6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 113

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Sisophous »

I am surprised no post here about the Goofball kid that was hilarious. I think he was a relative of the guy trying to hustle Robin's Estate in the Softball game and ended up ratting his Boss out at the very end. Who is he and anyone else besides me find him the highlight of this episode?

As other mention, this is a comical episode with no real villains but for a change of pace it is fun to view.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#82 Post by J.J. Walters »

Eddie Deezen: Greese, Wargames, 1941, and a bunch of voice acting roles in cartoons. Incredibly, he was not cast in Revenge of the Nerds for some reason.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:Eddie Deezen: Greese, Wargames, 1941, and a bunch of voice acting roles in cartoons. Incredibly, he was not cast in Revenge of the Nerds for some reason.
That's him, thanks. He reminds me of Pee Wee Herman but with a lower IQ.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Stelth »

Did anyone notice the parking meter that seemed to be attached to the light pole on the softball field? At one point in the ep. Magnum was leaning near it and it seemed very out-of-place. A parking meter on a softball field?

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Those are pay for light meters here. You pop in coinage and you get illumination at nite for your game or practice. No. It doesnt seem out of place. To us. We are accustomed to it. where are your private investigator skills. is the show set in florida. No it is shot on location in... wait for it... Another country. here is a clue, stelth. Light pole. Meter. K den. Got it. Be happy this show, pressed through a very haole / mainland filter, wasnt accurate in its depiction of island life very much at all. You would be posting similar on a daily basis.
Last edited by Braddah Kimo on Sun May 05, 2013 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Eddie deezen also has been oft–equated to an ersatz jerry lewis.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#87 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Braddah Kimo wrote:Those are pay for light meters here. You pop in coinage and you get illumination at nite for your game or practice.
Awesome info Kimo. Very interesting. Your post should have ended there though. Got to make the new fellas feel welcome. :wink:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#88 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Braddah Kimo wrote:Those are pay for light meters here. You pop in coinage and you get illumination at nite for your game or practice.
Awesome info Kimo. Very interesting. Your post should have ended there though. Got to make the new fellas feel welcome. :wink:
Well said.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by Braddah Kimo »

E kala mai. Sorry about that. Should have looked closely, didnt notice on mobile it was new person.apologies.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by Stelth »

Braddah Kimo wrote:Those are pay for light meters here. You pop in coinage and you get illumination at nite for your game or practice. No. It doesnt seem out of place. To us. We are accustomed to it. where are your private investigator skills. is the show set in florida. No it is shot on location in... wait for it... Another country. here is a clue, stelth. Light pole. Meter. K den. Got it. Be happy this show, pressed through a very haole / mainland filter, wasnt accurate in its depiction of island life very much at all. You would be posting similar on a daily basis.
Thanks for the info minus the nasty rant. I've never heard of a "pay for light" meter before.
Last edited by Stelth on Tue May 07, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#91 Post by Doc Ibold »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:
Well said.
Agreed.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Doc Ibold wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:
Well said.
Agreed.
Damn straight.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re: Squeeze Play (4.7)

#93 Post by charybdis1966 »

I watched this episode the other night and while not one of the best, mainly because of it centering baseball(a sport I don't follow not being american) the amusing character points were still there and the some amusing scenes.

One aspect of the story I thought could have been developed was from the Higgins's line, when hearing that the game the wager would be on was baseball, "It's not even cricket".

As a club cricketer in the 90's a few things did occur to me as odd, that the team of ringers contained a few women as I always assumed the best pitchers/bowlers would be those who could pitch/bowl the fastest, which would be the guys.

But then when the women were bowling they seemed to be flighting their deliveries so they dropped out of the sky, rather like a spin bowler who used flight and guile to deceive the batsman.

While I'm going off at a tangent baseball seems to centre it's batting style on the pull shot where full tosses are hit in the air to gain height and leverage, whereas in cricket the tendency is for batsmen to hit the ball along the ground to avoid being caught and dismissed. However that is easier when most deliveries will bounce before they get to you.

Anyway I've wittered on enough about cricket, but if anyone wants more I'm happy to respond to questions ha ha.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#94 Post by Doc Ibold »

charybdis1966 wrote:I watched this episode the other night and while not one of the best, mainly because of it centering baseball(a sport I don't follow not being american) the amusing character points were still there and the some amusing scenes.

One aspect of the story I thought could have been developed was from the Higgins's line, when hearing that the game the wager would be on was baseball, "It's not even cricket".

As a club cricketer in the 90's a few things did occur to me as odd, that the team of ringers contained a few women as I always assumed the best pitchers/bowlers would be those who could pitch/bowl the fastest, which would be the guys.

But then when the women were bowling they seemed to be flighting their deliveries so they dropped out of the sky, rather like a spin bowler who used flight and guile to deceive the batsman.

While I'm going off at a tangent baseball seems to centre it's batting style on the pull shot where full tosses are hit in the air to gain height and leverage, whereas in cricket the tendency is for batsmen to hit the ball along the ground to avoid being caught and dismissed. However that is easier when most deliveries will bounce before they get to you.

Anyway I've wittered on enough about cricket, but if anyone wants more I'm happy to respond to questions ha ha.
I think the pitcher from the Blasters was used as eye candy to distract Rick.

:wink:

Excellent insight onto cricket, though!

I will have to admit, I think I learned more about cricket in this post than at any other time in my life! One thing of note was that it was a softball game, so in the the co-Ed leagues here in the States, you have to have an equal number of men and women, or at least a set amount of women.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#95 Post by Pahonu »

It was also slow-pitch softball, another variation of the game, which requires the release of the pitch in an upward arc, and a potential strike is one that lands on home plate. This is dramatically different than fast-pitch and baseball proper. This is because it is considered more of a social game like over the line and other variations where a beer in the dugout or on the sidelines is not uncommon. I remember playing over the line with my college buddies with a small cooler of beer as our batting spot. Lots of fun!