3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 80

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#51 Post by Danny Lin »

miltontheripper wrote:This ones decent but nothing special. As always I like the baseball theme. I always enjoy the fact that TC and TM volunteer to help kids, makes both characters even more likeable like their just big kids. I recently watched Enter the Dragon and am a John Saxson fan and agree with an earlier post that he should have had more facetime, especially if it had been a fight! Thought the spanking ending was a bit ridiculous also! Overall decent episode that's worth watching.
Seaver41 wrote:that was a pretty brutal episode. Poor John Saxon comes off as a buffoon. The ending would never fly today with Magnum delivering an Ivan-esque spank. Might be the last time I watch this one.

I understand the confusion about Magnum spanking me very well. Magnum wouldn´t be Magnum if he actually had done so:

In fact he certainly never did!! But the spectators can´t know.

What really happened is that Magnum was kidding me as a little punishment for my ways. He made me believe that he would spank me but in the very last moment he took all the power out of his slap and only very gently smacked my butt. He lifted me up, messed up my hair and told me I was the worst. Then he gave me a real big hug.

True is that we stayed in contact through all the years since then and even became great friends. Magnum continued to be my mentor and that way he has his merits in making Jororo a better place after I took over from my dad.

Magnum still comes over to my palace now and then and we spend some time together. It is always so much fun!

Why the real development of the story wasn´t told is something that we never really could find out for sure. But who cares... Important is only that you know the truth now.

Greetings,
Danny Lin
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Jororo Farewell (4.11)

#52 Post by K Hale »

In this episode, Higgins is reading an excerpt from his memoirs to the lads. He says, "After 39 days of being surrounded and starved out by the hideously painted cannibals, our major finally agreed to surrender. The seven of us that were left were taken to the encampment of their leader, who was quite insistent that we all be cooked to a slow boil. However, our major, Lord Tewksbury, who also happened to be the ninth Earl of Whitney, protested this summary simmering and challenged the cannibal king to a fight to the death. The prize being, if he won, our freedom. Fortunately, the king was convinced that a battle between two soldiers of royal blood would be a true test of the superiority of our respective races. As the punji sticks were sharpened and honed to a fine point, the Major and the King readied themselves for the fight."

At which point Magnum interrupts. After some back and forth dialogue, Magnum says, "This Major Tewksberg -- did he really fight a duel with cannibals with punji sticks?" Higgins corrects the major's name, and then Magnum says, "It's just that they don't have punji sticks in Africa."

I found this a strange thing for Magnum to say, since nowhere in Higgins' monologue does he include the location where this event took place.

Wikipedia says, "The term first appeared in the English language in the 1870s, after the British Indian Army encountered the sticks in their border conflicts against the Kachins of north east Burma (and it is from their language that term is derived)." And we know Higgins served in Burma.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

K Hale wrote:In this episode, Higgins is reading an excerpt from his memoirs to the lads. He says, "After 39 days of being surrounded and starved out by the hideously painted cannibals, our major finally agreed to surrender. The seven of us that were left were taken to the encampment of their leader, who was quite insistent that we all be cooked to a slow boil. However, our major, Lord Tewksbury, who also happened to be the ninth Earl of Whitney, protested this summary simmering and challenged the cannibal king to a fight to the death. The prize being, if he won, our freedom. Fortunately, the king was convinced that a battle between two soldiers of royal blood would be a true test of the superiority of our respective races. As the punji sticks were sharpened and honed to a fine point, the Major and the King readied themselves for the fight."

At which point Magnum interrupts. After some back and forth dialogue, Magnum says, "This Major Tewksberg -- did he really fight a duel with cannibals with punji sticks?" Higgins corrects the major's name, and then Magnum says, "It's just that they don't have punji sticks in Africa."

I found this a strange thing for Magnum to say, since nowhere in Higgins' monologue does he include the location where this event took place.

Wikipedia says, "The term first appeared in the English language in the 1870s, after the British Indian Army encountered the sticks in their border conflicts against the Kachins of north east Burma (and it is from their language that term is derived)." And we know Higgins served in Burma.
Hi K Hale,
The scene is set up such that we jump in while Higgins is in the process of reading his memoirs aloud to the lads, so he would have already stated the location. The first time we see TM in the scene, he's leaning against the door frame, hands in pockets, shaking his head, indicating that he's been there for some time so he probably heard Higgins read that it took place in Africa.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by K Hale »

That could be assumed, but we must consider that it would mean Higgins was lying, which I don't believe. Combined with the fact that punji sticks are native to where Higgins did serve, my take on it is that Magnum heard "cannibals" and jumped to an interesting conclusion.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

K Hale wrote:That could be assumed, but we must consider that it would mean Higgins was lying, which I don't believe. Combined with the fact that punji sticks are native to where Higgins did serve, my take on it is that Magnum heard "cannibals" and jumped to an interesting conclusion.
Well, Higgins has been known to "embellish" his memoirs quite a bit and of course that's the point of the scene... it was a hilarious excerpt! :lol:

