1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 89

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Look (4.9)

#51 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

That's unfortunate. :lol: Everyone and their sister flirted with perms in the 80s!

Though perhaps Gretchen's didn't last a lot longer, as by her Murder, She Wrote appearance she seemed to revert back to her natural "Beth Davenport" hair.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Little Garwood »

Seeking to escape the inevitable sadness of watching Home from the Sea, I instead put on The Look, which I mistakenly believed would provide some humorous value (Holly's hair, e.g.)

Instead, I felt nearly as down after having watched The Look:

I liked that the story tricked the viewer into believing Holly was searching for her lost love, when in fact she was just fomenting a vengeance plot for twelve years. Holly became consumed with hatred, yet in a sick and twisted way still wanted an idyllic wedding, except she was going to go through with it via a murder-suicide (aka a "Cuban Divorce") with nasty Don.

The scene at KTDE--anyone else hear that eerie buzzing outside the radio station?--with Holly Hudson seething with white-hot rage ("Do You know how humiliating that was?!?") at her weasily loser of an ex-fiance, the rubbery-faced Don Cassidy (Stephen Young).

It was surprisingly effective when the Universal House Band's rendition of The Beatles' "Yesterday" plays over the freeze frame at episode's end. Holly Hudson, too, "longs for yesterday." Depressing, really. Only the thought of Holly's perm prevents the viewer from wallowing in a total, abyss-like depression.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by K Hale »

It's a downer for sure. I only like it for the gradual buildup where more and more gets revealed about what Magnum is building, as we are gradually let in on the secret of Higgins' unbirthday party.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Little Garwood »

K Hale wrote:It's a downer for sure. I only like it for the gradual buildup where more and more gets revealed about what Magnum is building, as we are gradually let in on the secret of Higgins' unbirthday party.
I also enjoyed the scene in the guest house when the guys and Holly are laughing over Holly's amusing 'Nam-era reminiscences.

After all these years and multiple viewings, I don't know how I missed TM's breaking the fourth wall and smile after Higgins incorrectly guessed what Magnum was building. :oops:

~Tom Selleck

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by K Hale »

Little Garwood wrote:
K Hale wrote:It's a downer for sure. I only like it for the gradual buildup where more and more gets revealed about what Magnum is building, as we are gradually let in on the secret of Higgins' unbirthday party.
I also enjoyed the scene in the guest house when the guys and Holly are laughing over Holly's amusing 'Nam-era reminiscences.

After all these years and multiple viewings, I don't know how I missed TM's breaking the fourth wall and smile after Higgins incorrectly guessed what Magnum was building. :oops:
The Irrawaddy Bridge. And then the Mag grins slyly at us. LOL
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by ENSHealy »

4.9 THE LOOK
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless:
OMG/Extraordinarys:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 1.5
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice: 1
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections: 1
4th wall breaks: 1
Magnumometer: 5.5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/389613503

Potential magnumania usernames: Irrawaddy Bridge

50% of all illnesses are psychosomatic

There are at least 11 telephones in the main house.

The Higgins Cure for the Common Cold:
Throat spray atomizer, 6 ounce.
2 tins coId Iozenges.
Mrs. Cywanowitz's canned chicken soup, 12 ounces
6 Iimes
Honey
Tea
3 bottIes rose water
1 bottIe cognac
Pop up tissues
NasaI decongestant
1 Iarge tin UncIe Cy’s sweetened succotash
Mano wrote:I believe that only the army has Warrent Officer pilots. I'm fairly sure thay you have to be an officer to fly for the Marines. If this was true in vietnam then calling TC a warrant officer was a mistake.
Aside from the fact that there may not have been any Marine warrant officer pilots in Vietnam (which if true is definitely a flub), when Maggie refers to T.C. as a warrant officer in Did You See the Sunrise, she is specifically talking about he and Thomas when they were in Vietnam, in the context of having to search through all the possible soldiers, sailors and airmen that might have had contact with them while they were there. Given that, I don’t think it is a flub. She is using his rank at the time, when discussing searching for someone who would have had contact with them at that time
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#57 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

