No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 109

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

Re: Letter to a Duchess (4.6)

#51 Post by 308GTS »

Always enjoy this episode, and must have seen it at least 10 times now. Jane Merrow was certainly a looker!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Hawaii84
Captain

#52 Post by Hawaii84 »

Great episode. Reminds me of "Black on White."

EZiller
Captain

#53 Post by EZiller »

Somewhat similar to season 2's "Tropical Madness" once again we have TM and Higgins in a love triangle with another lovely and demure Brit. Given that TM & Hig are about 25 years apart in age this would seem unlikely. Vivian's age would probably be about halfway. It's always entertaining to see this side of Higgins, being smitten by a woman. Another brilliant job by Hillerman...I'm sure most of us have had a similar situation of being absolutely infatuated with someone only to realize they share that infatuation with your friend and not you.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#54 Post by marlboro »

To me, the relationship between Higgins and Magnum is what makes this show great. This episode really showcases their friendship, so I really enjoyed it.

What about that fight scene? I actually laughed out loud thane they guy "came off the top rope."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#55 Post by J.J. Walters »

marlboro wrote:What about that fight scene? I actually laughed out loud thane they guy "came off the top rope."
The dock fight scene is iconic! That is why I put a clip of it up on the Video page. The guy jumping off the top deck and crashing onto a table (while growling like Frankenstein) always cracks me up! Like you said, it's like he's "coming off the top rope" in a pro wrestling match or something! :)

http://magnum-mania.com/Video/Dock_Fight.html
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sir Fearing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#56 Post by Sir Fearing »

Styles Bitchley wrote:The next point is actually a flub unless someone has a better explanation. Higgins invites Vivian for dinner, but she thinks its Magnum. She comes over and shows up knocking on the guest house door...but who let her into the estate? Someone would have had to open the gate for her whether she arrived by taxi or car. Higgins had no idea she was there and Magnum didn't either. Did she hop the fence?
Higgins gives Vivian a key after she helped him with the books the first time:
Higgins: "Here's a key so you can enter the estate without calling. Since you'll be working here, it will be more convenient."
wilko wrote:Here's a flub.
Magnum returns to the estate to learn that Higgins has received a call from the kidnappers. Higgins is in the study, sitting with a snifter of brandy in his hand and the bottle on the table. Magnum sits opposite Higgins Higgins tells him about seeing Vivian in the Strand after the war. Suddenly in the midst of the conversation Magnum is also holding a snifter of brandy but he did not pour one for himself before sitting down, get up to get one nor did Higgins offer him one. Nor was there an empty glass on the table.
In the German language version you can hear someone walking and pour a glas of something. Nonetheless there is not enough time for Magnum to sit down again.
Half a world removed from England

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#57 Post by marlboro »

Weird. I rewatched the scene (American version) and there are definitely no walking sounds. Just the sound of a clock ticking in the background. A decanter on the table appears from somewhere between the beginning and ending of Higgins' story.

I wonder how many differences there are between the American and German releases.

Sir Fearing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#58 Post by Sir Fearing »

marlboro wrote:Weird. I rewatched the scene (American version) and there are definitely no walking sounds. Just the sound of a clock ticking in the background. A decanter on the table appears from somewhere between the beginning and ending of Higgins' story.

I wonder how many differences there are between the American and German releases.
Maybe I mistook the ticking of the clock with steps but there is more movement in the background and the clinking of glas. I uploaded the relevant seconds of the English and the German version on youtube:

English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTXk4tKYLuo
German: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOk9XtS0K2U

All along you can see Higgins looking and talking to a sitting Magnum (or an empty chair).
Half a world removed from England

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#59 Post by marlboro »

Yeah, I definitely heard pouring sounds. Looks like the German dubbers caught the goof and tried to fix it. Neat.

Turkey
Admiral

#60 Post by Turkey »

Great episode, loved the moment Higgins realised what Magnum is doing toward the end at the beach - then, even better, when Magnum starts to tell a 'Higgins Story' at the end of the episode :D
Make it two weeks.

