No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 109

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Letter to a Duchess (4.6)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Letter to a Duchess (4.6). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 11/10/1983
While Magnum prepares for an annual surf-ski race, Higgins has his hands full hiding the beautiful Lady Wilkerson from two shady pursuers. Smitten by the maiden in distress, Higgins sends her a letter expressing his feelings, but she mistakenly thinks the amorous words are from Magnum. It quickly becomes a case of romance on the run when the duchess is kidnapped and the two "Romeos" must spring into action to save her.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is one of my favorite episodes from Season Four. Jane Merrow is a perfect casting choice for Vivian. I Love, LOVE the dock fight at the end! It may be the best brawl of the entire series.

I got a question for you guys. I may have missed it, but in the flashback scene where we see Higgins met Vivian for the first time, where is it set? Higgins is in military attire and appears to be involved in some kind of military activity.

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:I got a question for you guys. I may have missed it, but in the flashback scene where we see Higgins met Vivian for the first time, where is it set? Higgins is in military attire and appears to be involved in some kind of military activity.

You can hear explosions in the background, so some sort of military action is taking place. I don't think the particular location or conflict is mentioned. However, it appears that Higgins' shoulder patch (Tactical Recognition Flash) is that of a British/Gurkha unit. His shoulder patch has two crossed Kurkis (curved knife used as a weapon and tool, a/k/a Gurkha Knife), which is a prominent feature of British/Gurkha military insignia. I am not certain of the specific Gurkha unit, but I believe the conflict is post WWII for two reasons. First, Higgins introduced himself as a Sergeant Major, and we are led to believe that Higgins was very young during WWII. I don’t believe Higgins ever revealed precisely when he became a Sergeant Major, but I’m almost certain it wasn’t during WWII. Remember, in “Luther Gillis: File #001” (season 5), Higgins said that in the Spring of 1954 he was the youngest in a squad of six spending three months watching the Andrews‘ Farm. Second, Vivian Brock Jones appears to be younger than Higgins, so she probably would have been a child during WWII.

There are many Gurkha units serving with the British Army. They have served since well before WWI and continue to serve today. During WWII, Gurkha units fought in North Africa, Syria, Greece, Italy, Burma and Singapore. Following India’s Independence in 1947, six Gurkha units were attached to the Indian Army and four were attached to the British Army. The four units attached to the British Army include, 2nd King Edward VII’s own Gurkha Rifles; 6th Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles; 7th Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Gurkha Rifles; and the 10th Princess Mary’s own Gurkha Rifles.

The 2nd King Edward VII’s own Gurkha Rifles post WWII history includes action during the Malayan Emergency from 1948 through 1960. Following their tour in Malaya, they served in Malaya, Borneo, Brunei and Hong Kong.

The 6th Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles post WWII history includes service in the Far East until the British withdrawal from East of Suez. In 1969, the 6th Gurkhas served in Hong Kong, Brunei and Church Crookham.

The 7th Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Gurkha Rifles post WWII history includes service in Malaya, Borneo and Hong Kong through 1970.

The 10th Princess Mary’s own Gurkha Rifles post WWII history also includes service during the Malayan Emergency from 1948 through 1960. From 1962 through 1966, the 10th Princess Mary’s own Gurkha Rifles saw action in the Indonesian Confrontation.

Higgins’ history tells us that he served in Burma in 1945. It is possible Higgins served with the 4th Battalion of the 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles during WWII. This unit fought in Burma during WWII. It was the lead element of the Indian 7th Infantry Division. Based on Higgins’ history, he very likely could have served with this unit. However, their insignia is a little bit different than the shoulder insignia on Higgins’ uniform in the episode. The Kurkis of the 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles are facing inward, not outward like the patch on his uniform. Therefore, the scene we see in “A Letter To A Duchess” is probably not from 1945 Burma because the unit patch is different, but more importantly, because Vivian would have been to young in 1945. Additionally, if she was ever in Burma, she most likely would not have still been there 1945. The war was raging and most of the British and Indian troops were very isolated. It would have been far to dangerous for Vivian to be anywhere near Higgins at that time. Therefore, it is more likely that the scene we see in the episode was supposed to take place much later, probably in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Of course, this is all conjecture, but based on “Higgins’ History,” Higgins‘ shoulder insignia, Vivian’s age and the limited information we have about Vivian‘s history, I would say that Higgins would have been attached to the 6th Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles in the Far East, perhaps Malaya in 1960, until the end of the Malayan Emergency in July 1960, or during the Indonesian Confrontation from 1962 through 1966. This part of his history is not accounted for, and Vivian would have been in her early to mid 20s. The primary reason I would say Higgins was attached to the 6th Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles is the shoulder insignia on Higgins' uniform most closely resembles the 6th Gurkha's Tactical Recognition Flash compared to the three other Gurkha units attached to the British Army after WWII.

