3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 80

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Jororo Farewell (4.11)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Jororo Farewell (4.11). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 1/5/1984
The Little League International Goodwill Tournament becomes a site of terror for the young Crown Prince of Jororo, who plays center field for the visiting team. Magnum befriends the young boy and puts his own life on the line when he finds out there is a royal assassination plot in play.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by lutherhgillis »

Flub: Notice when Magnum and Rick are watching the game sitting on the grass just after the boys get into a fight at 2nd base. Rick is writing something on paper and Magnum gets on his case about gambling on a child's baseball game. Rick then apparently reveals that he is wrinting a recipe for chicken marsala to send to his mother. Rick's mother and father are both dead as we learned in Distant Relative which was shown several weeks before this episode. I believe this was a little bit sloppy. The show typically had great continuity.

Luther H Gillis

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

This one's below average for me, but still quite enjoyable. John Saxon seemed under utilized. The guy was in Enter the Dragon. They missed a great opportunity to have a classic brawl involving Saxon, Selleck & Mosley! ;)

Ok, another oceanfront ballfield ID needed...

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Sam »

James,

It has been a few years since I've seen the episode but I believe it was filmed at Kawaikui Beach Park.I remember Koko head in the background.

Number 40.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... l%26sa%3DG

Go to Google map and enter.
kawaikui beach park

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#6 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:This one's below average for me, but still quite enjoyable.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason this is one of my favorite episodes of season 4. It must be the baseball theme. This episode does feature (in my opinion) one of the worst performances by a non-guest star. The line delivered by the arcade manager when Magnum and others went looking for Danny was terrible. It was almost embarrassing to watch. I don't know if it was the guy's voice or what, but it was awful.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Sam »

James,
OOPS...Make that Kuliouou Beach Park.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#8 Post by rubber chicken »

Yeah, Kuliouou Beach Park. Good find Sam! Check out this fantastic quicktime virtual reality panorama (from this page).

Rick could have walked over from his place. :wink:

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#9 Post by rubber chicken »

To add: here's the other baseball field from the beginning of the show which is supposed to be in the "Jororo Islands." Lanakila District Park.

And here's where young Danny Linn is caught by his security after climbing the fence at the above baseball field. Can't quite place it exactly but it's on Sing Loy Lane which is a small street, as you can see, with the freeway in the background. So they actually have Danny run in the right direction from the ballpark to get where he's caught a few blocks away, even though it's not seen in the episode.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:Check out this fantastic quicktime virtual reality panorama (from this page).
Cool, that's definitely it! The surrounding buildings look exactly the same as they did 25 years ago! What a beautiful little park that is. On the way over to Waimanalo, I'll be sure to stop off there for a quick visit. Looks like a great spot for a Frisbee toss! ;)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Sam »

Hey thanks RC,

I had that site bookmarked some years ago but lost it,so thanks again.

The park was close to Rick's place,somehow I don't think he was much of a walker. :lol:

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Comment on Note 4 of the episode guide:

The elevated commuter railway in Chicago is known as the "El" (short for elevated) rather than the "L".

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

You mean Rick wasn't playing stickball under the "L", on top of the "K", next to the "M"? ;)

The "L".... hehe, not sure why I referenced it like that in the episode guide. In any event, it's been corrected. Thanks.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

lutherhgillis wrote:Flub: Rick then apparently reveals that he is writing a recipe for chicken marsala to send to his mother. Rick's mother and father are both dead as we learned in Distant Relative....
As I recall, Rick was orphaned at a fairly young age, and then raised by Ice Pick. Mightn't he refer to Mrs. Pick as his "mother"? (If so, the Picks must be divorced now, if she's still in Chicago.)

James J. Walters wrote:The "L".... hehe, not sure why I referenced it like that in the episode guide. In any event, it's been corrected. Thanks.
We just watched this episode, and the mystery may be solved -- the subtitles have Rick saying that he was "playing stickball under the 'L'," just as you used to have it.
Carol

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by lutherhgillis »

More on the baseball glove used by Magnum... When Magnum pulls into the estate near the beginning of the epi, he stops to talk to Danny. Danny notices Mag's glove and says it is an Al Kaline like his. Neither glove is an Al Kaline model since they were only made by Wilson. Magnum's glove is a Rawlings and I'm not sure about Danny's but its not a Wilson.

Magnum's glove in this episode appears to be the same one from Squeeze Play.