Could anyone help me with the name of the classical piece that's playing in the background in the scene where Higgins is getting ready for dinner carrying a centerpiece, just before they cut to Magnum getting ready to watch the baseball? Thanks!
It's Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.
It sounded to me more like a Verdi overture. The Sicilian Vespers maybe?

This is one of the best of Season 4. Quite a moving Higgins character study, as well as, as others have noted, some important Higgins-Magnum interaction re their friendship.

It's also a surf-ski episode! I always like those. I'm watching the entire 8 season in chronological order, and many of the episodes before this skimped on the "outdoorsy" aspects of Hawaii, which is a big factor in my love for this show. As enjoyable as the previous episode, "Limited Engagement," is, that could have taken place in just about any American city.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

Re: Letter to a Duchess (4.6)

#62 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Still dumbfounded as to how a martial arts expert like Higgins couldn't kick the crap out of the guys in the alley.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

This is one of my favourite episodes - mainly for Higgins and the Magnum/Higgins relationship. I just don't like the unrealistic fight scene at the end.

One thing I noticed recently: Why did Higgins get such a cheap taxi for Vivian instead of driving her to the airport himself or at least getting her a nice limo? She's "of the realm" and someone Higgins cares deeply for - yet Higgins gets her an old dented up station wagon with cloth seats! It doesn't even have power windows! (there is a "power window sound" when she rolls down the window, but she's clearly cranking a handle)

She's a duchess! Use the Ferrari! (or at least the Audi)
Mark R.Y. wrote:
Netsrak wrote:
Croix de Lorraine wrote:Could anyone help me with the name of the classical piece that's playing in the background in the scene where Higgins is getting ready for dinner carrying a centerpiece, just before they cut to Magnum getting ready to watch the baseball? Thanks!
It's Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.
It sounded to me more like a Verdi overture. The Sicilian Vespers maybe?
There are three pieces of music Higgins listens to while waiting. The second one is Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (played too fast, in my opinion), but that's not the one Croix de Lorraine is referring to, the one "just before they cut to Magnum getting ready to watch the baseball". I have no idea what it is, but it sounds like a waltz. I'd like to find out the name of the third piece.
Mrs. Higgins wrote:Still dumbfounded as to how a martial arts expert like Higgins couldn't kick the crap out of the guys in the alley.
Higgins does a pretty lousy job trying to fight the guys in the alley. Higgins even lets a guy push his cane out of the way as he walks past him - an easy way to disarm him.

Higgins should have fought like in "I Witness". :D

Of course, then the episode would have been over too quickly.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by K Hale »

Steve wrote:I just watched this one again. The scene in the study wherein Higgins lashes out at Magnum and TM looks at Higgins dead on and proclaims that attacks on his bad habits are withing the rules, but on his character are not, is in my opinion a defining moment on the complex relationship between Higgins and Magnum. Higgins apologizes and seems to be for one the very first times seeing Magnum the War Hero, the galant and chivalrous and friend to the end Magnum. Great writing and character development....Bravo!
Nah, he never meant it. Higgins shared something that was to him very personal, Magnum doesn't get it and kinda craps on it, so Higgins retreats behind a curtain of insults and Magnum calls him on it. I don't think there's more to it than that. They had long since respected one another's character. This is season 4!

I love this episode, even if I find it a little odd that for so many years JQH had such a crush on this woman he only met once for a few minutes that he kept a news clipping about her in a secret box with his war kill trophies. But hey, why not? I liked Vivian, and I like to think he later visited her in England as she invited him to do. IMO they really ought to have told her who wrote the letter, it might have caused her to look at Higgins differently. Then again, that might break Agatha's heart. :(
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

K Hale wrote:I love this episode, even if I find it a little odd that for so many years JQH had such a crush on this woman he only met once for a few minutes that he kept a news clipping about her in a secret box with his war kill trophies.
This is actually quite realistic and one of the reasons I like this episode so much.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
K Hale wrote:I love this episode, even if I find it a little odd that for so many years JQH had such a crush on this woman he only met once for a few minutes that he kept a news clipping about her in a secret box with his war kill trophies.
This is actually quite realistic and one of the reasons I like this episode so much.
Well, that sure begs the question! Is there something in your secret box? :shock:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#67 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL! K Hale, your lighting the forum on fire! I love it! Again, welcome to the site! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

K Hale wrote:Well, that sure begs the question! Is there something in your secret box? :shock:
That's classified. I can tell you that in Burma in 1983, me and Corky Bostwick met some girls that ... well... it's a long story.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
K Hale wrote:Well, that sure begs the question! Is there something in your secret box? :shock:
That's classified. I can tell you that in Burma in 1983, me and Corky Bostwick met some girls that ... well... it's a long story.
Popcorn, anyone?? :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by MaximRecoil »