Mark R.Y.
Captain

Re: Re:

#61 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Netsrak wrote:
Croix de Lorraine wrote:Could anyone help me with the name of the classical piece that's playing in the background in the scene where Higgins is getting ready for dinner carrying a centerpiece, just before they cut to Magnum getting ready to watch the baseball? Thanks!
It's Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.
It sounded to me more like a Verdi overture. The Sicilian Vespers maybe?

This is one of the best of Season 4. Quite a moving Higgins character study, as well as, as others have noted, some important Higgins-Magnum interaction re their friendship.

It's also a surf-ski episode! I always like those. I'm watching the entire 8 season in chronological order, and many of the episodes before this skimped on the "outdoorsy" aspects of Hawaii, which is a big factor in my love for this show. As enjoyable as the previous episode, "Limited Engagement," is, that could have taken place in just about any American city.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Still dumbfounded as to how a martial arts expert like Higgins couldn't kick the crap out of the guys in the alley.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

This is one of my favourite episodes - mainly for Higgins and the Magnum/Higgins relationship. I just don't like the unrealistic fight scene at the end.

One thing I noticed recently: Why did Higgins get such a cheap taxi for Vivian instead of driving her to the airport himself or at least getting her a nice limo? She's "of the realm" and someone Higgins cares deeply for - yet Higgins gets her an old dented up station wagon with cloth seats! It doesn't even have power windows! (there is a "power window sound" when she rolls down the window, but she's clearly cranking a handle)

She's a duchess! Use the Ferrari! (or at least the Audi)
Mark R.Y. wrote:
Netsrak wrote:
Croix de Lorraine wrote:Could anyone help me with the name of the classical piece that's playing in the background in the scene where Higgins is getting ready for dinner carrying a centerpiece, just before they cut to Magnum getting ready to watch the baseball? Thanks!
It's Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.
It sounded to me more like a Verdi overture. The Sicilian Vespers maybe?
There are three pieces of music Higgins listens to while waiting. The second one is Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (played too fast, in my opinion), but that's not the one Croix de Lorraine is referring to, the one "just before they cut to Magnum getting ready to watch the baseball". I have no idea what it is, but it sounds like a waltz. I'd like to find out the name of the third piece.
Mrs. Higgins wrote:Still dumbfounded as to how a martial arts expert like Higgins couldn't kick the crap out of the guys in the alley.
Higgins does a pretty lousy job trying to fight the guys in the alley. Higgins even lets a guy push his cane out of the way as he walks past him - an easy way to disarm him.

Higgins should have fought like in "I Witness". :D

Of course, then the episode would have been over too quickly.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by K Hale »

Steve wrote:I just watched this one again. The scene in the study wherein Higgins lashes out at Magnum and TM looks at Higgins dead on and proclaims that attacks on his bad habits are withing the rules, but on his character are not, is in my opinion a defining moment on the complex relationship between Higgins and Magnum. Higgins apologizes and seems to be for one the very first times seeing Magnum the War Hero, the galant and chivalrous and friend to the end Magnum. Great writing and character development....Bravo!
Nah, he never meant it. Higgins shared something that was to him very personal, Magnum doesn't get it and kinda craps on it, so Higgins retreats behind a curtain of insults and Magnum calls him on it. I don't think there's more to it than that. They had long since respected one another's character. This is season 4!

I love this episode, even if I find it a little odd that for so many years JQH had such a crush on this woman he only met once for a few minutes that he kept a news clipping about her in a secret box with his war kill trophies. But hey, why not? I liked Vivian, and I like to think he later visited her in England as she invited him to do. IMO they really ought to have told her who wrote the letter, it might have caused her to look at Higgins differently. Then again, that might break Agatha's heart. :(
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

K Hale wrote:I love this episode, even if I find it a little odd that for so many years JQH had such a crush on this woman he only met once for a few minutes that he kept a news clipping about her in a secret box with his war kill trophies.
This is actually quite realistic and one of the reasons I like this episode so much.