I would like to know why the costume designer for the show chose that particular shoulder patch for Higgins. I suppose it's always possible that the selection of that particular shoulder insignia is a flub, and that scene was supposed to take place in 1945 while Higgins was in Burma. However, if this is the case, then this would qualify as a flub for many reasons, many of which have already been mentioned.

Aside from all of the technical stuff involving Higgins' shoulder insignia, this is also one of my favorite episodes from season 4. Higgins doing his commando stuff in an effort to save Vivian in the alley is great. The fight scene on the boat at the end is great too. There is a big guy who jumps from the upper deck onto the lower deck, but basically does a bellyflop onto a table and smashes it to bits. That looked like that hurt no matter how much training you've had, but it was hilarious. As the guy jumps he growls and roars and looks like he is doing his best impression of Superman, but without the ability to fly. He crashes down like a stone smashing the table. Although hilarious, I never realized what the point of that was. No one was really in danger except the poor sap who landed like a stone. Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode as it features Higgins prominently. A "Higgins-centric" episode as Doc would say.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

IslandHopper wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:I got a question for you guys. I may have missed it, but in the flashback scene where we see Higgins met Vivian for the first time, where is it set? Higgins is in military attire and appears to be involved in some kind of military activity.

You can hear explosions in the background, so some sort of military action is taking place. I don't think the particular location or conflict is mentioned. However, it appears that Higgins' shoulder patch (Tactical Recognition Flash) is that of a British/Gurkha unit. His shoulder patch has two crossed Kurkis (curved knife used as a weapon and tool, a/k/a Gurkha Knife), which is a prominent feature of British/Gurkha military insignia. I am not certain of the specific Gurkha unit, but I believe the conflict is post WWII for two reasons. First, Higgins introduced himself as a Sergeant Major, and we are led to believe that Higgins was very young during WWII. I don’t believe Higgins ever revealed precisely when he became a Sergeant Major, but I’m almost certain it wasn’t during WWII. Remember, in “Luther Gillis: File #001” (season 5), Higgins said that in the Spring of 1954 he was the youngest in a squad of six spending three months watching the Andrews‘ Farm. Second, Vivian Brock Jones appears to be younger than Higgins, so she probably would have been a child during WWII.

There are many Gurkha units serving with the British Army. They have served since well before WWI and continue to serve today. During WWII, Gurkha units fought in North Africa, Syria, Greece, Italy, Burma and Singapore. Following India’s Independence in 1947, six Gurkha units were attached to the Indian Army and four were attached to the British Army. The four units attached to the British Army include, 2nd King Edward VII’s own Gurkha Rifles; 6th Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles; 7th Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Gurkha Rifles; and the 10th Princess Mary’s own Gurkha Rifles.

The 2nd King Edward VII’s own Gurkha Rifles post WWII history includes action during the Malayan Emergency from 1948 through 1960. Following their tour in Malaya, they served in Malaya, Borneo, Brunei and Hong Kong.

The 6th Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles post WWII history includes service in the Far East until the British withdrawal from East of Suez. In 1969, the 6th Gurkhas served in Hong Kong, Brunei and Church Crookham.

The 7th Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Gurkha Rifles post WWII history includes service in Malaya, Borneo and Hong Kong through 1970.

