3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 80

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#46 Post by MaximRecoil »

jimhalinda wrote:I just watched this one today, and regarding the 'flub' with Magnum chambering a round and then tucking his .45 into the back of his jeans, I noticed that he did flip the safety on before tucking it in.

I'm no firearms expert, but I believe that is a pretty standard practice for carrying a single-action automatic, known as "cocked and locked".

Regards,

Jim
That's correct. "Condition 1", AKA: "cocked & locked", is widely regarded as the best way to carry a 1911-type pistol or any other pistol which has a well-designed thumb-safety, which includes most single-action autos and some double-action autos (e.g., CZ-75). However, Selleck having his finger on the trigger while racking the slide and while putting the gun in his waist band was very bad form. Generally accepted firearms safety rules instruct you to keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target.
N1095A wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:Did anybody else notice that Magnum chambers a round in his .45 and then sticks it in the back part of his jeans, all while sitting in the Ferrari? I'm no expert in handguns, but this surely can't be a safe way to handle a gun. And it would be the absolute worst place to have a gun accidentally go off, right into your derriere!

:shock:

So this episode feature not one, but two shocking flubs involving Magnum and firearms - the one above and the one mentioned earlier where he loads an Uzi clip with his finger on the trigger, while riding in the chopper!
James, Take a look in the first shot at where TM's finger is when he's racking the slide. I guess it's okay, because you can see into the ejection port right down to the top of the empty magazine. There are clearly no bullets in the gun. Still, poor "gunmanship" all around. This is one of my pet peeves about the show. You'd think these guys being "professionals" would know better.
The magazine isn't empty. It is loaded with 9mm Luger dummy cartridges with FMJ bullets (not to be confused with blank cartridges). You can see this clearly when he removes and reinserts the magazine ...

... and you can also see a small section of the rear of the cartridge in the lower right-hand corner of the ejection port, when he racks the slide:

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re: Jororo Farewell (4.11)

#47 Post by Danny Lin »

Some flubs (of which one is a double flub) I came across:

During the practise game between Jororo and TC´s team, when Rick tells Thomas about playing stickball in Chicago under the El, Jororos final move in the game is shown. After the ball was hit by the player, a cut is made and the ball is shown travelling through the sky. In that scene the sky that has been all cloudy until then suddenly changes to all clear blue, as long as the ball is shown travelling. Directly afterwards the sky is back to all cloudy again.

What makes this ball-in-the-sky-scene a double flub is that the exact same location at which the ball is going through the sky is already used in the beginning of the episode to shoot a scene that is supposed to take place in Jororo: During the game between Jororo and Taiwan a similar scene (or the same scene, shot with another camera from a slightly different angle) showing a ball travelling through the sky is shown. In both scenes (Jororo and Hawaii), when the camera follows the ball down, the exact same three different types of masts come into sight.

The fact that Thomas states that it is nice to see the kids playing their ball game out in the sun when he sits down next to Rick although the sky is all cloudy and no sun can be seen, I wouldn´t consider a flub. Rather more "poetic licence".

But here´s another one: The stunt guy acting as Benny when he rides Agathas polo pony from the estate wears a blue and white striped shirt. When Benny is stopped by T.C. and Thomas by helicopter the next day the stunt person acting as Benny wears another kind of blue and white coloured shirt (and so does Benny himself).
Last edited by Danny Lin on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#48 Post by Danny Lin »

Jay-Firestorm wrote: ...
* On the subject of Rick mentioning his mother, who has been mentioned in other episodes to be dead, maybe it could be read this way: Magnum thinks Rick is running a book on the baseball game. Rick says the first thing that comes into his head (about a recipe for his mother) to try and cover up that he IS running a book! Just a thought.
The scene can hardly be read this way because Rick hands over the paper in his hand to Thomas to prove that it in fact is not part of a book but a recipe. Thomas as well takes a close look to what´s written on the paper handed over to him.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#49 Post by Danny Lin »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Italian Ice wrote:Noticed 3 minor flubs in this one.

Danny says he jumped out of the plane before it took off. How did he escape? He wasn't seen jumping out while TM was in front of the plane. The kidnappers probably wouldn't have even started the plane without Danny on it....

