The Case of the Red Faced Thespian (4.12)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the fourth season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
2%
9.5 (One of the Best)
17%
9.0 (Excellent)
22%
8.5 (Very Good)
25%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
22%
7.5 (Decent)
5%
7.0 (Average at Best)
2%
6.5 (Not So Good)
2%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 109

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Case of the Red Faced Thespian (4.12)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for The Case of the Red Faced Thespian (4.12). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 1/19/1984
It's murder most foul when Higgins is struck on the head with a stray croquet ball right before a lavish Great Gatsby-themed costume ball is scheduled to be held at the estate. As Magnum rushes to keep things under control, some priceless jewels go missing, and an addled Higgins finds himself the prime suspect in the murder of one of the guests.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Despite the grammatically incorrect episode title, this one's a solid, fun episode. I love the setup here: a Great Gatsby-themed costume party. Magnum is Dashiell Hammett, T.C. is Paul Robeson playing Brutus Jones, Rick is Charlie Chaplin, and Higgins steals the show as the fictional Shakespearean actor Sir Fearing Pangborn! I love the 'villian twist' in this episode -- It was the majordomo of Robin's Nest before Higgins, in disguise!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by lutherhgillis »

This is one of my favorite episodes! Higgins doing Shakespear's greatest hits! Judging by the closing scene of the episode, Higgins was only pretending to have amnesia! What a hoot!!!

There is a potential flub in my opinion, however. Magnum goes into one of the upper rooms and finds a lady from a tabliod pretending to be Robin's assistant. There is the sound of a typewriter coming from another adjoining room. Apparently we are to believe she finds her way into the estate main house and is able to set up in this room without raising suspicion. Considering that Higgins was not really sick (see above), this would have been extremely unlikely. Also, on Magnums second or third visit to the upstairs room, he recalls that deadlines are not that important to Robin and that Robin never uses a typewriter but dictates his writing into a tape recorder (tape recorder fact came from J Digger Doyle episode) . Wouldn't Magnum have know this on his first visit to the room???
Last edited by lutherhgillis on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#4 Post by IslandHopper »

I also like this episode, although I think it took to long to get to the mystery part of the episode. I would have rather seen more of Magnum’s deductive reasoning at work and Higgins playing Shakespeare than Barrymore vs. Fairbanks Duel #'s 3 and 4. By the time they got to the murder part of the episode it seems that there was only about 1/4 of it left. Anyway, it was an interesting episode.

I particularly enjoyed Inez Stuart’s explanation of her grudge against Higgins because Higgins refused to help her trick Robin into letting her play the “tempestuous dancer” in Babes From Babylon. She continues to whine and says: “That movie would have meant my triumphant comeback.” Triumphant comeback? How far must one fall only to have a triumphant comeback from a movie called Babes from Babylon? :cry:

The episode flub is:

1. While trying to blow up the mongooses ‘base station’ with two explosives tied together, Higgins tries to ease Magnum’s mind by saying, “and may I remind you that I am something of a demolitions expert. Did I ever tell you about the time in India when Corky Bostwick brought two untouchables to headquarters.” The statement that Higgins was in India with Corky Bostwick is a flub because in “Mr. White Death” when Higgins first meets Earl Sipicus/Gianelli, Earl mentions that he wrestled with Corky Bostwick, and Higgins says, “I always wondered what became of Corky. He took a terrible hit at Anzio. We seemed to have lost touch with him. We heard rumors though.” Anzio refers to the Allied Invasion (WWII) of the Italian coastline at Anzio on January 22, 1944. The Anzio campaign officially ended on May 24, 1944. So, Corky must have been wounded between January 22, 1944 and May 24, 1944. Higgins acknowledged in “Mr. White Death” that he never saw Corky again after he got hit at Anzio. We also know from “Higgins’ History” that Higgins was in India in 1948, four years after he was at Anzio. Thus, if Higgins never saw Corky Bostwick after Anizo-1944, then he could not have been in India with him in 1948.

James, we might have some information to update on Higgins' History. I didn't see the Anzio information on "Higgins' History" (January 22, 1944 through May 24, 1944). We know that Higgins was on Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944, but it appears that he was at Anzio most likely from January 22, 1944 through May 24, 1944, just in time to get ready for Operation "Overloard" (D-Day) on June 6, 1944. :wink:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Whoa, that's a lot to digest!

