6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 89

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey guys, I was wrong about T.C. wearing his "old Marine jacket" when he visits Maggie. I missed the part where he says he is on his way to a reserve meeting! So it wasn't his old jacket, but his current jacket! This would mean that his current reservist rank is Captain. This also suggests that his change in status from Warrant Officer (in the Vietnam War) to commissioned reserve officer is intentional.

Phew, feels good to finally have that resolved! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#17 Post by rubber chicken »

"KTDE" radio is located here on Kamehame Ridge. The site was a Nike missile "administrative" installation up to the mid 1960s, and later a Witness Protection System safe house.
Image Image

It's now home to Winners' Camp for teens. Here's some links concerning Winners' Camp:
02.12.2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin article with photo.
07.2001 [url=ttp://www.smallbusinesshawaii.com/2001/July4.html]Small Business Hawaii article[/url]
12.14.2005 Midweek article
02.19.2006 Hawaii Reporter article
Building Winners' Camp photos

The overlook location is located here, just a short ways NW from KTDE.
Image Image

It seems that the wooden structure has been replaced by a hang glider launch pad.
overview photo of the ridge (with green launch pad)
hang glider launching photo
Last edited by rubber chicken on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Sam »

Good job as usual RC in locating the radio station.

The hang gliding launch pad was used in Mad Buck Gibson and is located just above the estate.
http://www.pbase.com/goislands/image/7762013

Kamehame Ridge is also the location used in Solo Flight.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#19 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nice RC! The Kamehame Ridge site has a very interesting history.

Delorese Gregorie and her Winners' Camp is truly an inspiring story. The world needs more people like her.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

Found out some interesting info regarding the Holly Hudson character. She is not-so-loosely based on the pioneering New York City WNEW-FM (102.7) disc jockey Allison Steele (aka "The Nightbird"). WNEW 102.7 is a legendary station in early FM rock. In one of the opening scenes, Magnum is listening Holly Hudson on 102.7.

Mano
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by Mano »

The afternoon DJ on AFN here in Iraq is named Holly and sounds alot like the actress in this episode. I'll try and catch her last name.

I believe that only the army has Warrent Officer pilots. I'm fairly sure thay you have to be an officer to fly for the Marines. If this was true in vietnam then calling TC a warrant officer was a mistake.

I've never thought about Ricks rank, I imagine he was a junior NCO. Does anybody know?

brunoffrance
Captain

#22 Post by brunoffrance »

7 around the table , today sunday and a really good note for this episode : 9,5 with some 10 from a part of my familly..
Curiously the oter votes from members was not so high... and all of us had appreciated it...
The raison... the Music because it was what we call Music... Beatles ( or seems to be) , Rolling stones ( idem) and Otis Redding. As a radio, the music is important so the choice was terrible and well associated with what we think playing or broadcasting during the Vietnam war ( from french people we are... Thank you Apocalypse Now movie).

The story is correct and we are proud to give you the information that the Holly's car is a french car... a Renault "Fuego"... a sport car made in France... i suppose you didn't know that.... Very few renault were imported in USA ... no succes... and i understand why... Too small for youand certainly not the good moment for a new car brand in the 80's

I've noted THE big flub ( surprised that no one has seen it), when TC & TM take the copter to find Holly during the higgins anniversary , there was the plastic anniversary higgins baby hung on it and no more during the travel and finally again on the copter when they joined holly ... too big this time.

Happy to bring you something new.

Bruno.
Very american 4 a french...

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

‘The Look’ – not outstandingly bad nor good, just an average episode in my view.

[rating=8.0]

Recognising her as a voice from Vietnam, Magnum visits a local radio DJ, who is experiencing a series of death threats over the phone, and who asks him to help look for her missing fiancé, whom she lost contact with in ‘Nam. An average instalment…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

I find ‘The Look’ to be neither an outstandingly bad nor outstandingly good episode of the series; overall, I just find it an average story.

Playing DJ Holly Hudson is Gretchen Corbett, one of several ‘Rockford Files’ cast to appear in MPI, in her second of two appearances in the series, after playing a different character in the first season episode ‘The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club’. Like the episode, she is not outstandingly bad nor good in the role.
I like the idea of a radio presenter with whom many Vietnam vets identified with and believed in, without even knowing what she looks like.

Interesting to listen out for is the large number of Universal stock music covers played at the radio station, from an era when this was cheaper to do that to use the original version. Thankfully, on the DVD version of the episode, these songs have not been replaced by stock music, as is the case on many other DVD releases of various television shows.

Jean Bruce Scott makes her only appearance of the season, and the last time she will be seen until the seventh season episode ‘Death and Taxes’ (she was presumably not seen in the meantime due to being busy filming ‘Airwolf’). Gone is her ‘severe’ look from the third season, losing the big glasses and having a more casual hairstyle.

Then there is the subplot, of Magnum, T.C. and Rick (well, mostly T.C. and Rick, while Magnum is busy on his case!) building a surprise birthday construction from Higgins’ birthday. At the beginning of the story, Higgins is suffering a heavy cold, but it suddenly disappears halfway through without explanation (maybe he was, as Magnum suggests, just feeling left out).
Either way, it seems implausible that they wouldn’t know when his birthday was – Magnum has been living on the several Estate for several years by this point, and even if he didn’t know, I find it hard to believe that Agatha, who has known Higgins since 1975, wouldn’t know its correct date.

And this leads on to one of the most noticeable continuity bloopers of the entire series: T.C. lands on the Estate with a banner reading ‘Happy Birthday Higgie Baby’ on his helicopter; yet when Magnum and T.C. rush off to find Holly, stock footage is used and the banner is gone. When they arrive at their location, the banner is suddenly back again!

The development of Holly taking her fiancé at gunpoint is an interesting twist, and one that I didn’t see coming.

This episode could really have come from any season of the show. It is perfectly watchable, but is definitely one of the show’s more average episodes in my opinion.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:
* Noting more to add to this episode.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Frodoleader »

Great review as usual Jay!
I might add that there may be a blooper, when TC and TM arrive at the lookout point where Holly is holding Cassidy under gunpoint. When the chopper rises up into view, you can clearly see that the pilot, is not TC. It appears to be a Caucasian man wearing a ski mask!!!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Frodoleader wrote:Great review as usual Jay!
I might add that there may be a blooper, when TC and TM arrive at the lookout point where Holly is holding Cassidy under gunpoint. When the chopper rises up into view, you can clearly see that the pilot, is not TC. It appears to be a Caucasian man wearing a ski mask!!!
Oh yes - I actually saw that too but forgot to make a note of it. I thought he was wearing a ski mask too! :lol:
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

Now that's what I call an amusing flub! :)

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#27 Post by Rutledal »

Could somone put up a picture of that? The only picture of this on the site doesn'r show TC's face.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#28 Post by J.J. Walters »

Here you go...

The pilot appears to be wearing a black undershirt, too. And that's not Selleck in the passenger seat either!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#29 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:Here you go...

The pilot appears to be wearing a black undershirt, too. And that's not Selleck in the passenger seat either!
Quoth Charles Barkley.... "Thats Tuuuuuuurible!"

:lol:

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Frodoleader »

You can also be sure that is not a real gun in her hand!

Oh the things they do to fool and trick us!

:D
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan