Total votes: 113

eeyore
Admiral

#21 Post by eeyore »

Hey, now!! :D

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by lutherhgillis »

IH wrote: "We also see Magnum bat left-handed, which is a little unusual as he is right-handed. "

It's not that unusual in baseball. I played for years and encountered many people who fielded from one strong side and batted from the other. You also see the phenominon of switch hitters where people hit equally well from both sides while fielding from one side only.

Just trying to help...

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by lutherhgillis »

Here's a flub I don't think anyone mentioned. Near the beginning when Higgins is in Magnums pad, Magnum is oiling his glove. Magnum tell Higgins a story about going to the ballpark with his dad and unlce Lyle when he was 10. Magnum's dad died in Korea when Mag was 5 or 6 (Home from the Sea).

BTW, Magnum said his glove is an Al Kaline. If so, it could not have been an Al Kaline glove from Magnum's youth. The design of the glove Magnum is holding is a late 70s or early 80s vintage. If any of you played ball then you will also remember the look of the glove. The Al Kaline gloves I remember from the 60s and 70s were much more basic in design and I think they were Wilson brand not Rawlings.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#24 Post by Doc Ibold »

lutherhgillis wrote:Here's a flub I don't think anyone mentioned. Near the beginning when Higgins is in Magnums pad, Magnum is oiling his glove. Magnum tell Higgins a story about going to the ballpark with his dad and unlce Lyle when he was 10. Magnum's dad died in Korea when Mag was 5 or 6 (Home from the Sea).

BTW, Magnum said his glove is an Al Kaline. If so, it could not have been an Al Kaline glove from Magnum's youth. The design of the glove Magnum is holding is a late 70s or early 80s vintage. If any of you played ball then you will also remember the look of the glove. The Al Kaline gloves I remember from the 60s and 70s were much more basic in design and I think they were Wilson brand not Rawlings.
Thats a pretty good spot, lhg....

I'll leave it up to the Flubmaster(r) himself, IH

I've noticed that Magnum sees to quote a lot of things did or said that are quite out of place with him dying when Magnum was 5 or 6. Some of the things that Magnum says his dad told him seem pretty deep to be telling a 5 or 6 year old! Baseball games when he was 10 or 11, etc etc....

I've often wondered how many relatives Magnum has got and what the family tree would look like.

I know James is pretty faithful about documenting relatives in the ep guides....... MAYBE I'll have to go and take a look and compile them all (ala "Magnum Kills").

Gonna be a rainy day here in the "D" anyway......

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by lutherhgillis »

Doc,

I just busted my own 'flub' spot! I watched it again and Magnum actually says, "...my Dad's uncle Lyle" instead of "my Dad and unlce Lyle" . So it was uncle Lyle that took him to the game. The same uncle Lyle that created the castle blitz move in chess, I presume.

What do you guys think about the glove. It looks like a Rawlings to me. It has the red patch on the outside back. I verified that the Al Kaline glove was a Wilson circa 1957-60. Al never endorsed a Rawlings glove.

Luther

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#26 Post by IslandHopper »

lutherhgillis wrote:Doc,

I just busted my own 'flub' spot! I watched it again and Magnum actually says, "...my Dad's uncle Lyle" instead of "my Dad and unlce Lyle" . So it was uncle Lyle that took him to the game. The same uncle Lyle that created the castle blitz move in chess, I presume.

What do you guys think about the glove. It looks like a Rawlings to me. It has the red patch on the outside back. I verified that the Al Kaline glove was a Wilson circa 1957-60. Al never endorsed a Rawlings glove.

Luther
I'll have to watch for the glove this weekend. You're probably right. Wilson did make an Al Kaline glove. I haven't seen one made by Rawlings. Sonnett may have made an Al Kaline glove too. I thought I saw one online.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by lutherhgillis »

I know this goes way too deep into continuity but the softball 'skills' displayed by the people on the field are laughable to say the least. I know this is not the point of the episode but anyone who has ever played softball competitively notices the people on both teams are not real players. Magnum, TC, Killer, and a couple of the Blasters are believable and the others are not.

