No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 128

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Operation: Silent Night (4.10)

#71 Post by K Hale »

I enjoy this one. Nice to see the guys out on a harmless adventure together. Well, except for the Navy ship, but let's just not count that, haha.

I have to admit when they find the plane and then start cutting it up to make a boat, I cringed. The Japanese plane that scouted Pearl Harbor? That should have been in a museum. Of course the cut-up part didn't get very far off the beach, so I suppose a salvage crew could have been dispatched to the island to retrieve it all... :idea:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

jeffran
Captain

#72 Post by jeffran »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Operation Silent Night is one of my all time favorites and I actually remember seeing it when it first aired. I just love everything about it, from the lighthearted silly interactions with the characters, to the scenes that illustrate their true camaraderie, to the respect they show for the Japanese pilot. The ending with the guys singing gives me goose bumps and brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it, and that has been many, many times. Were there "technical" errors? Yes, I suppose so, but while I'm watching I don't look for that. I just watch the episode for the sheer enjoyment...and actually that's the way I view the entire series.
Well said, and I agree. This is such a great episode that exemplifies the characters and their relationships that I don't care at all about the technical problems. I just watched this one tonight, and gave it a 10 - the first since "Black and White."

A humorous highlight - Rick's funeral. Another highlight is Higgins' speech about "forgotten battles, sometimes forgotten wars".

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by K Hale »

jeffran wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Operation Silent Night is one of my all time favorites and I actually remember seeing it when it first aired. I just love everything about it, from the lighthearted silly interactions with the characters, to the scenes that illustrate their true camaraderie, to the respect they show for the Japanese pilot. The ending with the guys singing gives me goose bumps and brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it, and that has been many, many times. Were there "technical" errors? Yes, I suppose so, but while I'm watching I don't look for that. I just watch the episode for the sheer enjoyment...and actually that's the way I view the entire series.
Well said, and I agree. This is such a great episode that exemplifies the characters and their relationships that I don't care at all about the technical problems. I just watched this one tonight, and gave it a 10 - the first since "Black and White."

A humorous highlight - Rick's funeral. Another highlight is Higgins' speech about "forgotten battles, sometimes forgotten wars".
That is what Burma is often called, the Forgotten War. Most of the media/public attention of the time was focused on Europe and the American advance across the Pacific. Still is, really. I applaud MPI for making Higgins a Burma veteran.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by K Hale »

OK so I know this ep is known for its technical issues, and I still love it. But I had a thought. At the start, TC says he is dropping the other guys off on various islands (Magnum is going to the Big Island, Higgins to Molokai and I forget where Rick was going) and then he's flying to New Orleans. So how were the other three planning on returning to Oahu? :?:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#75 Post by K Hale »

wilko wrote:Here's another flub.

When Magnum, TC and Rick are looking for Higgins they come across what appears to be "peg leg" tracks (a footprint of his left shoe and a circular impression where the fight foot should be) which they discover to have been made by Higgins walking with a stick in his right hand and dragging palm fronds in his left hand.

This is impossible. If Higgins is dragging the palm fronds in his left hand then the fronds would erase his left shoe prints and not his right shoe print. Conversely if Higgins was dragging the palm fronds with his right hand then he would have to hold the stick in his left hand which would leave the bizzare track of a left shoe print and a circular impression to the outside of that.
I figured this out. He had the stick and the palm fronds in his right hand. It is only later that the guys see him with the stick in his right hand and the palm fronds in his left.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#76 Post by MaximRecoil »

golfmobile wrote:Then their lifiting off just as the bombing starts -- after working all day on the heli, suddenly after dark, TC gets it conveniently fixed? This episode across the board was just a little TOO contrived for me, just one of them that was "trying too hard." Sorry, guys!
SignGuyHPW wrote:It also didn't make sense that they just took off when the shelling happened like they could've left any time that they wanted.
It made sense. TC knew about the option of using the "bang on the exciter with a hammer" trick all along, but he didn't want to try it unless he had to. Here's some dialog from shortly after they landed on the island:
Magnum: Hey, why don't you just bang on it with a ball peen hammer like you did that time in [somewhere in Vietnam]? It started right up.

TC: Because it might not be the exciter. We've only got one shot with that thing. We make a mistake we'll melt the whole engine down.
By the end of the episode, TC had already done a lot of troubleshooting, so he would have had the problem narrowed down a lot more than he did at the beginning of the episode. Had there not been artillery shells raining down, he may have wanted to do a little more trouble shooting, but it was suddenly a life or death situation, so he had no choice but to have Magnum bang on the exciter with a hammer right then and there and take his "one shot" gamble.

Amian
Admiral

#77 Post by Amian »

Sort of a mixed mind about this episode because the good parts are excellent, but the bad parts (mentioned in some earlier posts) are worse than usual.

Really love the bonding... but the snippiness was overboard. They really had at each at times.

Great to see Higgins out there enjoying himself, and his talk with Magnum toward the end was wonderful... but his singlemindedness about the raft seemed off.

TC's alone time, singing, was a good touch.

Also... what was Rick going to say about his cousin??

Nifty911
Captain

#78 Post by Nifty911 »

This is one of those episodes I remember when it first aired on TV. One of my favorites.

Also, it's one of the episodes where Magnum doesn't do any detective work, which the writers always seemed to do a good job with.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by K Hale »

I’ve decided I’m glad we never find out what Rick got up to with his cousin!
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:I’ve decided I’m glad we never find out what Rick got up to with his cousin!
K Hale,
If I recall correctly the cousin and Rick were only 4th graders so it probably fell into the naughty but benign realm.
In any event I found Rick's worrying hysterical, it touched a nerve with all of us former "Doctor" players.
To this day my childhood friend Nancy introduces me as her first physician, her husband is not amused.

Captain Renault:
“Major Strasser’s been shot.” (Glances at Rick, who is holding the smoking gun) "Round up the usual suspects.”
Casablanca(1942)
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by K Hale »

I enjoyed how it got just a little bit creepier every time he tried to tell it to one of the others. :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Chris109 »

K Hale wrote:I enjoyed how it got just a little bit creepier every time he tried to tell it to one of the others. :lol:

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by Laohu »

Yep this is classic TV at it’s best ! Gilligan , Ops I mean Rick just stand up there is no quick sand in Hawaii .

brianw
Rear Admiral

#84 Post by brianw »

Guys, stop letting flubs ruin the show for you. Just enjoy it without all the analysis of mistakes. OK, sorry, rant over.

Now... I love everything about this ep. Even Ed Lauter. Def one of the funniest. Rick in the quick sand was great. TC's singing. Higgins' boat. Even a little bit of seriousness when they find the Japanese wreckage and the pilot.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night.

Merlin11
Ensign

#85 Post by Merlin11 »

Hello my first post. I've been a long time reader of this forum. Great information here.
I have been rewatching the series on hallmark(dont get me started on the edits).
Anyways I just noticed in this episode toward the end when Higgins is speaking it looks like several meteors are flying by in the sky. I thought it was interesting.