AmandaByNight wrote:I love this episode. It's not so much the storyline that grabs me as much as Gretchen's character and performance. It's a poignant episode about how we build these people inside our heads, much in the same way she does... fantasies. And then there's the letdown... or the look.
Gretchen often played these kind of outsider characters, like in She's Dressed to Kill (1979), and it worked because she's different looking, but still compelling.
One of her first acting roles is a small part in Let's Scare Jessica to Death where all the women are like Gretchen. Oddly compelling and uniquely beautiful.
As you can probably guess, I like Gretchen! :)
Amanda,
She always impressed me as a very good actress but when people gushed how beautiful she was I didn't see it, perhaps it was because her hair style
always seemed rather matronly to me for some reason. You wrote she was "uniquely beautiful" and as of today I full heartedly agree.
Decades today ran a marathon of NYPD starring Jack Warden, it ran for 49 episodes in 1967 and 1968. In what has to be one of Gretchen's first roles,
she played a breathtakingly beautiful bikini wearing go-go dancer in the "Case of the Shady Lady" at the age of 21.
I had no idea it was her till the credits rolled and was floored because I would never have recognized her in a million years!
She played a sexpot who used not just her body but savvy manipulation(Corbett's acting here was wonderful) to reduce all the males in the
cast to jelly, especially Frank Converse. She indeed had "The Look" in this episode and she nailed it.
Just a side note, the casting directors on NYPD were amazing, almost every episode had young future stars in roles large and small, or just in the background
such as Esther Rolle as a nurse. James Earl Jones played the director of Phoenix House in a memorable 2 parter. Many Broadway actors appeared,
as well as well known character actor types. Filmed on location, Law & Order could learn from them how to use the streets of the City.
The required editing needed to fit in the 8 minutes or more of commercials for the reruns hurts this well written character driven series far more than
other series.
If you want to experience the 1960's or relive it again this series captures the era better than most, the "Candy Man" 2 part episode with James Earl Jones
is a perfect introduction to those times.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#58 Post by SeamanWolfe »

I never knew about studios having their own covers of songs. From memory (I watched it a few weeks back). She's not there and yesterday were pretty close to the originals, Satisfaction was terrible.

It is always hard to watch shows where they change the music (wkrp in the 90s syndication run coming to the top of my mind) - although there are a few 90s teen shows that suffer a similar fate in syndication (if I list them here I might get my invitation to the king Kamehameha club revoked).

When I turned this one on the other night - I was happy to hear the songs from the original airing (even if they were weird corporate cover versions).

This episode is one of the first ones I remember watching "live" on CBS. Might have been a rerun, but it was definitely in prime time.

bjs
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#59 Post by bjs »

Were these songs muzak covers in the original broadcast, or only on the DVD version? Anyway, the muzak cheapens the episode, in more ways than one.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#60 Post by Pahonu »

bjs wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:19 am Were these songs muzak covers in the original broadcast, or only on the DVD version? Anyway, the muzak cheapens the episode, in more ways than one.
I’m not certain, but it wasn’t very expensive for TV series to use older music in broadcast episodes, so I’d guess that they were originals. Getting rights to current hits as Miami Vice did, was more expensive, but the publishing rights for DVD copies proved prohibitively expensive for many series.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by Little Garwood »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:04 am
bjs wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:19 am Were these songs muzak covers in the original broadcast, or only on the DVD version? Anyway, the muzak cheapens the episode, in more ways than one.
I’m not certain, but it wasn’t very expensive for TV series to use older music in broadcast episodes, so I’d guess that they were originals. Getting rights to current hits as Miami Vice did, was more expensive, but the publishing rights for DVD copies proved prohibitively expensive for many series.
I believe the songs were by what I referred to as the “Universal House Band.” I’m going by my memory of the episode when it first aired, as my childhood friends and I would poke fun at those tunes being “obvious” cover versions.

However, if anyone can provide on-air VHS recordings proving those are the original recordings, please do. I’d be shocked and also wrong these past almost 40 years, which wouldn’t be the first time that happened!

