No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 109

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Re:

#46 Post by J.J. Walters »

marlboro wrote:Maybe "Herman" found it for him. Maybe that's why he was circling him in "Home From the Sea." He wasn't contemplating eating him - he just wanted to return his hat. "Listen buddy, stop counting for a minute and take your dang hat back. I've got an appointment with Robert Shaw at noon, and i haven't got time to deal with this."
:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Netsrak
Ensign

Re:

#47 Post by Netsrak »

Just watched this one, and was curious about where Higgie Baby walked out of the British shop... It's not in rubber chicken's guide, so I deduced the location myself... Higgins emerges downtown on Bethel Street in between Merchant and South King (coordinates 21.30972, -157.86309). I believe the building is currently used by the Kumu Kahua Theatre, which fronts on Merchant Street; Higgins comes out a side door. The assault on Vivian takes place directly across Bethel Street.

So of course I had to keep going...

Want to say that the "Lunalilo Bridge", where Higgins meets Wilkes, is the footbridge at Waialae Beach Park (21.26953, -157.77729, right by the KK Club Beach Bar set!), but I'm not 100% on that.

The establishng shot at the beginning of chapter 4 (37:37) is an interesting view of Honolulu from atop the Honolulu Municipal Building (21.30419, -157.85477), with South Street at left, the historic Kawaiaha'o Church at lower right, and Honolulu Harbor & Sand Island in the distance. The Municipal Building and its roof were previously used in "Ghost Writer" (2.12), so I presume this shot comes from that shoot.

With Magnum hiding in the backseat, Higgins drives over the old metal Sand Island Parkway bridge (21.31472 -157.88804)-- oddly coming from Sand Island, which makes no sense geographically. But hey, you can see Diamond Head in the background!

The big climax by the boat appears to take place a few hundred yards northeast of the Sand Island bridge (21.31650, -157.88629). The distinctive white pipe isn't there in the current satellite image, but otherwise the geography fits.

Finally... The surf ski race is truly bizarre geographically, apparently switching back and forth between Kailua Bay (on the windward side of the island) and Maunalua Bay (on the leeward side)! It starts out at 42:00 with a helicopter establishing shot over Kailua Beach Park (21.39605 -157.72215), then suddenly at 42:04 we're in the water off of Waialae Beach Park with Koko Crater & Koko Head in the background! Then from 42:12 to 42:29 we're treated to a long shot of the competitors-- back over in Kailua Bay, as the Mokapu Peninsula is clearly visible in the distance as the shot widens out. At 42:29, we're back to the Maunalua Bay with the distinctive slopes of Koko Head behind Magnum. Very strange. There were previous episodes with surf ski races, weren't there? I imagine the producers were just reusing old footage for parts of this one.

I'm still a bit puzzled by the opening shots from 2:57 to 3:20 (Waianae coast?), but I guess those can wait for another time. (Edit: Oh, I think the first shot is from the water off of Ka'a'awa... That pinnacle back behind the valley is pretty distinctive. I know I've seen some episodes with shots from here before.)
Croix de Lorraine wrote:Could anyone help me with the name of the classical piece that's playing in the background in the scene where Higgins is getting ready for dinner carrying a centerpiece, just before they cut to Magnum getting ready to watch the baseball? Thanks!
It's Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Letter to a Duchess (4.6)

#48 Post by Stelth »

This is a great episode but I found the duchess' wonky eye a bit off-putting.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#49 Post by Styles Bitchley »

This is a great episode but in my most recent watching, I couldn't help noticing some convenient slips to help the plot along.

The first is Higgins writing the note, but not signing it because he "couldn't bring himself to do it." He would never have done this if it weren't to ensure the mix up happened for the show.

The next point is actually a flub unless someone has a better explanation. Higgins invites Vivian for dinner, but she thinks its Magnum. She comes over and shows up knocking on the guest house door...but who let her into the estate? Someone would have had to open the gate for her whether she arrived by taxi or car. Higgins had no idea she was there and Magnum didn't either. Did she hop the fence?

Finally, knowing what we know about the location of the guest house (real or the magical location on the show), there is no way that the baseball game was turned up loud enough for Higgins to hear it loudly in the main house...loud enough for him to need it turned down! Of course, this is to ensure Higgins walks in for the great discovery, but they could have dreamt up something more plausible, no?

