Total votes: 80

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#31 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Thanks Sam

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

A bit late with today’s first review; I’ve been watching about Michael Jackson on the TV. I guess it’s really one of those days where you’ll remember where you were when you heard.

[rating=9.0]

Magnum befriends the 12-year-old Crown Prince of Jororo, who is staying on the Estate while in Hawaii to play a Little Leaguers baseball game. But the Prince is under tight security due to the terrorists out to kill him. Not a classic, but likeable in its own way…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

‘Jororo Farewell’ is one of those ‘Magnum, p.i.’ episode that is far from standing out in one of my all-time favourite stories, but is fairly likeable and enjoyable in it’s own way.

The episode is a semi-sequel to the second season episode ‘The Jororo Kill’; “semi-sequel” in that it makes several references to the events of that story, and marks the return of Russler (although now played by John Saxon), but doesn’t rely on having to have seen that episode to understand this story.

I can’t quite put my finger on what I like about this episode – it’s certainly not perfect, but I did find myself warming to it.
I think a lot of the charm is down to young Wesley Ogata as the Prince, Danny. For a child actor, I found he made the character believable and, for the most part, sympathetic. Strangely, for such a believable child actor, Ogata only has one other credited TV appearance – a very brief role in MPI’s second season feature-length / two-part ‘Memories Are Forever’.

Talking of child actors, I also like Marcus Shimomi as Benny, a member of T.C.’s baseball team. Again, Shimomi plays the part well (and this is coming from someone who is often irritated by terrible child actors). I particularly like the scene where T.C. is driving him around to deliver newspapers.

It is odd that neither Ogata nor Shimomi are listed until the end credits, despite both playing large parts in the story. Presumably the credits department didn’t feel that child performers didn’t deserve high billing!

Anyway, the story itself is a reasonable one, with some nice character moments. The only thing I really have issue with is the final act, where the plot rather loses its way and isn’t sure where to go. The ending is both very rushed, and strange, and lets the rest of the story down.
I really wanted to see what happened to Danny – did he agree to go back home? – but after the impressive but shoehorned in scene of Magnum playing chicken with the plane, we learn awkwardly that Danny “jumped out the rear cargo door before they took off”, and Magnum deciding he needs a spanking! The story really needed a scene after this to round things off better.

…And that is my only gripe with this otherwise reasonable instalment. It isn’t one of the best of the season, but it does have it’s own charm.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* On the DVD version of this episode, the commercial break before the final act is abridged.

* On the subject of Rick mentioning his mother, who has been mentioned in other episodes to be dead, maybe it could be read this way: Magnum thinks Rick is running a book on the baseball game. Rick says the first thing that comes into his head (about a recipe for his mother) to try and cover up that he IS running a book! Just a thought.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#33 Post by J.J. Walters »

Watched this one recently after not having seen it in quite a well. As with most episodes that I'm slightly cold on, it's better than I remembered it. Although, it would have been even better if John Saxon had laid down some karate moves! ;)

I totally forgot about that great climax involving Magnum/Ferrari and a cargo plane! What a great shot that was of the plane taking off just in front of them!

:shock:

And I loved that nostalgic closeup of the Robotron: 2084 arcade game. That used to be one of my favorites as a young lad. An incredibly fast, intense game with duel joysticks. :)

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Okay...the first time I ever saw the title of this one, I was hoping it was maybe going to be sort of a sequel to season 2's "Jororo Kill" (with Tyne Daly returning)--which is one of my all-time favorite episodes!

However, this one really had absolutely nothing to do with the first "Jororo" episode. :? It was okay, though. The action was decent, and I was somewhat interested in finding out who was the one in on the threats/kidnappings of the boy prince. I actually did think it was either John Saxon's character, or that goofy teacher woman...but the prince's softball coach was a good choice too.

I like this one well enough, with the action and Magnum helping the prince. I rated it "pretty good".
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#35 Post by miltontheripper »

This ones decent but nothing special. As always I like the baseball theme. I always enjoy the fact that TC and TM volunteer to help kids, makes both characters even more likeable like their just big kids. I recently watched Enter the Dragon and am a John Saxson fan and agree with an earlier post that he should have had more facetime, especially if it had been a fight! Thought the spanking ending was a bit ridiculous also! Overall decent episode that's worth watching.

jimhalinda
Lieutenant

#36 Post by jimhalinda »

I just watched this one today, and regarding the 'flub' with Magnum chambering a round and then tucking his .45 into the back of his jeans, I noticed that he did flip the safety on before tucking it in.

I'm no firearms expert, but I believe that is a pretty standard practice for carrying a single-action automatic, known as "cocked and locked".

Regards,

Jim
"It will only distress you to continue this conversation" - Jonathan Quayle Higgins III

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by MaiTaiMan »

jimhalinda wrote:I just watched this one today, and regarding the 'flub' with Magnum chambering a round and then tucking his .45 into the back of his jeans, I noticed that he did flip the safety on before tucking it in.