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#62 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:01 pm
Pahonu wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:04 am
I believe the songs were by what I referred to as the “Universal House Band.” I’m going by my memory of the episode when it first aired, as my childhood friends and I would poke fun at those tunes being “obvious” cover versions.

However, if anyone can provide on-air VHS recordings proving those are the original recordings, please do. I’d be shocked and also wrong these past almost 40 years, which wouldn’t be the first time that happened!
Yes, I’d be very interested to know what originally aired. The music rights for these previously copyrighted songs also changed when a series went from network broadcast to syndication into multiple markets on different stations. I don’t know if this is still true though. So as an example, a VHS recording done in 1987 from a syndicated airing of an older episode could have edited music, even while the series was still airing on the network.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#63 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Going just on memory - it was the same version as syndication. Definitely the same songs. (35+ years later I am saying that with confidence).

I think there were different rules for music if you filmed on tape or film. It was how wkrp was able to get so many current songs in their episodes. Completely from memory - you could keep the rights for 10 years if shot on video (which allowed wkrp to have those songs during their syndication run from approx (84 - 88).

I can say for sure in did you see the sunrise, it was always the bad cover of satisfaction.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#64 Post by 80s Big Hair »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:19 am Going just on memory - it was the same version as syndication. Definitely the same songs. (35+ years later I am saying that with confidence).

I think there were different rules for music if you filmed on tape or film. It was how wkrp was able to get so many current songs in their episodes. Completely from memory - you could keep the rights for 10 years if shot on video (which allowed wkrp to have those songs during their syndication run from approx (84 - 88).

I can say for sure in did you see the sunrise, it was always the bad cover of satisfaction.
That makes sense, albeit in an aribitrary way. Why film can use it but tape cannot? Perhaps Panonhu knows as he was in the entertainment industry. The Magnum episodes that have Genesis songs for an extended time (Laura and Death and Taxes) I am confident used the real music in syndication. For sure the DVDs and Blu-Rays also used the original music. It would be blatantly obvious if they did not as that was the only sound.

Two other things you mentioned of interest to me:

1) When WKRP in Cincinnati was released on DVD one of my cousins ordered it and invited me to enjoy it with him. He was devastated when he found out the DVDs ripped out all the music. The show did take place at a radio station...

2) Why on Earth does the entertainment industry believe that "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" is the default song of the Vietnam War? I blame Francis Ford Coppola.

Pahonu

#65 Post by Pahonu »

80s Big Hair wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:58 am
SeamanWolfe wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:19 am Going just on memory - it was the same version as syndication. Definitely the same songs. (35+ years later I am saying that with confidence).

That makes sense, albeit in an aribitrary way. Why film can use it but tape cannot? Perhaps Panonhu knows as he was in the entertainment industry. The Magnum episodes that have Genesis songs for an extended time (Laura and Death and Taxes) I am confident used the real music in syndication. For sure the DVDs and Blu-Rays also used the original music. It would be blatantly obvious if they did not as that was the only sound.

Two other things you mentioned of interest to me:

1) When WKRP in Cincinnati was released on DVD one of my cousins ordered it and invited me to enjoy it with him. He was devastated when he found out the DVDs ripped out all the music. The show did take place at a radio station...

2) Why on Earth does the entertainment industry believe that "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" is the default song of the Vietnam War? I blame Francis Ford Coppola.
There are multiple levels of licensing, as I mentioned above. I know there is different licensing for films that are distributed physically to theaters, and recordings to be broadcast on television. I’m not familiar with any difference between broadcasting something recorded on tape vs. film. I cannot say so today, but in the past when I worked, even shows recorded and edited on film ultimately delivered the final product to the stations as video tapes. The stations don’t have the equipment to show films. Film was generally used when a significant amount of scenes are not on a soundstage with highly controlled lighting. Filming outside or even indoors on location has far less control over the light and video tape would be poor in those conditions.

Recorded versions like CD’s or DVD’s sold to the public are called mechanical licensing. That’s were many series like WKRP, that used lots of copyrighted music run into trouble. When the show was created they got licensing for broadcast. To sell DVD’s means licensing every piece of music again, and that has been prohibitively expensive for some series.