No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 128

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Operation: Silent Night (4.10)

#61 Post by SignGuyHPW »

There was a LOT wrong with this one. TC was the only one that had the knowledge on how to fix the chopper, but the other guys kept pestering him constantly and wouldn't let him work on it. Higgins seemed to have deeply regressed psychologically for the episode. He came off as some kind of bumbling fool that they all kind of mocked. Rick had some kind of weird secret that he kept trying to share that got creepier as he tried, but we never found out what it was to make us think it wasn't creepy. The whole thing with the navy going through with the shelling when the CO knew that there were people on the island is nuts. It also didn't make sense that they just took off when the shelling happened like they could've left any time that they wanted.

For everyone wondering about the captain having wine with his meal, there were bottles on board ship for the cooks to use (marsalla being one) so he may have taken a bottle that officially "broke during rough seas." I liked the idea behind the episode, but just didn't like how it was executed. I think they could've really tightened it up some. TC getting a lot of singing time was kind of cool since he only did a little per episode normally. If they were going for Rick having delayed stress due to how the island reminded him of Nam then that was a great concept. They teased it in Memories Are Forever when he freaked out over that kid following Magnum so it's not too far fetched.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#62 Post by Doc Ibold »

SignGuyHPW wrote:There was a LOT wrong with this one. TC was the only one that had the knowledge on how to fix the chopper, but the other guys kept pestering him constantly and wouldn't let him work on it. Higgins seemed to have deeply regressed psychologically for the episode. He came off as some kind of bumbling fool that they all kind of mocked. Rick had some kind of weird secret that he kept trying to share that got creepier as he tried, but we never found out what it was to make us think it wasn't creepy. The whole thing with the navy going through with the shelling when the CO knew that there were people on the island is nuts. It also didn't make sense that they just took off when the shelling happened like they could've left any time that they wanted.

For everyone wondering about the captain having wine with his meal, there were bottles on board ship for the cooks to use (marsalla being one) so he may have taken a bottle that officially "broke during rough seas." I liked the idea behind the episode, but just didn't like how it was executed. I think they could've really tightened it up some. TC getting a lot of singing time was kind of cool since he only did a little per episode normally. If they were going for Rick having delayed stress due to how the island reminded him of Nam then that was a great concept. They teased it in Memories Are Forever when he freaked out over that kid following Magnum so it's not too far fetched.
I always thought this was a good episode, really showed the bond between the guys.. Even if the shelling plot was a little out there.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#63 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Doc Ibold wrote:
SignGuyHPW wrote:There was a LOT wrong with this one. TC was the only one that had the knowledge on how to fix the chopper, but the other guys kept pestering him constantly and wouldn't let him work on it. Higgins seemed to have deeply regressed psychologically for the episode. He came off as some kind of bumbling fool that they all kind of mocked. Rick had some kind of weird secret that he kept trying to share that got creepier as he tried, but we never found out what it was to make us think it wasn't creepy. The whole thing with the navy going through with the shelling when the CO knew that there were people on the island is nuts. It also didn't make sense that they just took off when the shelling happened like they could've left any time that they wanted.

I always thought this was a good episode, really showed the bond between the guys.. Even if the shelling plot was a little out there.
I think other episodes did that better personally. They were pretty harsh with Higgins while he was trying to make that boat even though they were eventually proven right. TC also was, clearly, upset with the other three from the start.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Operation Silent Night is one of my all time favorites and I actually remember seeing it when it first aired. I just love everything about it, from the lighthearted silly interactions with the characters, to the scenes that illustrate their true camaraderie, to the respect they show for the Japanese pilot. The ending with the guys singing gives me goose bumps and brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it, and that has been many, many times. Were there "technical" errors? Yes, I suppose so, but while I'm watching I don't look for that. I just watch the episode for the sheer enjoyment...and actually that's the way I view the entire series.

Floyd Lewellyn
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#65 Post by Floyd Lewellyn »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Operation Silent Night is one of my all time favorites and I actually remember seeing it when it first aired. I just love everything about it, from the lighthearted silly interactions with the characters, to the scenes that illustrate their true camaraderie, to the respect they show for the Japanese pilot. The ending with the guys singing gives me goose bumps and brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it, and that has been many, many times. Were there "technical" errors? Yes, I suppose so, but while I'm watching I don't look for that. I just watch the episode for the sheer enjoyment...and actually that's the way I view the entire series.

I enjoy this episode as well. I like the scene where Higgins is writing a make-shift will to set sail in the glass bottle he found while scavenging about the island. He is thoughtful enough to bequeath some of his possessions to Magnum but then realizes that they're both going to die on the island and so he crosses Magnum out and leaves the items to Zeus and Apollo instead.
MAGNUM: "Your'e the guy who caused my accident!!...."