However that said, I understand now that you weren't actually asking a question in your original post, my bad.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by K Hale »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
K Hale wrote:That could be assumed, but we must consider that it would mean Higgins was lying, which I don't believe. Combined with the fact that punji sticks are native to where Higgins did serve, my take on it is that Magnum heard "cannibals" and jumped to an interesting conclusion.
Well, Higgins has been known to "embellish" his memoirs quite a bit and of course that's the point of the scene... it was a hilarious excerpt! :lol:

However that said, I understand now that you weren't actually asking a question in your original post, my bad.
It was a rhetorical question, to which I had already deduced an answer that made sense.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

K Hale wrote: It was a rhetorical question, to which I had already deduced an answer that made sense.
Sorry K Hale but I'm a bit confused... what exactly was the answer that made sense to you? You said TM "jumped to an interesting conclusion" about the cannibalism taking place in Africa. I highly doubt the writers had TM jump to that conclusion... that just isn't one of his character traits. He was married to a Vietnamese woman, TC is one of his best friends, he was in love with Linda Lee Ellison, etc.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Sam »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
K Hale wrote: It was a rhetorical question, to which I had already deduced an answer that made sense.
Sorry K Hale but I'm a bit confused... what exactly was the answer that made sense to you? You said TM "jumped to an interesting conclusion" about the cannibalism taking place in Africa. I highly doubt the writers had TM jump to that conclusion... that just isn't one of his character traits. He was married to a Vietnamese woman, TC is one of his best friends, he was in love with Linda Lee Ellison, etc.
Yeah. I don't get that it's just a TV show seems so that someone's trying to be offended. I'll leave it there before going to get political

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by K Hale »

I am neither offended nor trying to be. I don't take bait, either. :)

OK, admittedly I was slightly put out that anyone would think Higgins is a liar... :wink:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by K Hale »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
This has been edited and added to since I saw it this morning, so I will answer. The conclusion I drew is the one I referenced above, that TM knows less about the world than Higgins. He was obviously thinking to catch Higgins in a lie, and it didn't work if you look up punji sticks. It's reminiscent of the time he said he was in London "a few times" and thought the Strand was a movie theater. He's trying to look clever. Instead it's just amusing.

Sorry if anyone was offended. I love Thomas but he doesn't know everything.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

K Hale wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
This has been edited and added to since I saw it this morning, so I will answer. The conclusion I drew is the one I referenced above, that TM knows less about the world than Higgins. He was obviously thinking to catch Higgins in a lie, and it didn't work if you look up punji sticks. It's reminiscent of the time he said he was in London "a few times" and thought the Strand was a movie theater. He's trying to look clever. Instead it's just amusing.

Sorry if anyone was offended. I love Thomas but he doesn't know everything.
:lol: Nice try.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by K Hale »

Like I said, I don't take bait.

I realize it's the thing nowadays to try to make everything about race, however my mission in life is to make everything about Higgins. :wink: I am a little surprised that this is where everyone's mind went but I put it down to the climate we're having to live in. Anything can be twisted in any direction if one's agenda is attractive enough, but Occam's Razor indicates Higgins was writing about Burma.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Laohu »

Not a bad episode Magnum is always better when it sticks to small stories and does not spread itself to thin . I would have liked to see them stay away from the automatic weapons fire when they tried to abduct Danny it seemed unnecessary to the story and a bit over the top to me .

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by ENSHealy »

K Hale wrote:Occam's Razor indicates Higgins was writing about Burma.
Perhaps Thomas is confusing events and stories he heard on Frenchman's Island, one episode ago, when, shortly after Rick mentions cannibals and says that Higgins was probably boiling in a pot, they find Higgins and Higgins asks them, "Must the 3 of you act like cannibals?" Higgins then begins to recount the time he was stranded on an island off the north coast of Africa.

So maybe cannibals and Africa are still all mixed up in Thomas' mind. It surely can't help that he recently has taken machine gun fire from the back of a produce truck and was so at wit's end about Danny's troubles that he was on his way to procure advice from Higgins.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote:
K Hale wrote:Occam's Razor indicates Higgins was writing about Burma.
Perhaps Thomas is confusing events and stories he heard on Frenchman's Island, one episode ago, when, shortly after Rick mentions cannibals and says that Higgins was probably boiling in a pot, they find Higgins and Higgins asks them, "Must the 3 of you act like cannibals?" Higgins then begins to recount the time he was stranded on an island off the north coast of Africa.

So maybe cannibals and Africa are still all mixed up in Thomas' mind. It surely can't help that he recently has taken machine gun fire from the back of a produce truck and was so at wit's end about Danny's troubles that he was on his way to procure advice from Higgins.
This is the most sensible thing I’ve seen today. Explains everything.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!