The 10th Princess Mary’s own Gurkha Rifles post WWII history also includes service during the Malayan Emergency from 1948 through 1960. From 1962 through 1966, the 10th Princess Mary’s own Gurkha Rifles saw action in the Indonesian Confrontation.

Higgins’ history tells us that he served in Burma in 1945. It is possible Higgins served with the 4th Battalion of the 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles during WWII. This unit fought in Burma during WWII. It was the lead element of the Indian 7th Infantry Division. Based on Higgins’ history, he very likely could have served with this unit. However, their insignia is a little bit different than the shoulder insignia on Higgins’ uniform in the episode. The Kurkis of the 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles are facing inward, not outward like the patch on his uniform. Therefore, the scene we see in “A Letter To A Duchess” is probably not from 1945 Burma because the unit patch is different, but more importantly, because Vivian would have been to young in 1945. Additionally, if she was ever in Burma, she most likely would not have still been there 1945. The war was raging and most of the British and Indian troops were very isolated. It would have been far to dangerous for Vivian to be anywhere near Higgins at that time. Therefore, it is more likely that the scene we see in the episode was supposed to take place much later, probably in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Of course, this is all conjecture, but based on “Higgins’ History,” Higgins‘ shoulder insignia, Vivian’s age and the limited information we have about Vivian‘s history, I would say that Higgins would have been attached to the 6th Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles in the Far East, perhaps Malaya in 1960, until the end of the Malayan Emergency in July 1960, or during the Indonesian Confrontation from 1962 through 1966. This part of his history is not accounted for, and Vivian would have been in her early to mid 20s. The primary reason I would say Higgins was attached to the 6th Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles is the shoulder insignia on Higgins' uniform most closely resembles the 6th Gurkha's Tactical Recognition Flash compared to the three other Gurkha units attached to the British Army after WWII.

I would like to know why the costume designer for the show chose that particular shoulder patch for Higgins. I suppose it's always possible that the selection of that particular shoulder insignia is a flub, and that scene was supposed to take place in 1945 while Higgins was in Burma. However, if this is the case, then this would qualify as a flub for many reasons, many of which have already been mentioned.

Aside from all of the technical stuff involving Higgins' shoulder insignia, this is also one of my favorite episodes from season 4. Higgins doing his commando stuff in an effort to save Vivian in the alley is great. The fight scene on the boat at the end is great too. There is a big guy who jumps from the upper deck onto the lower deck, but basically does a bellyflop onto a table and smashes it to bits. That looked like that hurt no matter how much training you've had, but it was hilarious. As the guy jumps he growls and roars and looks like he is doing his best impression of Superman, but without the ability to fly. He crashes down like a stone smashing the table. Although hilarious, I never realized what the point of that was. No one was really in danger except the poor sap who landed like a stone. Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode as it features Higgins prominently. A "Higgins-centric" episode as Doc would say.
IH, your knowledge never ceases to amaze me!

:D

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

Thanks Doc. :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow IH, what a post! Very, very interesting!

Based on your observations, I would say this has to be the 6th Queen Elizabeth’s Own Gurkha Rifles in the Far East, early 60s (Malaya 1960 would be the "ideal" pick). It can't be WWII, Vivian is too young. I guess the other big question here is, why is a Duchess driving around in a car in the middle of a battle zone, with bombs falling?
IslandHopper wrote:As the guy jumps he growls and roars and looks like he is doing his best impression of Superman, but without the ability to fly. He crashes down like a stone smashing the table. Although hilarious, I never realized what the point of that was. No one was really in danger except the poor sap who landed like a stone.
LOL! This always cracked me up, too! "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr", belly flop onto table! I actually have a Flash video clip of this brawl in the 'Video' section - Dock Fight!.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MPS »

Doc Ibold wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:

IH, your knowledge never ceases to amaze me!

:D
Wow! I was looking for the answer to James' original question and read the fabulous analysis by IslandHopper. :D

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#8 Post by IslandHopper »

Thanks for the kind words MPS. Much apprecaited. :)

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#9 Post by Italian Ice »

I like how the 4th season focuses more attention to the development of other characters as well, this episode especially.