It's definitely a flub, because Higgins also mentions being in India with Corky in 1949 ("One More Summer" and "The Case of the Red Faced Thespian").

His participation in Operation Shingle in Anzio does fit nicely with his timeline, however, as he was also in the Battle of Monte Cassino (Italy) in 1944 ("Basket Case")!

I'm constantly amazed at the consistancy of Higgins' timeline. Despite the numerous flubs in the show, which again are not uncommon for movies and TV shows, pretty much everything fits in Higgins' lengthy military career.

sctcarts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by sctcarts »

Let's not overlook an interesting RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK cameo in this one. The role of Archer Hayes/Xavier Jameson is played by character actor Ronald Lacey.....who was none other than the evil Nazi henchman Toht in RAIDERS - you know, the crazy little guy in black with the nasty laugh? I thought I recognized the face when I watched this episode the other night, even though he was sporting red hair and a mustache! Another brush with RAIDERS for Selleck. :o

-sctcarts

Magnums Little Voice
Lieutenant Commander

#7 Post by Magnums Little Voice »

This episode was great! Higgins was so funny with his mad speach's.
And I loved the Agatha Christie style ending too :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:I particularly enjoyed Inez Stuart’s explanation of her grudge against Higgins because Higgins refused to help her trick Robin into letting her play the “tempestuous dancer” in Babes From Babylon. She continues to whine and says: “That movie would have meant my triumphant comeback.” Triumphant comeback? How far must one fall only to have a triumphant comeback from a movie called Babes from Babylon? :cry:
LOL!
sctcarts wrote:Ronald Lacey.....who was none other than the evil Nazi henchman Toht in RAIDERS - you know, the crazy little guy in black with the nasty laugh?
Indeed. The "face melting" guy!

I have a couple of screens of interest:

Here's a clear shot of Higgins' stunt double. We don't often get a chance to see Higgins' stunt double!

The building in the background that is next to the water, I can't seem to find it on Google Maps. I don't recall seeing it in other episodes, either. Odd....

Psst! The building, not the hot British lady in the bikini! :)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Sam »

James,

I've done some research on the adjacent properties and from what I can determine that house was built in 1937.
Kinda hard to tell from your pic but I believe the dark portion on the house are the windows.
The house is still there.
Last edited by Sam on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah, and there it is. Thanks Sam.

I flubbed that one. :oops:

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#11 Post by Jodykmg365 »

The best part about this episode for me is getting to see so much of the upstairs.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Decided to put on my sleuthing hat again. I may be the only one here who finds this interesting.

The Agatha Christie/Miss Marple movie that Magnum watches briefly, the one that helps him solve the crime, appears to be The Murder at the Vicarage, the first novel to feature Miss Marple (1930). This is based solely on the dialog that is heard (Miss Marple & a hated Colonel), as the clip that is seen doesn't match the audio. Miss Marple wasn't featured on screen until 1961 (Murder, She Said). The first four Miss Marple movies (all in the '60s) featured Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple. The "Miss Marple" in the clip that is seen in this episode is definitely not Margaret Rutherford circa 1960s. Miss Marple wasn't seen again on screen until the 1980s, and the clip is certainly not from that time period.

The clip appears to be from something else entirely! The other possibility is that the Magnum team actually filmed this little clip and made it look like an old Agatha Christie movie. The guy on the left sort of looks like Ronald Lacey. If that's the case, they flubbed the audio sync.

Lastly, can anyone ID this car?

Thanks

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#13 Post by N1095A »

James J. Walters wrote:
Lastly, can anyone ID this car?

Thanks
Auburn Boat tail Speedster ?
Last edited by N1095A on Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah, that's it Mike. What a car. Thanks!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#15 Post by N1095A »

No problem James, It looked like either an Auburn, or a Cord. Matching the shape of the doors with the hood ornament proved it was the Auburn. The louvers above and below the exhaust pipes threw me of a little, but these cars were the same or very similar for many years so not sure of the exact year.
Last edited by N1095A on Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."