Robin tells Buzz that his KKC Paddlers are league champions for 3 straight years. I could not stop laughing when I saw the team. That would be an extremely weak league if those guys were champs! :shock:

Again, I know that softball skill is not the point of the epi. I just find it funny... :roll:

BTW, Selleck bats left handed in real life. I saw him take batting practice with the Tigers in 89 or 90. He hit one over the rightfield fence! Cool!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#28 Post by IslandHopper »

I thought the same thing when I saw the team play. Especially Lola playing 2nd base. Killer says "she plays a mean 2nd base." She is terrible. I don't know who is worse. Lola playing softball or Carrie Reardon playing tennis in "Mixed Doubles."

There is no shame with not being very good at softball or tennis, but when the script calls for that particular character to be excellent at what he or she is supposed to be doing then at least cast somebody who can perform those particular tasks, i.e., play softball, tennis, etc. In Lola's defense, Rick was probably worse than Lola, but Rick was supposed to be bad. He was the guy everyone made fun of.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

eeyore
Admiral

#29 Post by eeyore »

I noticed TS was batting left handed! Wasn't sure if the film was reversed or they did it on a whim or what. So he really bats left handed!
I work in the sports industry and the New York Yankees hold Spring Training across the street from us. Too bad it's not Detroit, my chances of ever seeing Selleck might be better in that case. :) Ahh, he'd probably be holed up in a suite anyway.
I do have an autographed ball, though, a gift from a friend who bought it on Ebay.
I went to a baseball game a few weeks ago and had the pleasure of sitting in the 4th row in line behind third base and home plate. The batters warmed up right in front of us. It was cool and I got some great pictures. I should have asked the batboy for a ball too, he was handing them out to the kids who were brave enough to walk down and ask! :)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#30 Post by SelleckLover »

luthergillis wrote:
To someone that doesn't participate in any sports, doesn't like any sports, doesn't "get it" about sports (and probably never will!) all sports equipment looks the same to me. And so do people playing sports...I wouldn't know a supposedly "good" sports player from another. I have watched sports on occasion and I guess I am lacking the "sports gene" that everyone else has, because it wasn't thrilling to me. When my son played basketball in high school, I was at every game cheering him on in the stands (Yes, I was the one with the cow bell!) and never missed a game. If I have some sort of personal interest in a player, then it becomes worthwhile. I have a hard time getting excited about a bunch of people I don't know (or only know about them what the media lets me know) playing a game I don't understand!

Thanks for letting me rant about sports! :D :D

eeyore
Admiral

#31 Post by eeyore »

Since I grew up a Hoosier, I do know a little about basketball, but I've never been a huge sports fan either. (but I have an excuse I'm a girl)
But now that my job revolves around sports, I owe it to my employer to educate myself and develop a basic interest and the sport in question is football, which to my unexperienced brain seems to be more complex than baseball or basketball. :(
I work at an NFL stadium and I have to attend every home game (thankfully I get paid) We are also home to the local university football team, so I have to go to those games as well.
I NEED to learn football.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by lutherhgillis »

SL,

Thank you. That'll be $250 please for the psycho analysis. How does that make you feel? :lol: :wink:

It really is cool for those of us who get it and love sports (to a sane degree, at least (no cowbells needed)) to see TV shows depict sports. They rarely do justice to the sports because most folks probably don't care and would never spend time talking about baseball gloves not being the correct brand. That kind of enjoyment of detail makes folks like IH and me 'special', shall we say (or different, anyway).

Thanks for sharing. I hope you didn't mind the joke about the analysis.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by lutherhgillis »

One more thing about sports on TV before you guys kick me off the board. TS was very believable in the softball, basketball, tennis, and volleyball scenes. Not so much in the golf scene during "Forty Years From Sand Island". He is obviously very athletic.
Last edited by lutherhgillis on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#34 Post by Doc Ibold »

lutherhgillis wrote:One more thing about sports on TV before you guys kick me off the board. TS was very believable in the softball, basketball, tennis, and volleyball scenes. Not so much in the golf scene during "Eighth Part of the Village". He is obviously very athletic.
LHG....

You sure it was "Eighth Part of the Village"? I think you're talking "Forty Years From Sand Island"

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#35 Post by SelleckLover »

Luthergillis wrote:
Thank you. That'll be $250 please for the psycho analysis. How does that make you feel? Laughing
Makes me feel good! Uh, can I make that in payments? :D