6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 81

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#11 Post by rubber chicken »

I just have to chime in to give respect to Donald Gibb. It's always a pleasure to see him.

Seeing Donald's current photo made me wonder, who would win in a fight - Donald Gibb or Paul Teutul Sr. from American Chopper? :wink: I'm thinking Donald Gibb, he did pretty well in Bloodsport's Kumite. That is of course until he went up against Bolo Yeung but I won't hold that against him. Plus Paul Teutul Sr. is 6' tall and Donald Gibb is 6' 4" which is a big difference.

Image Image

grantwiscour
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#12 Post by grantwiscour »

When T.M. is at the stadium and on the phone with Higgins you see a play at home plate on the TV screen. You see the same play during Jaroro Farewell. I can't quite make out the name of the guy sliding into Home.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#13 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I believe he was also in the old First and Ten series on HBO.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MACattack »

This episode makes me wonder how it would play out if it was filmed in 2008, instead of 1983. T.C. would probably have to fight his way through a tournament similiar to the UFC!!!! He's a bad ass dude, but he would need to learn karate or kickboxing to stay up.
I just don't give a damn!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#15 Post by Doc Ibold »

This episode has one of the "odder" quotes I've ever heard on the show:

Leon: "King of the Mountain of the World! T.C.! He's beautiful..... and a man!"

Hwhaaaaa?

:shock:

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

My first review of the week – not outstanding, but a reasonable episode.

[rating=8.5]

While Magnum is away in Detroit, T.C. is driving the Ferrari when he has an accident that injures a professional boxer. Finding that the man was part of a unit that once saved him in ‘Nam, T.C. takes his place in a series of bare-knuckle bouts. A middling ep…

-----

‘A Sense of Debt’ (original working title: ‘King of the Mountain’, and sometimes billed as ‘A Sense of Justice’), is the second Magnum-lite episode of the season, after the Rick-based ‘Smaller Than Life’. Of the two episodes, ‘A Sense of Debt’ is the better, although not perfect.

It is great to see a story revolving around T.C., who is a great character. Roger E. Mosley pulls it off easily, and the episode works much better than stories based around Rick.

Cast as boxer Leon’s daughter Ima is a young Shannon Doherty. Doherty had a number of guest roles around this time (she can also be seen in the early first season ‘Airwolf’ episode ‘Bite of the Jackal’), before making it to the big time when she was older.

Anyway, the story is reasonable, and on the whole I like it, but it never feels to completely find its pacing in my view. It is fun to see T.C. being put through his paces in the boxing ring, and continually finding out that there is more to the arrangement than he first thought.

The Magnum-in-Detroit sections of the episode aren’t really much to write home about, and add little to the story. They really feel like they were put in just so Magnum featured in the storyline, but the episode could well have done without them.

All-in-all, this is a reasonable and watchable episode of the series. It is nice to see T.C. get a story to himself for once, but at the same time, it isn’t really an outstanding story either.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* When T.C. is driving the Ferrari near the beginning of the story, there is a stock shot where it is quite clearly Tom Selleck driving – you can see his head sticking out behind the windshield.

* When T.C., Leon and Ima arrive at the Estate, it is dark; but when they are talking to Higgins in the study, it is still partially light outside.

* The DVD version of this episode has all of the commercial breaks abridged.

* Surprisingly, when Five broadcast this episode in 2002, they barely edited it at all. All that I can find was removed was a three second shot at the climax, of T.C.’s opponent holding him by the ears and headbutting him – Five were always cautious about headbutting!

* I wonder if anyone has any background information on this episode – was it originally written for Magnum to become the boxer, or was it intended for T.C. all along?
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#17 Post by Doc Ibold »

Hey Jay,

My take on this is that it was intended for TC all along. What you refer to as "Magnum Lite" (Sounds like a really cool beer), I call a "Rick/TC/Higgins" centric episode.

I look at these types of episodes in one of two ways.

1) Selleck was on location filming a movie, so he wasn't able to actually be around to "film" the episode, so they come up with some sort of scheme to keep him out of the action, thus focusing the action around the other 3 in the ensemble.

2) Selleck was pretty adamant that the show not be all about him, and these episodes were shot to flush out the rest of the cast. Season 4 is pretty notorious for this, as there's at least 2 non Magnum centric episodes for each of the characters. One Magnum REALLY Lite, and one Magnum there... but its not about him.

Magnum REALLY Lite

Smaller Than Life (Rick)
A Sense of Debt (TC)
Holmes Is Where The Heart Is (Higgins)

Magnum There... Kinda Sorta

Distant Relative (Rick)
Paradise Blues (TC)
Letter To A Duchess (Higgins)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by lutherhgillis »

Some folks do not like the episodes that feature the other characters more heavily than TS but, for me, it lended to making the show a stronger show.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Doc Ibold - yes, that's a good way to look at it, I think it's a little of both Selleck being busy filming elsewhere, and insisting the show wasn't just about him.

Luther - I actually quite like this ep in it's own way, even if it's not perfect. The fact it had little TS personally didn't really bother me, but I know some don't like it for that reason.

I'll have a bottle of Magnum lite please! :lol:
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#20 Post by Rutledal »

James J. Walters wrote:Donald Gibb is one of my favorite Hollywood "tough guys". Here's what he looks like today....

:shock:
He was great in Bloodsport. I love that movie, unlike this episode that movie had some great fight coregraphy.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by steveadl »

Feel so sorry for TM when he finally gets to the final game and is forced to leave!

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by miltontheripper »

When T.M. is at the stadium and on the phone with Higgins you see a play at home plate on the TV screen. You see the same play during Jaroro Farewell. I can't quite make out the name of the guy sliding into Home.

I also noticed that the above referenced play was also seen in Jororo Farewell. I liked this episode and all the Selleck/Tigers scenes, especially with Trammell and Whitaker. What a cool guest appearance for all us Tigers fans!!! So am I correct in assuming that Charley did payoff the fighters and they were throwing the matches or did TC really win? I know he beat the last guy but I've always had slight confusion about that as Leon suggests that they were paid to lose.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Seaver41 »

not a big fan of this episode, although Roger did well in his role. He didn't overact. Other than that, Selleck's appearance was cheesy. It just seemed like a lot of mediocre acting. Ironically, the ring scenes were handled well enough. This is one I could go a long time before watching again.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#24 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Am I the only one to think that Platt fella is one passive-aggresive, emotionally manipulative son of a gun? Only St. Theodore of Louisiana would put up with that.

firefly
Commander

#25 Post by firefly »

isn't the fact that magnum did not recognize alan trammell and lou whitaker a flub? those two were the "face" of the tigers back then, any baseball fan, especially a tigers fanatic, would have been able to pick them out. now granted, i suppose magnum would not expect to run into them in some local bar but still.

nonetheless, i enjoyed the episode, not great but still an enjoyable one.