6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 128

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by MACattack »

On Christmas Eve, I'm going to sit down with a large Red Baron pizza and a six pack of Coops (Samuel Adams) to enjoy this episode. Now, if I only had a cigar......
I just don't give a damn!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#42 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Mac I took care of the cigar for you!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by MACattack »

Thanx. I'll drink a six pack for YOU on New Years!!!!! Hopefully, I wake up on a beach somewhere, the next day!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#44 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Sounds like a plan. I wish I had a beach to wake up on. It's about a two and a half hour drive for me.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by MACattack »

Sounds like you need to relocate, brother! Either closer to a beach in North Carolina, or in Cali! I, on the other hand am saving up to move to Hawai'i forever!!!! Some of my friends are already there. 8)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#46 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Hawaii would be the deal! I want to retire at the beach one day, but I have too long to go to think about that!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by MACattack »

Its all good. I guess Barack Obama could be considered the real T.C.!!! (no disrespect to Roger Mosley, he's a class act!). Obama was born there and is currently vacationing there. Now, if he could only get somebody to paint the Air Force One helicopter rainbow colors!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#48 Post by N1095A »

Marine One, Air Force One is the plane.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by MACattack »

Thanks for the heads up! The writers of MPI should have had you as an advisor!

Tuan Vu
Captain

#50 Post by Tuan Vu »

A couple of strange things about this episode:

1. Rick, who is a Vietnam veteran, is afraid of insects and freaks out about being stranded on an island in Hawaii, even though there is a high likelihood that T.C. will fix the chopper or they will be rescued.

2. The commander of the destroyer orders the shelling of the island even though he knows about the fire on the island and that there are people on it (or perhaps I am missing something here).

Anyway, the best scene was with T.C. and Higgins where T.C. calls Higgins "Johnathan."

Also, it was great to hear everyone singing. T.C. has a pretty good voice. I'm not so sure about the other guys, though. :lol:

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Coops »

1. I went to Navy bootcamp with guys that were deathly afraid of water. I am not kidding.

2. Ship captains are the last true monarchs left in the world. Psycho captains are rare but they are out there. I know, I served under one.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#52 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Once out on the open sea the Old Man is almost the word of God!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Interesting episode...where all the gang has to work together to try and find a way off the island. Higgins' hat he weaves is hilarious! :lol:

I also enjoy Rick's quick sand scene...he's such a drama queen! :P I also love the raft Higgins attempts to make out of the old Japanese WWII plane they found on the island. That actually was a pretty intricate idea...but it was hilarious when it sank immediately with Higgins standing in the middle of it! :lol:

The military men were way too over-dramatic though...especially the whacko commander of the ship. :shock: He seemed to talk and act like a psychopath or something. He also seemed to have no trouble murdering people he knew were on the island by blowing them up. :o

I love the end though, where T.C. finally fixes the chopper well enough to take off and they all break out into "Silent Night". Heart warming and a perfect happy ending to a Christmas episode. :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#54 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

I'm surprised no one mentioned the hilariously bad night flying effects when they're singing Silent Night!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Seaver41 »

I was laughing my ass off at the Rick dialogue while looking for Higgins........he worries about cannibals and answers the wondering of Magnum on where Higgins could be...Rick says stewing in a pot......it was par for the course for Rick in this episode. He was quite overdramatic.

This to me was a bone to the viewers. I say that in the context of it was blatant confirmation to what we have been watching unfold for 4 seasons.........Higgins genuinely cares about Magnum and there is at least some level of friendship between Higgins and Rick/TC. Those were nice moments to digest around the holiday theme of goodwill to men (and women).

Yes, a lot of the episode was contrived to deliver the main points they wanted, but all in all it works. The naval scenes on board were about the worst I've ever seen anywhere. It looked like they converted a classroom or something similar. Horribly written/directed/edited/lighted scenes with Ed Lauter. Quite honestly, the effect would've been more dramatic had they cut those scenes out altogether and just had that initial flare as any indication to not only the characters but the viewers as well that there was indeed imminent danger.