6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 113

Doc Fred
Admiral

#71 Post by Doc Fred »

IslandHopper wrote:I thought the same thing when I saw the team play. Especially Lola playing 2nd base. Killer says "she plays a mean 2nd base." She is terrible. I don't know who is worse. Lola playing softball or Carrie Reardon playing tennis in "Mixed Doubles."

There is no shame with not being very good at softball or tennis, but when the script calls for that particular character to be excellent at what he or she is supposed to be doing then at least cast somebody who can perform those particular tasks, i.e., play softball, tennis, etc. In Lola's defense, Rick was probably worse than Lola, but Rick was supposed to be bad. He was the guy everyone made fun of.
I had some high school JV softball players who were better than many of the people on that field.... And Rick, oh my gosh is a horrible runner....

Doc Fred
Admiral

#72 Post by Doc Fred »

lutherhgillis wrote:One more thing about sports on TV before you guys kick me off the board. TS was very believable in the softball, basketball, tennis, and volleyball scenes. Not so much in the golf scene during "Forty Years From Sand Island". He is obviously very athletic.
Right you are about TS's athletic ability...... I'd not be surprised if he didn't have professional ambitions.. perhaps with baseball. He looked awfully good in his action sequences.

And you're also right about his ability with golf.... He is just an every-day hacker. But, I know that golf is the most difficult of all sports. I had chances to be a pro in four different sports, including baseball where I had offers from the Phillies, Mets and strangely enough, from the Tigers. I have batted against major league pitchers and will tell everyone that hitting that little white golf ball with success is the most difficult thing I've ever tried in sport... and I was able to play in the US Senior Amateur..

Doc Fred
Admiral

#73 Post by Doc Fred »

MaiTaiMan... you wrote "Oh I totally agree that "women" were more acceptable back then on TV...and most were more acceptable to me than the teenage, alcoholic, drug addict, ho-bags that are a lot of what you see in the media today. I like the original version, so-to-speak, as I find a lot of the so-called celebrities of today worthless (ex: Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Richie, Britany Spears, etc...)! "

You are dead-on balls accurate with that.... can't stand a one of the ones you named at the end of your post.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#74 Post by Pahonu »

Just watched this one again and I have a funny (bad) story about this episode which otherwise I really like. When I was in high school back in the 80's we had co-ed PE and once when we were playing softball I was pitching to my own team like we used to do, and a freshman girl nailed it right into my privates. I hit the ground, not unlike Rick, and I swear the girl ran up to me and thought she had hit me in the stomach. I don't remember exactly what she said then, but several of my buddies who were there teased the hell out of me for the next few days. She was this tiny little girl and she apologized so many times to me later. Eerily similar circumstances! :shock:

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#75 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Selleck played backetball at USC. I've also heard one time Mickey Mantle said he could've been a baseball player had he focused his energy on the sport.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#76 Post by Seaver41 »

good episode........and as big a sports fan that I am.....especially baseball (as if the screen name didn't give it away).......I really hate most shows/movies that try to in corporate it. It usually has poor editing and too many actors couldn't tell the difference between a softball and a volleyball. Those horrible failures do make the successfull ones that much more enjoyable...such as Bull Durham.

Selleck is obviously an excellent athlete and his love of baseball has been no secret for decades. His Jesse Stone character was a minor leaguer if my memory serves correct.

Buzz.......combo of Bob Guccione (Penthouse) and Larry Flynt (Hustler). Not an ounce of Hugh Hefner in the character. The actor, Dick Shawn.....I could swear I've heard his voice many times in either cartoons or something animated.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by Seaver41 »

another hole poked in the Higgins is Robin theory with the ending of the episode.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Seaver41 »

thought just hit me......Dick Shawn sounds like the Snow Miser..........I'll have to look that up.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#79 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Seaver41 wrote:Buzz.......combo of Bob Guccione (Penthouse) and Larry Flynt (Hustler). Not an ounce of Hugh Hefner in the character.
Why do you say that? I'm asking because I know next to nothing about those characters...

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Seaver41 »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
Seaver41 wrote:Buzz.......combo of Bob Guccione (Penthouse) and Larry Flynt (Hustler). Not an ounce of Hugh Hefner in the character.
Why do you say that? I'm asking because I know next to nothing about those characters...
both are the epitome of sleaze.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Sisophous »

I am surprised no post here about the Goofball kid that was hilarious. I think he was a relative of the guy trying to hustle Robin's Estate in the Softball game and ended up ratting his Boss out at the very end. Who is he and anyone else besides me find him the highlight of this episode?

As other mention, this is a comical episode with no real villains but for a change of pace it is fun to view.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#82 Post by J.J. Walters »

Eddie Deezen: Greese, Wargames, 1941, and a bunch of voice acting roles in cartoons. Incredibly, he was not cast in Revenge of the Nerds for some reason.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:Eddie Deezen: Greese, Wargames, 1941, and a bunch of voice acting roles in cartoons. Incredibly, he was not cast in Revenge of the Nerds for some reason.
That's him, thanks. He reminds me of Pee Wee Herman but with a lower IQ.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Stelth »

Did anyone notice the parking meter that seemed to be attached to the light pole on the softball field? At one point in the ep. Magnum was leaning near it and it seemed very out-of-place. A parking meter on a softball field?

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Those are pay for light meters here. You pop in coinage and you get illumination at nite for your game or practice. No. It doesnt seem out of place. To us. We are accustomed to it. where are your private investigator skills. is the show set in florida. No it is shot on location in... wait for it... Another country. here is a clue, stelth. Light pole. Meter. K den. Got it. Be happy this show, pressed through a very haole / mainland filter, wasnt accurate in its depiction of island life very much at all. You would be posting similar on a daily basis.
Last edited by Braddah Kimo on Sun May 05, 2013 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.