I'm no firearms expert, but I believe that is a pretty standard practice for carrying a single-action automatic, known as "cocked and locked".

Regards,

Jim
Yeah...I don't really like to go out of my way to look for or try to find flubs. It sort of ruins the episode for me. :? Some so-called "flubs", like the one you referred back to, are pretty reaching...and you have to ask "Is this really a true flub--or is this actually possible or something some people actually do?" :wink:

I just watch the episode, and go with it! It makes it a heck of a lot more fun and entertaining. :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Bes
Commander

#38 Post by Bes »

This episode didn't work at all for me. The worst of series 4?

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#39 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

J.J. Walters wrote:And I loved that nostalgic closeup of the Robotron: 2084 arcade game. That used to be one of my favorites as a young lad. An incredibly fast, intense game with duel joysticks. :)

Two gentlemen and their duel joysticks.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Seaver41 »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I believe it is a Tigers V. Mariners game instead of the twins. You will notice this a lot on the screen. TM says the Tigers are playing Team A and it is Team B on the tube. This is a small attention to detail they could've corrected. I think this is a fulb you would've noticed watching the episodes originally.
Toronto Blue Jays. And didn't TC make reference to the Yankees about the same footage?

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Seaver41 »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Steve wrote:By the way, stickball is a New York game, we play Baseball here in the Windy City.
No Stickball in Chi-Town, huh? Learn something new every day. ;)
N1095A wrote:James, Take a look in the first shot at where TM's finger is when he's racking the slide. I guess it's okay, because you can see into the ejection port right down to the top of the empty magazine. There are clearly no bullets in the gun. Still, poor "gunmanship" all around.
Yeah, but we're not supposed to notice that part (else, why would he chamber a round with no bullets?). No, he chambers a round, sticks it in the back of his jeans, and then walks over to a little league baseball game(!).
Stickball is an urban game usually played in the streets or some parking lot. Broomstick and a handball......a tennis ball will suffice. I'm from NY, so I can't speak for Chicago...but it usually is done when space and grass are limited or don't exist.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Seaver41 »

that was a pretty brutal episode. Poor John Saxon comes off as a buffoon. The ending would never fly today with Magnum delivering an Ivan-esque spank. Might be the last time I watch this one.

snp389
Captain

#43 Post by snp389 »

Not a bad episode I reckon. The kid, Danny gets up my nose. Spoilt little s**t. He deserved the smack on the arse, hahahaha.

Tom Selleck's weapon handling in MPI sometimes surprises me. As a retired Australian Army Infantry Soldier, I served most of my career as a Sniper, therefore I have a fair knowledge of correct and safe weapon handling.
When cycling the action of any weapon system, the user must NEVER place his finger on the trigger. I have read that Selleck served as a soldier in the 160th Infantry Regiment of the California Army National Guard and his unit was activated for the Watts Riots in Los Angeles. His training would have ensured proper weapon handling.
I have served alongside a lot of US Military units, including USMC, and U.S. Army on Exercises and Operations in Afghanistan and East Timor. The U.S. Forces have excellent training on par with the Australian Defence Force, and we always had a great and proud rapport and espirit de corps between us Aussies and the Yanks ever since WW1.

I know it's a TV show, and sometimes things get overlooked during the pressure/deadlines from producers etc, however all Military Training works on the principle of; or a similar type of accronym - EDIP:
EPLANATION
DEMONSTRATION
IMITATION
PRACTICE
Weapon practice drills or TOET's (Test Of Elementary Training) is done so as the Soldier/Marine/Sailor/Operator develops 'muscle memory' using Gross Motor Skills initially until the reaction is subconciously instantanious and then is further enhanced at higher Tier2/Tier1 Operators/Skill Sets to Fine Motor Skills where the End State is extremely fluid movement/reaction - the old line which has been Hollywoodized - "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"
Anyway, I have noticed that Selleck, in his Awesome Jesse Stone TV movies, has developed a very profficient and professional standard of pistol drills. I dare say, as his personal involvement with the U.S. NRA, his outdoorsman interests have had a great influence on his weapon handling ability.

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Jororo Farewell (4.11)

#44 Post by .45caliber »

Cool episode, I liked the two dynamics of the kids Danny and Benny, one was rich and important and the other poor and felt insignificant and they both wanted to be someone other than themselves. I felt the same at that age. It was cool how Magnum and TC mentored them and told them to be happy with who they were. Love all the baseball and softball episodes too. As Higgins says, good show.

Sir Fearing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Jororo Farewell (4.11)

#45 Post by Sir Fearing »

I think I found a flub: While delivering the newspapers T.C. stops the car to talk to Benny. First we see a hedge behind Benny. Then the camera faces T.C., he is definitely not driving but a few seconds later there is a house behind Benny.
Half a world removed from England