The Case of the Red Faced Thespian (4.12)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the fourth season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
2%
9.5 (One of the Best)
17%
9.0 (Excellent)
22%
8.5 (Very Good)
25%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
22%
7.5 (Decent)
5%
7.0 (Average at Best)
2%
6.5 (Not So Good)
2%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 109

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#21 Post by Tom_Magnum »

This episode is probably one of the best out of all of Season 4. I also noticed that Valerie and Marge both played characters on The Dukes of Hazzard. Marge (The Fugitive), and Valerie (Trouble at Cooter's). Strangely, these episodes are from Season 4 of DOH, and they both starred in the same epi of Magnum PI in Season 4!!!!

wilko
Captain

#22 Post by wilko »

Another flub.

Whilst Barrymore and Fairbanks are duelling we hear the piano being played by Archer Hayes. As Magnum stands next to the piano talking to Archer he continues playing but the board is raised and we can see inside the piano to the keys which are not moving!

burny
Commander

#23 Post by burny »

Rutledal wrote:I finally got back from my holiday to good ol' Magnum PI and this was the next episode on the DVD. Good episode, another fun "whodunnit" episode.

I also think I noticed a flub. In the scene where Higgins comes with the diamonds he found in his "double-v c" Rick calls Cynthia for Cindy. It might just be that me hearing is bad, but I think it was the case.
higgy, aka fearing, says "and the WC" not "double-v c".
WC being the euro term for bathroom (Water Closet)

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Sometimes really silly or goofy episodes are not my thing...but this one I really enjoy!

I love the group of guest-stars for this one...most I've seen in so many other things, and they're all superb character actors! The plot was interesting...Robin Masters hosting an anual 20's party on the estate where everyone dresses up in period costumes--then someone supposedly kills a girl and tries to kill Higgins the rest of the time! The dagger almost slicing Higgins but going into the tree was awesome!

Higgins going in and out of Sir Fearing Pangborn was hilarious...man if they'd of had Youtube back then, Magnum would've had blackmail material on Higgins forever! :lol:

I liked the Agatha Christie tie-ins too...I found it interesting that Magnum liked Christie and the older style of good who-dun-its! I like Agatha Christie stories, Sherlock Holmes, and other classics...so that someone like Magnum would enjoy staying up all night watching Christie was kind of cool! That's something I might do. I also like the idea that Lt. Tanaka also is into Agatha Christie but missed one...so Magnum is able to con him into proving Higgins innocent by letting him borrow his tape of the one he missed. :lol:

This is just one of those more slap-stick style episodes that does it just right--it doesn't go too far overboard with the silly aspect, and it's enjoyable and entertaining! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#25 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MaiTaiMan wrote:...man if they'd of had Youtube back then, Magnum would've had blackmail material on Higgins forever! :lol:
Nice!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:...man if they'd of had Youtube back then, Magnum would've had blackmail material on Higgins forever! :lol:
Nice!
LOL! :lol: :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#27 Post by miltontheripper »

I love this episode, one of my few 10 ratings so far as I watch in order. Best Higgins episode there is in my opinion, he's hilairous with all of his acting! I too enjoy the plot that its somewhat of a murder mystery costume party held on the estate. Agree that several of the "party guests" that we're recurring on the show were fantastic character actors and made this episode very fun.

mandolabar
Captain

#28 Post by mandolabar »

I had a lot of fun with this. And I was impressed in the opening sequence, when Higgins is hit by the croquet ball--he sways a bit, then falls backwards, and Magnum catches him and eases him to the ground. It sure looks like John Hillerman really did fall backward, and Tom Selleck really did catch him...I watched it a couple of times, and it looks to me like Hillerman is too far committed to falling backward before Sellect shows up. And it's one take, so there's no handy pillow waiting beneath.

So you film-trick savvy guys--was there some stunt protection I am unaware of, or did John Hillerman really trust Tom Selleck to catch him..?

