6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 89

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

Man, that must have been a nerve-racking scene for Gretchen Corbett and Stephen Young to film! They are standing on a makeshift, wooden perch that is several stories up. Then a helicopter elevates up to their position at a close distance! I know the chopper is farther away than it appears, but those blades look awful close!

Heights scare me enough, but helicopter blades scare me even more! I don't think I would have been able to do a scene like that!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Tuan Vu
Captain

#32 Post by Tuan Vu »

Wow, how time flies. That is Joe Moore

http://www.khon2.com/content/bios/story ... 7b6lA.cspx

possibly Hawaii's favorite news anchor for many years, playing the part of the soldier arguing with the guys about Holly Fox.

In real life, Joe Moore was a newscaster with the American Forces Vietnam Network in Saigon during the war, so it was appropriate for him to be in this particular episode. He also appeared in a couple of other Magnum P.I. episodes that I can recall.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by steveadl »

J.J. Walters wrote:Man, that must have been a nerve-racking scene for Gretchen Corbett and Stephen Young to film! They are standing on a makeshift, wooden perch that is several stories up.
I was amazed at how high the cliffs were looking up from the estate, let alone what it would be like peering over the edge from up top! Yikes! :shock:

burny
Commander

#34 Post by burny »

not hugely fascinating....but, having coincidentally watched the 2 episodes
within the same few days....

the pretty brunette mag mistakes for holly fox when he initially visits the
station (i think her character name is Lori) was also the dancer Kendall
Chases's dressing room "roomate" in the "Sixth Position"....she discovers
the men in Kendall's dressing room.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by AmandaByNight »

I love this episode. It's not so much the storyline that grabs me as much as Gretchen's character and performance. It's a poignant episode about how we build these people inside our heads, much in the same way she does... fantasies. And then there's the letdown... or the look.

Gretchen often played these kind of outsider characters, like in She's Dressed to Kill (1979), and it worked because she's different looking, but still compelling.

One of her first acting roles is a small part in Let's Scare Jessica to Death where all the women are like Gretchen. Oddly compelling and uniquely beautiful.

As you can probably guess, I like Gretchen! :)

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This episode is awesome...one of the best of season 4!

The Saigon flashbacks and memories are awesome, and the plot is superb...Magnum running into a voice from the past on the radio, that everyone fantasized about back in Vietnam. Then he meets her, and ends up helping her figure out who is stalking/terrorizing her--all the while trying to help her find her long lost fiance.

I love the "Hitchcockian" style plot twist at the end...unexpected the first time you see it, and still captivating with more viewings! The action, suspense, and plot all make this one a treat! Excellent! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#37 Post by miltontheripper »

I have to say this one was not one of my favorites. Not bad by any means, I loved higgins birthday bash! Just not one that stood out to me. Always like the vietnam flashbacks though.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by MaiTaiMan »

miltontheripper wrote:I have to say this one was not one of my favorites. Not bad by any means, I loved higgins birthday bash! Just not one that stood out to me. Always like the vietnam flashbacks though.
Yeah, Higgin's birthday party with T.C. flying over with "Higgy Baby" on the chopper was hilarious! :lol:

But, I truly enjoyed the rest of the episode and the "darker" plot of the mysterious D.J. woman, and what had happened in Vietnam. :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

RamblerReb
Commander

#39 Post by RamblerReb »

One possible explanation for Agatha's seeming ignorance of Higgins's birthdate is that she knew perfectly well that it wasn't his birthday, but was too well-bred and polite to embarrass Magnum and his friends by pointing it out. It would be perfectly in keeping with her character to do so. It is also possible that an intensely private man like Higgins never celebrates his birthday, therefore, the matter just never came up.

Just a quick note, but when I clicked on the travel agent's IMDB page, I noted that this episode is her one and only acting credit ever.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by MaiTaiMan »

RamblerReb wrote:One possible explanation for Agatha's seeming ignorance of Higgins's birthdate is that she knew perfectly well that it wasn't his birthday, but was too well-bred and polite to embarrass Magnum and his friends by pointing it out. It would be perfectly in keeping with her character to do so. It is also possible that an intensely private man like Higgins never celebrates his birthday, therefore, the matter just never came up.

Just a quick note, but when I clicked on the travel agent's IMDB page, I noted that this episode is her one and only acting credit ever.
This is very true...Agatha and Higgins were so "Britishly-reserved" that birthdays may never have been brought up...however, I bet Higgins knew Agatha's and she his. :wink:

Yeah, some people have a one-time guest spot and never do anything again...strange! You'd think they'd do a few more before deciding they didn't like the business. Who knows?? :shock:

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#41 Post by Mark R.Y. »

There's a nifty clever bit in this compelling episode which I don't think has yet been noted here: The song that is playing right before Magnum recognizes Holly's dedication from a day or two ago (and thus clues him in that she is not there live) is..."She's Not There"! :wink:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

Mark R.Y. wrote:There's a nifty clever bit in this compelling episode which I don't think has yet been noted here: The song that is playing right before Magnum recognizes Holly's dedication from a day or two ago (and thus clues him in that she is not there live) is..."She's Not There"! :wink:
Oh, wow! I never noticed that before! Very clever indeed!

Great song, too. I've always loved The Zombies. Odessey and Oracle is still one of my favorites albums ever.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Seaver41 »

rated this average. Nothing terribly compelling about the episode. It reminded me too much of the earlier episode with Marcia Strassman who was a nurse they knew in Vietnam...........they held a similar kind of reverence for her. The climax takes place on a peak and of course the female lead is troubled. Sure some details are obviously different, but this was kind of formulaic to me.

snp389
Captain

#44 Post by snp389 »

I like this episode. I love the whole business with JQH's birthday, and his attempts to find out what the construction really was.
The moment when TSM brings JQH out for the birthday announcement, we see TC's 500D hovering down with the huge sign attached to the skid with "Happy Birthday Higgy Baby" is a classic.

The end scene with TSM and Holly is a nice one too. Shows the effect of war and combat can have far reaching effects to many, not just military.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re:

#45 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

[quote="burny"] not hugely fascinating....but, having coincidentally watched the 2 episodes
within the same few days....

the pretty brunette mag mistakes for holly fox when he initially visits the
station (i think her character name is Lori) was also the dancer Kendall
Chases's dressing room "roomate" in the "Sixth Position"....she discovers
the men in Kendall's dressing room.[/quote]

That's really frustrating, because she's one of the most fascinatingly beautiful actresses on the show but you never get to see much of her.

In "The Sixth Position" when she enters the dressing room and screams you think she's going to be the ballerina in distress, only to found out it's actually Andrea Marcovici.

Here in "The Look" you think she's going to be Holly but the find out Holly is actually a plain Jane with a poodle perm and the brunette is never to be seen again.