I wouldn't classify these as flubs:

3) Maybe Danny simply exited the plane "off camera", before TM enters?

For every ones information:

That´s exactly what happened.

I exited the plane shortly before Magnum arrived but as everyone else I had a hell of a time watching him trying to stop the machine. :P :twisted: :twisted: :P :P :P :P

Yours,
Danny Lin
Last edited by Danny Lin on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#50 Post by Danny Lin »

lutherhgillis wrote:Flub: Notice when Magnum and Rick are watching the game sitting on the grass just after the boys get into a fight at 2nd base. Rick is writing something on paper and Magnum gets on his case about gambling on a child's baseball game. Rick then apparently reveals that he is wrinting a recipe for chicken marsala to send to his mother. Rick's mother and father are both dead as we learned in Distant Relative which was shown several weeks before this episode. I believe this was a little bit sloppy. The show typically had great continuity.

Luther H Gillis
Just to get the facts straight here:

It´s a recipe for veal marsala, not chicken marsala.

:wink:

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#51 Post by Danny Lin »

miltontheripper wrote:This ones decent but nothing special. As always I like the baseball theme. I always enjoy the fact that TC and TM volunteer to help kids, makes both characters even more likeable like their just big kids. I recently watched Enter the Dragon and am a John Saxson fan and agree with an earlier post that he should have had more facetime, especially if it had been a fight! Thought the spanking ending was a bit ridiculous also! Overall decent episode that's worth watching.
Seaver41 wrote:that was a pretty brutal episode. Poor John Saxon comes off as a buffoon. The ending would never fly today with Magnum delivering an Ivan-esque spank. Might be the last time I watch this one.

I understand the confusion about Magnum spanking me very well. Magnum wouldn´t be Magnum if he actually had done so:

In fact he certainly never did!! But the spectators can´t know.

What really happened is that Magnum was kidding me as a little punishment for my ways. He made me believe that he would spank me but in the very last moment he took all the power out of his slap and only very gently smacked my butt. He lifted me up, messed up my hair and told me I was the worst. Then he gave me a real big hug.

True is that we stayed in contact through all the years since then and even became great friends. Magnum continued to be my mentor and that way he has his merits in making Jororo a better place after I took over from my dad.

Magnum still comes over to my palace now and then and we spend some time together. It is always so much fun!

Why the real development of the story wasn´t told is something that we never really could find out for sure. But who cares... Important is only that you know the truth now.

Greetings,
Danny Lin

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by K Hale »

In this episode, Higgins is reading an excerpt from his memoirs to the lads. He says, "After 39 days of being surrounded and starved out by the hideously painted cannibals, our major finally agreed to surrender. The seven of us that were left were taken to the encampment of their leader, who was quite insistent that we all be cooked to a slow boil. However, our major, Lord Tewksbury, who also happened to be the ninth Earl of Whitney, protested this summary simmering and challenged the cannibal king to a fight to the death. The prize being, if he won, our freedom. Fortunately, the king was convinced that a battle between two soldiers of royal blood would be a true test of the superiority of our respective races. As the punji sticks were sharpened and honed to a fine point, the Major and the King readied themselves for the fight."

At which point Magnum interrupts. After some back and forth dialogue, Magnum says, "This Major Tewksberg -- did he really fight a duel with cannibals with punji sticks?" Higgins corrects the major's name, and then Magnum says, "It's just that they don't have punji sticks in Africa."

I found this a strange thing for Magnum to say, since nowhere in Higgins' monologue does he include the location where this event took place.

Wikipedia says, "The term first appeared in the English language in the 1870s, after the British Indian Army encountered the sticks in their border conflicts against the Kachins of north east Burma (and it is from their language that term is derived)." And we know Higgins served in Burma.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

K Hale wrote:In this episode, Higgins is reading an excerpt from his memoirs to the lads. He says, "After 39 days of being surrounded and starved out by the hideously painted cannibals, our major finally agreed to surrender. The seven of us that were left were taken to the encampment of their leader, who was quite insistent that we all be cooked to a slow boil. However, our major, Lord Tewksbury, who also happened to be the ninth Earl of Whitney, protested this summary simmering and challenged the cannibal king to a fight to the death. The prize being, if he won, our freedom. Fortunately, the king was convinced that a battle between two soldiers of royal blood would be a true test of the superiority of our respective races. As the punji sticks were sharpened and honed to a fine point, the Major and the King readied themselves for the fight."