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#29 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Rutledal wrote:I also think I noticed a flub. In the scene where Higgins comes with the diamonds he found in his "double-v c" Rick calls Cynthia for Cindy. It might just be that me hearing is bad, but I think it was the case.
Rutledal, Cindy is short for Cynthia.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Seaver41 »

mandolabar wrote:I had a lot of fun with this. And I was impressed in the opening sequence, when Higgins is hit by the croquet ball--he sways a bit, then falls backwards, and Magnum catches him and eases him to the ground. It sure looks like John Hillerman really did fall backward, and Tom Selleck really did catch him...I watched it a couple of times, and it looks to me like Hillerman is too far committed to falling backward before Sellect shows up. And it's one take, so there's no handy pillow waiting beneath.

So you film-trick savvy guys--was there some stunt protection I am unaware of, or did John Hillerman really trust Tom Selleck to catch him..?
if not mistaken.......you can't see the ground when the shot of Higgins passing out happens...they switch camera angles for that so there was probably a foam pad to fall into if Tom missed.

Didn't get into this one that much.

mandolabar
Captain

#31 Post by mandolabar »

Seaver41 wrote:
mandolabar wrote:I had a lot of fun with this. And I was impressed in the opening sequence, when Higgins is hit by the croquet ball--he sways a bit, then falls backwards, and Magnum catches him and eases him to the ground. It sure looks like John Hillerman really did fall backward, and Tom Selleck really did catch him...I watched it a couple of times, and it looks to me like Hillerman is too far committed to falling backward before Sellect shows up. And it's one take, so there's no handy pillow waiting beneath.

if not mistaken.......you can't see the ground when the shot of Higgins passing out happens...they switch camera angles for that so there was probably a foam pad to fall into if Tom missed.

Didn't get into this one that much.
Now, this is from memory--but I think I was watching for just exactly that, an angle switch or other shot-switch that would let them do that. And if I recall, it's one smooth pan--the shot starts on Higgins' face and sort of follows him down, and closes after Magnum has eased him to the ground. That's what had prompted my original comment, the very lack of an overt angle-switch that would make that possible.

I'll go back and check--but I'm almost certain it was one shot without opportunity to have a pad there for insurance. Anyone seen it more recently, weigh in?
"What I would have done, Magnum, is what I did." (Mad Dogs & Englishmen)

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Seaver41 »

I thought there was the wide angle shot that had both characters from the side and then a face on shot of Higgins alone when contact was shown.

mandolabar
Captain

#33 Post by mandolabar »

Okay, I watched the intro to this episode last night, and here's the deal. There are a number of cuts in the sequence--
Explosion and ball goes up
Higgins weaving a bit, seen from behind
Etc.
--BUT--
From the shot on Higgins' face, where he says "bloody good shot," the camera pulls back as he falls, Magnum steps in and catches him, and eases him down onto the grass--that's all one pan shot, with no breaks. So it still seems to me that John Hillerman was depending on Tom Selleck to catch him--especially since he's not visibly behind him in the first part of the shot, and has to step in--with no "insurance" padding if he missed.

I just think that's cool. It's harder to let yourself fall than one would think.

~Amanda
"What I would have done, Magnum, is what I did." (Mad Dogs & Englishmen)

snp389
Captain

#34 Post by snp389 »

Cool ep! 4 totally hot babes in this one. I was trying to figure out where I had seen all 4 of the gorgeous women in other movies/shows.

Colleen Camp: Playboy Bunny in 'Apocalypse Now'

June Chadwick: 'V' tv series

Laurette Spang: Casseopia in 'Battlestar Galactica'

Vonetta McGee: Gemima Brown in 'The Eiger Sanction'

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: The Case of the Red Faced Thespian (4.12)

#35 Post by marlboro »

Too bad there weren't any famous 1920's French maids for Colleen Camp to come dressed up as for the party:

About the episode: I wish it had been more of a "whodunit?" I think there should have been more done to establish the various suspects motives. Start with the "murder" and then have a steady stream of clues and red herrings. And French maids.