Sir Fearing wrote: Higgins gives Vivian a key after she helped him with the books the first time:
Higgins: "Here's a key so you can enter the estate without calling. Since you'll be working here, it will be more convenient."
That was rather ad hoc on the writers' part. The estate's gate is motorized. It certainly wouldn't have a key which goes to a conventional lock, because that would prevent the gate from being able to be opened remotely. Theoretically, it could have a key switch which activates the motor that opens the gate (like a key switch in a car which activates the starter motor), but I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of anyone opening that gate with a key in any other episode. I seem to remember Magnum not being able to open the gate at least once (though I can't remember which episode it was). The estate's live-in security consultant doesn't have a key?
Styles Bitchley wrote:Finally, knowing what we know about the location of the guest house (real or the magical location on the show), there is no way that the baseball game was turned up loud enough for Higgins to hear it loudly in the main house...loud enough for him to need it turned down! Of course, this is to ensure Higgins walks in for the great discovery, but they could have dreamt up something more plausible, no?
Yeah, that TV was quiet enough that Magnum and the duchess could talk to each other without raising their voices, yet Higgins heard it from the main house at the same volume as if he were sitting in the guest house (in reality, he wouldn't have heard it at all), and all of the sudden too, even though the TV had been on all along. If Higgins had suddenly been granted the superhuman hearing necessary to hear a tiny TV speaker, driven by an amplifier outputting maybe a quarter of a watt at that volume, from dozens of yards away and through several walls, he would have not only heard the TV, but he would have heard Magnum and the duchess talking as well, and wouldn't have been surprised to see her when he barged into the guest house. The writers should have come up with a different excuse for Higgins to go to the guest house.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by KingKC »

I watched this again last night and really was not all that impressed. I sure would not give it the 8.7 rating and put it in the top 40. I guess I just like the investigation aspect of MPI a little more that the development of the relationships of the characters. That is just me. I am looking forward to Squeeze Play tonight. I remember it quite well and quite fondly.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#72 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IslandHopper wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:I got a question for you guys. I may have missed it, but in the flashback scene where we see Higgins met Vivian for the first time, where is it set? Higgins is in military attire and appears to be involved in some kind of military activity.

You can hear explosions in the background, so some sort of military action is taking place. I don't think the particular location or conflict is mentioned. However, it appears that Higgins' shoulder patch (Tactical Recognition Flash) is that of a British/Gurkha unit. His shoulder patch has two crossed Kurkis (curved knife used as a weapon and tool, a/k/a Gurkha Knife), which is a prominent feature of British/Gurkha military insignia. I am not certain of the specific Gurkha unit, but I believe the conflict is post WWII for two reasons. First, Higgins introduced himself as a Sergeant Major, and we are led to believe that Higgins was very young during WWII. I don’t believe Higgins ever revealed precisely when he became a Sergeant Major, but I’m almost certain it wasn’t during WWII. Remember, in “Luther Gillis: File #001” (season 5), Higgins said that in the Spring of 1954 he was the youngest in a squad of six spending three months watching the Andrews‘ Farm. Second, Vivian Brock Jones appears to be younger than Higgins, so she probably would have been a child during WWII.

There are many Gurkha units serving with the British Army. They have served since well before WWI and continue to serve today. During WWII, Gurkha units fought in North Africa, Syria, Greece, Italy, Burma and Singapore. Following India’s Independence in 1947, six Gurkha units were attached to the Indian Army and four were attached to the British Army. The four units attached to the British Army include, 2nd King Edward VII’s own Gurkha Rifles; 6th Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles; 7th Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Gurkha Rifles; and the 10th Princess Mary’s own Gurkha Rifles.

The 2nd King Edward VII’s own Gurkha Rifles post WWII history includes action during the Malayan Emergency from 1948 through 1960. Following their tour in Malaya, they served in Malaya, Borneo, Brunei and Hong Kong.

The 6th Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles post WWII history includes service in the Far East until the British withdrawal from East of Suez. In 1969, the 6th Gurkhas served in Hong Kong, Brunei and Church Crookham.

The 7th Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Gurkha Rifles post WWII history includes service in Malaya, Borneo and Hong Kong through 1970.

The 10th Princess Mary’s own Gurkha Rifles post WWII history also includes service during the Malayan Emergency from 1948 through 1960. From 1962 through 1966, the 10th Princess Mary’s own Gurkha Rifles saw action in the Indonesian Confrontation.

Higgins’ history tells us that he served in Burma in 1945. It is possible Higgins served with the 4th Battalion of the 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles during WWII. This unit fought in Burma during WWII. It was the lead element of the Indian 7th Infantry Division. Based on Higgins’ history, he very likely could have served with this unit. However, their insignia is a little bit different than the shoulder insignia on Higgins’ uniform in the episode. The Kurkis of the 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles are facing inward, not outward like the patch on his uniform. Therefore, the scene we see in “A Letter To A Duchess” is probably not from 1945 Burma because the unit patch is different, but more importantly, because Vivian would have been to young in 1945. Additionally, if she was ever in Burma, she most likely would not have still been there 1945. The war was raging and most of the British and Indian troops were very isolated. It would have been far to dangerous for Vivian to be anywhere near Higgins at that time. Therefore, it is more likely that the scene we see in the episode was supposed to take place much later, probably in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Of course, this is all conjecture, but based on “Higgins’ History,” Higgins‘ shoulder insignia, Vivian’s age and the limited information we have about Vivian‘s history, I would say that Higgins would have been attached to the 6th Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles in the Far East, perhaps Malaya in 1960, until the end of the Malayan Emergency in July 1960, or during the Indonesian Confrontation from 1962 through 1966. This part of his history is not accounted for, and Vivian would have been in her early to mid 20s. The primary reason I would say Higgins was attached to the 6th Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles is the shoulder insignia on Higgins' uniform most closely resembles the 6th Gurkha's Tactical Recognition Flash compared to the three other Gurkha units attached to the British Army after WWII.