EZiller
Captain

#66 Post by EZiller »

An enjoyable episode that shows the camaraderie that has now grown between TM, TC, Rick and Higgins. Speaking of Higgy, he is the only one who is totally thrilled about the possible notion of this turning into a possible survival test, the only regret being that the "lads" couldn't be stranded with them. My only complaint is the PC pandering by mentioning the totally contrived holiday of Kwanzaa as being something comparable to TC as Christmas is to everyone else.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#67 Post by marlboro »

EZiller wrote:My only complaint is the PC pandering by mentioning the totally contrived holiday of Kwanzaa as being something comparable to TC as Christmas is to everyone else.
Yeah, that bit was handled very poorly. It sounded like T.C. was reading the definition of Kwanzaa out of an Encyclopedia Britannica. There had to be a more casual way of writing/delivering that info.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#68 Post by Milton Collins »

Seaver41 wrote:
Yes, a lot of the episode was contrived to deliver the main points they wanted, but all in all it works. The naval scenes on board were about the worst I've ever seen anywhere. It looked like they converted a classroom or something similar. Horribly written/directed/edited/lighted scenes with Ed Lauter. Quite honestly, the effect would've been more dramatic had they cut those scenes out altogether and just had that initial flare as any indication to not only the characters but the viewers as well that there was indeed imminent danger.
Great comment! For a show that did a great job overall of portraying the military in a realistic manner this one was awful! The overzealous (and borderline psychotic commander) who was ready to blow up innocent civilians at the end? Yeah right, wouldn't happen. Now to the good part, this was a very fun episode dominated by the four main characters which I loved! When They are in the chopper at the beginning and Magnum refers to Rick as "tiny Tim" I completely cracked up laughing lol. Really, Rick was ridiculous the whole episode (a Nam vet scared of the woods lol) but it made for a fun out of character episode for him. Between the quicksand, the fear of pirates, and the bug in his hair I about died laughing. Higgins was funny too and not just the failed boat scene (which was hilarious!) I liked how he immediately was ok with being stranded and viewed it as an adventure. His attitude reminded me of the Kona Winds when he is consistently trying to overcome the storm and is overly dramatic about doing so. That was a cool touch to have the TC Higgins sit down where they did show a mutual respect and admiration for each other. I don't know why but I feel like Higgins had more respect for TC than for Rick? Maybe it was because he and Rick worked together at the club but just a feeling I got. Anyway this is a really fun episode especially around Christmas! I consider this and Thank Goodness for Little Girls and Big Ones Too to be the Christmas episodes and Home From the Sea to be the 4th of July episode but can't think offhand of any other holiday episodes? (Oops of course my fav all time Death and Taxes was also on July 4th) They should ha e done a Halloween creepy/scary episode, that would have been awesome! The new Hawaii Five 0 has done those and they have been VERY good!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by KingKC »

I remember this one fairly well but I don't remember them singing at the end. I think this episode magnified the flaws of everyone but maybe TM. TC has anger management issues, Rick is super flaky and Higgins is the ultimate anal retentive, optimistic, overgrown boy scout. I don't put it up in my top anything but still enjoyed it moderately.

KingKC

Algernon Farnsworth
Lieutenant Commander

#70 Post by Algernon Farnsworth »

Nice label design on the "Milford" bourbon:

Did TC have the empty bottle in his helicopter, or did they find it on the island? Same color scheme. :)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by K Hale »

I enjoy this one. Nice to see the guys out on a harmless adventure together. Well, except for the Navy ship, but let's just not count that, haha.

I have to admit when they find the plane and then start cutting it up to make a boat, I cringed. The Japanese plane that scouted Pearl Harbor? That should have been in a museum. Of course the cut-up part didn't get very far off the beach, so I suppose a salvage crew could have been dispatched to the island to retrieve it all... :idea:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

jeffran
Captain

#72 Post by jeffran »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Operation Silent Night is one of my all time favorites and I actually remember seeing it when it first aired. I just love everything about it, from the lighthearted silly interactions with the characters, to the scenes that illustrate their true camaraderie, to the respect they show for the Japanese pilot. The ending with the guys singing gives me goose bumps and brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it, and that has been many, many times. Were there "technical" errors? Yes, I suppose so, but while I'm watching I don't look for that. I just watch the episode for the sheer enjoyment...and actually that's the way I view the entire series.
Well said, and I agree. This is such a great episode that exemplifies the characters and their relationships that I don't care at all about the technical problems. I just watched this one tonight, and gave it a 10 - the first since "Black and White."

A humorous highlight - Rick's funeral. Another highlight is Higgins' speech about "forgotten battles, sometimes forgotten wars".

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by K Hale »

jeffran wrote:
Well said, and I agree. This is such a great episode that exemplifies the characters and their relationships that I don't care at all about the technical problems. I just watched this one tonight, and gave it a 10 - the first since "Black and White."

A humorous highlight - Rick's funeral. Another highlight is Higgins' speech about "forgotten battles, sometimes forgotten wars".
That is what Burma is often called, the Forgotten War. Most of the media/public attention of the time was focused on Europe and the American advance across the Pacific. Still is, really. I applaud MPI for making Higgins a Burma veteran.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by K Hale »

OK so I know this ep is known for its technical issues, and I still love it. But I had a thought. At the start, TC says he is dropping the other guys off on various islands (Magnum is going to the Big Island, Higgins to Molokai and I forget where Rick was going) and then he's flying to New Orleans. So how were the other three planning on returning to Oahu? :?:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#75 Post by K Hale »

wilko wrote:Here's another flub.

When Magnum, TC and Rick are looking for Higgins they come across what appears to be "peg leg" tracks (a footprint of his left shoe and a circular impression where the fight foot should be) which they discover to have been made by Higgins walking with a stick in his right hand and dragging palm fronds in his left hand.

This is impossible. If Higgins is dragging the palm fronds in his left hand then the fronds would erase his left shoe prints and not his right shoe print. Conversely if Higgins was dragging the palm fronds with his right hand then he would have to hold the stick in his left hand which would leave the bizzare track of a left shoe print and a circular impression to the outside of that.
I figured this out. He had the stick and the palm fronds in his right hand. It is only later that the guys see him with the stick in his right hand and the palm fronds in his left.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!