I enjoy the music in the beginning. The transition from the scene in the English midlands to the surf ski crowd in Hawaii is a nice tune to whistle to.

Can't forget the fight scene at the end. Its' a tossup between this and the Lemon Brawl! Only thing is that I wouldn't dive into a bath of rolling barrels, lol.

To bad they didn't resolve the letter issue. Higgins should have professed his love to Vivian and explained the mistake, but Higgens has his honor. It's a shame that she wasn't a reccuring character.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#10 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I love when Higgins walks i non Vivian and Magnum drinking beer and watching baseball. I know Higgins was heartbroken at the moment, but it was very hilarious. I guess because of Magnum having no idea of what was going on.

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#11 Post by Operation Chessboard »

This is one of my favorite fourth season episodes as well. Robert Hamilton was one of Magnum, P.I.'s best staff writers. Hillerman, once again, delivers a first rate performance.

brunoffrance
Captain

#12 Post by brunoffrance »

8 at table as each sundays ritual now and my brother ' anniversary and occasionaly wear the "jungle bird" shirt that I've offered him last year...
The note is 9 for this hillarous episode well made with this incredible love mistake...
My wife was desapointed that the lady chose TM instead of Higgins... why always the beautiful thomas compared to Higgins... it's her point of view !
Sure higgins was a bit ridiculous when fighting at the beginning of the episode but was glorious at the end on the docks...
Clever TM and fair play to let Vivian to Higgins... the class !

Bruno
Very american 4 a french...

Zudobug
Lieutenant Commander

#13 Post by Zudobug »

The flashback also Higgins without a mustache for the only time in the series. This poses a question. Was John Hillerman's mustache real and he shaved it off for that scene or did he always wear a fake mustache?

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Thursday’s review; this is a seriously good episode, one that I can watch over and over again.

[rating=10]

In a chance meeting, Higgins meets an English Duchess whom he had two brief encounters with years before. But due to a mix up with notes, the woman believes it is Magnum carrying a torch for her instead of Higgins. A wonderful character piece…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

‘Letter to a Duchess’ is a wonderfully written and performed episode of ‘Magnum, p.i.’, and sums up the overall high quality of the third and fourth season.

Magnum is preparing for the annual surf ski race, something that is woven throughout the series – along with the fact that Magnum was beaten the previous year by a twelve year old girl!

The episode contains top-notch performances from Tom Selleck and John Hillerman, as well as a perfect guest spot by Jane Merrow as Vivian.
By this point, the series was well established enough to have almost whole episodes devoted to character interaction over the adventure of earlier stories. In particular, it is the interaction of Magnum and Higgins that can carry it off.

The mix up over love notes is simple but very well played out; I love the scene of Vivian visiting Magnum in the guest house, mistakenly believing him to be the author. Magnum is bemused by her visit, but welcomes her in, in a very warm and humorous scene.

I also like Higgins’ flashback to his two brief encounters with Vivian in England years before. They add real depth to the story, and add more background to Higgins’ rich past.

Of course, there have to be some villains, and this time it is a couple of brutes after Vivian’s supposedly very valuable jewellery. The fight on the docks at the climax is great, and adds some action to the story.

The closing scenes, as Magnum goes out of his way to put Vivian off of him, are quite touching, especially Higgins subtle smile as he realises what Magnum is doing for him.

All-in-all, this is a very pleasing episode. I like it so much that I give it a rare 10 out of 10.

-----

Other bloopers, notes and misc.:

* The DVD version of this episode has all of the commercial breaks abridged.

Zudobug wrote:The flashback also Higgins without a mustache for the only time in the series. This poses a question. Was John Hillerman's mustache real and he shaved it off for that scene or did he always wear a fake mustache?

I may be wrong, but I think that Hillerman’s moustache was covered up with makeup. If you study his top lip in these shots, it does look a little “puffy” where his moustache would be underneath.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Zudobug
Lieutenant Commander

#15 Post by Zudobug »

I never noticed that when I first watched the episode but on closer inspection it does seem that a bit of help from the make-up department was used.