I would like to know why the costume designer for the show chose that particular shoulder patch for Higgins. I suppose it's always possible that the selection of that particular shoulder insignia is a flub, and that scene was supposed to take place in 1945 while Higgins was in Burma. However, if this is the case, then this would qualify as a flub for many reasons, many of which have already been mentioned.

Aside from all of the technical stuff involving Higgins' shoulder insignia, this is also one of my favorite episodes from season 4. Higgins doing his commando stuff in an effort to save Vivian in the alley is great. The fight scene on the boat at the end is great too. There is a big guy who jumps from the upper deck onto the lower deck, but basically does a bellyflop onto a table and smashes it to bits. That looked like that hurt no matter how much training you've had, but it was hilarious. As the guy jumps he growls and roars and looks like he is doing his best impression of Superman, but without the ability to fly. He crashes down like a stone smashing the table. Although hilarious, I never realized what the point of that was. No one was really in danger except the poor sap who landed like a stone. Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode as it features Higgins prominently. A "Higgins-centric" episode as Doc would say.

Island Hopper,
I don't know how I missed this outstanding post before. I also see you haven't posted on Magnum Mania in four years, I hope you will consider
coming back.
By the way it was called "The Malayan Emergency" because Lloyds of London wouldn't cover the losses of the owners of rubber plantations and mining industries if the conflict had been described as a "war".

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by K Hale »

Just because I enjoy this sort of thing, here is a screen grab of the London Chronicle about the death of the Duke of Whitt. The text is a couple of nonsense paragraphs repeated over and over. Most startling is the ad at the bottom advertising slaves for sale for 1 pound apiece!

It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

Re:

#74 Post by LZeitgeist »

Steve wrote:I just watched this one again. The scene in the study wherein Higgins lashes out at Magnum and TM looks at Higgins dead on and proclaims that attacks on his bad habits are withing the rules, but on his character are not, is in my opinion a defining moment on the complex relationship between Higgins and Magnum. Higgins apologizes and seems to be for one the very first times seeing Magnum the War Hero, the galant and chivalrous and friend to the end Magnum. Great writing and character development....Bravo!
Agreed.

This may be my favorite episode of the series so far.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by ENSHealy »

4.6 LETTER TO A DUCHESS
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless:
OMG/Extraordinarys:
Higgins Organizations: 1 Honorary Chairman, Sons of the Empire
Higgins musings: 1
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking: .5 ½ point for an “I know…” in voiceover
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 4.5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/387579885

Potential magnumania usernames: Vivian Brock Jones, Lady Wilkerson, Duchess of Whitt

Thomas’ life savings consists of $33.64

Robin has a new Audi. (Is this the first time we see it?)

There are extra shots in the credits that weren’t used in the episode.

Episode Guide Correction:
Episode Guide wrote:When Higgins met with the kidnappers, the location was given as Hotel and Liliha Streets which do not intersect. The scene looks like it was filmed at Hotel and River Streets. (Noted by DutchZ)
Actually, Hotel and Liliha is the location given for the second meeting with the kidnappers, which we never see. We only see Higgins driving the Audi with Thomas in the back, presumably after meeting at the kidnappers at Hotel and Liliha and the being told to follow them to the docks. The meeting we see is supposedly at “Lunalilo Bridge.”

I’m confused about the surf ski paddle and why the club pays for it. Does the club own the paddle? If so, what paddle does TM usually use with his surf ski? Or is it TM’s personal paddle, but it has a crack in it, and he’s just using his representing the club in the race as an excuse why the KKC should pay for a new paddle for him?

What happened to Lady Wilkerson’s new apartment? She says that Rick got “a wonderful price on my ring, enough to pay for my new apartment.” Does she mean buy an apartment, or just one month’s rent? I’m wondering because Higgins gets her ring back. How much did it cost him? The purchase price of an apartment?

Lastly, who is the “Eric” that supposedly stole the jewels over the years? The brother in law (and now the Duke of Whitt)?” If so, that doesn’t fit with his being more concerned with the jewels than with Vivian, unless he fakes concern for the jewels and arranges a cash payment because he knows they’re fake. Why does Vivian have no choice but to “pity him, go back home, assume my duties.” Is he no longer the Duke of Whitt because of the theft? Seems like there are some loose ends here.
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."