At which point Magnum interrupts. After some back and forth dialogue, Magnum says, "This Major Tewksberg -- did he really fight a duel with cannibals with punji sticks?" Higgins corrects the major's name, and then Magnum says, "It's just that they don't have punji sticks in Africa."

I found this a strange thing for Magnum to say, since nowhere in Higgins' monologue does he include the location where this event took place.

Wikipedia says, "The term first appeared in the English language in the 1870s, after the British Indian Army encountered the sticks in their border conflicts against the Kachins of north east Burma (and it is from their language that term is derived)." And we know Higgins served in Burma.
Hi K Hale,
The scene is set up such that we jump in while Higgins is in the process of reading his memoirs aloud to the lads, so he would have already stated the location. The first time we see TM in the scene, he's leaning against the door frame, hands in pockets, shaking his head, indicating that he's been there for some time so he probably heard Higgins read that it took place in Africa.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by K Hale »

That could be assumed, but we must consider that it would mean Higgins was lying, which I don't believe. Combined with the fact that punji sticks are native to where Higgins did serve, my take on it is that Magnum heard "cannibals" and jumped to an interesting conclusion.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

K Hale wrote:That could be assumed, but we must consider that it would mean Higgins was lying, which I don't believe. Combined with the fact that punji sticks are native to where Higgins did serve, my take on it is that Magnum heard "cannibals" and jumped to an interesting conclusion.
Well, Higgins has been known to "embellish" his memoirs quite a bit and of course that's the point of the scene... it was a hilarious excerpt! :lol:

However that said, I understand now that you weren't actually asking a question in your original post, my bad.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by K Hale »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
K Hale wrote:That could be assumed, but we must consider that it would mean Higgins was lying, which I don't believe. Combined with the fact that punji sticks are native to where Higgins did serve, my take on it is that Magnum heard "cannibals" and jumped to an interesting conclusion.
Well, Higgins has been known to "embellish" his memoirs quite a bit and of course that's the point of the scene... it was a hilarious excerpt! :lol:

However that said, I understand now that you weren't actually asking a question in your original post, my bad.
It was a rhetorical question, to which I had already deduced an answer that made sense.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

K Hale wrote: It was a rhetorical question, to which I had already deduced an answer that made sense.
Sorry K Hale but I'm a bit confused... what exactly was the answer that made sense to you? You said TM "jumped to an interesting conclusion" about the cannibalism taking place in Africa. I highly doubt the writers had TM jump to that conclusion... that just isn't one of his character traits. He was married to a Vietnamese woman, TC is one of his best friends, he was in love with Linda Lee Ellison, etc.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Sam »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
K Hale wrote: It was a rhetorical question, to which I had already deduced an answer that made sense.
Sorry K Hale but I'm a bit confused... what exactly was the answer that made sense to you? You said TM "jumped to an interesting conclusion" about the cannibalism taking place in Africa. I highly doubt the writers had TM jump to that conclusion... that just isn't one of his character traits. He was married to a Vietnamese woman, TC is one of his best friends, he was in love with Linda Lee Ellison, etc.
Yeah. I don't get that it's just a TV show seems so that someone's trying to be offended. I'll leave it there before going to get political

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by K Hale »

I am neither offended nor trying to be. I don't take bait, either. :)

OK, admittedly I was slightly put out that anyone would think Higgins is a liar... :wink:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by K Hale »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
This has been edited and added to since I saw it this morning, so I will answer. The conclusion I drew is the one I referenced above, that TM knows less about the world than Higgins. He was obviously thinking to catch Higgins in a lie, and it didn't work if you look up punji sticks. It's reminiscent of the time he said he was in London "a few times" and thought the Strand was a movie theater. He's trying to look clever. Instead it's just amusing.

Sorry if anyone was offended. I love Thomas but he doesn't know everything.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!