Don't get me wrong, there's great stuff in this ep and I really enjoyed it. Still, I can't help noticing the glitches.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#50 Post by Doc Ibold »

Styles Bitchley wrote: The next point is actually a flub unless someone has a better explanation. Higgins invites Vivian for dinner, but she thinks its Magnum. She comes over and shows up knocking on the guest house door...but who let her into the estate? Someone would have had to open the gate for her whether she arrived by taxi or car. Higgins had no idea she was there and Magnum didn't either. Did she hop the fence?.
Kenji, my friend! He is everywhere... Yet, he is nowhere. :wink:

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by 308GTS »

Always enjoy this episode, and must have seen it at least 10 times now. Jane Merrow was certainly a looker!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Hawaii84
Captain

#52 Post by Hawaii84 »

Great episode. Reminds me of "Black on White."

EZiller
Captain

#53 Post by EZiller »

Somewhat similar to season 2's "Tropical Madness" once again we have TM and Higgins in a love triangle with another lovely and demure Brit. Given that TM & Hig are about 25 years apart in age this would seem unlikely. Vivian's age would probably be about halfway. It's always entertaining to see this side of Higgins, being smitten by a woman. Another brilliant job by Hillerman...I'm sure most of us have had a similar situation of being absolutely infatuated with someone only to realize they share that infatuation with your friend and not you.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#54 Post by marlboro »

To me, the relationship between Higgins and Magnum is what makes this show great. This episode really showcases their friendship, so I really enjoyed it.

What about that fight scene? I actually laughed out loud thane they guy "came off the top rope."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#55 Post by J.J. Walters »

marlboro wrote:What about that fight scene? I actually laughed out loud thane they guy "came off the top rope."
The dock fight scene is iconic! That is why I put a clip of it up on the Video page. The guy jumping off the top deck and crashing onto a table (while growling like Frankenstein) always cracks me up! Like you said, it's like he's "coming off the top rope" in a pro wrestling match or something! :)

http://magnum-mania.com/Video/Dock_Fight.html
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sir Fearing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#56 Post by Sir Fearing »

Styles Bitchley wrote:The next point is actually a flub unless someone has a better explanation. Higgins invites Vivian for dinner, but she thinks its Magnum. She comes over and shows up knocking on the guest house door...but who let her into the estate? Someone would have had to open the gate for her whether she arrived by taxi or car. Higgins had no idea she was there and Magnum didn't either. Did she hop the fence?
Higgins gives Vivian a key after she helped him with the books the first time:
Higgins: "Here's a key so you can enter the estate without calling. Since you'll be working here, it will be more convenient."
wilko wrote:Here's a flub.
Magnum returns to the estate to learn that Higgins has received a call from the kidnappers. Higgins is in the study, sitting with a snifter of brandy in his hand and the bottle on the table. Magnum sits opposite Higgins Higgins tells him about seeing Vivian in the Strand after the war. Suddenly in the midst of the conversation Magnum is also holding a snifter of brandy but he did not pour one for himself before sitting down, get up to get one nor did Higgins offer him one. Nor was there an empty glass on the table.
In the German language version you can hear someone walking and pour a glas of something. Nonetheless there is not enough time for Magnum to sit down again.
Half a world removed from England

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#57 Post by marlboro »

Weird. I rewatched the scene (American version) and there are definitely no walking sounds. Just the sound of a clock ticking in the background. A decanter on the table appears from somewhere between the beginning and ending of Higgins' story.

I wonder how many differences there are between the American and German releases.

Sir Fearing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#58 Post by Sir Fearing »

marlboro wrote:Weird. I rewatched the scene (American version) and there are definitely no walking sounds. Just the sound of a clock ticking in the background. A decanter on the table appears from somewhere between the beginning and ending of Higgins' story.

I wonder how many differences there are between the American and German releases.
Maybe I mistook the ticking of the clock with steps but there is more movement in the background and the clinking of glas. I uploaded the relevant seconds of the English and the German version on youtube:

English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTXk4tKYLuo
German: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOk9XtS0K2U

All along you can see Higgins looking and talking to a sitting Magnum (or an empty chair).
Half a world removed from England

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#59 Post by marlboro »

Yeah, I definitely heard pouring sounds. Looks like the German dubbers caught the goof and tried to fix it. Neat.

Turkey
Admiral

#60 Post by Turkey »

Great episode, loved the moment Higgins realised what Magnum is doing toward the end at the beach - then, even better, when Magnum starts to tell a 'Higgins Story' at the end of the episode :D
Make it two weeks.