6.0 (Pretty Bad)
4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 85

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#41 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Ugggh. Not one of my favorites. Probably because I'm not a fan of Carol, so a "-centric" episode of hers does not have much promise for me to begin with. I kept wondering how an episode of Thomas actually being able to appear for the '67 Navy reunion would be instead of this (to quote TM) "lame" one! :wink:

snp389
Captain

#42 Post by snp389 »

I hate this Ep. But it is one of the the best.
Doesn't make sense, I know, but I just don't like this ep.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Seaver41 »

episode was entertaining enough, but I REALLY did not like the Carol plot. Everything was simply explained with nothing in the episode to support the ruse. Basically........a lazy job of writing.

Carol is entertaining, but I also did not like nor find her whole storyline plausible. When she throws it back in Magnum's face about manipulation, I found that a bad fit. It comes off as completely negative and underhanded....something you hate a person for........and forces Magnum to defend himself that it's usually for a good cause............WHICH IS THE UNDERLYING PREMISE OF THE DAMN SERIES. Magnum and his friends help others as well as each other. I just found that a clumsy device to plug in Carol and a poor plot design.

I found it more believable in the beginning when she pulled the guilt trip...that's something that usually works on Magnum and also highlights his good human nature side.

Faceman
Lieutenant

#44 Post by Faceman »

Totally agree guys, i found Carol the most annoying female role yet, even how she looked and everything about her! I just felt at the start with TM going to his reunion game it would be a great story and much more entertaining

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Sisophous »

Faceman wrote:Totally agree guys, i found Carol the most annoying female role yet, even how she looked and everything about her!
Funny, we likely share the same taste in women because I could not stand her too. They used her too often in this series. She came across as too opinionated on every subject matter and too aggressive which is a big turn off.

She would have been well suited as one of the women used in the Indiana Jones series with Harrison Ford, thoroughly annoying and abrasive.

snp389
Captain

#46 Post by snp389 »

The only good parts of this ep are the historical facts of TSM past.
I love the scene where TSM comes back home from a night in the cells, see's Carol and simply says "I don't ever want to see you again"

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Stelth »

Faceman wrote:Totally agree guys, i found Carol the most annoying female role yet, even how she looked and everything about her! I just felt at the start with TM going to his reunion game it would be a great story and much more entertaining
I too would have preferred to see Magnum at his reunion...maybe a crime could have sprung up at the game. That would have been more interesting to me, than seeing Carol and her unattractive poodle hairdo.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: No More Mr. Nice Guy (4.13)

#48 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

The Carol character was pretty much shoe-horned in in order to boost female ratings. You know, "strong female character", will they/will they not love interest and all that jazz.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Stelth »

I wish Patty McCormack (the original Carol*) would have kept the role instead of the poodle-headed annoyance.

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season ... Again.html
*3 Honolulu Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Carol Baldwin is seen for the first time! Here she is played by former child star and Academy Award nominee Patty McCormack (The Bad Seed) for one episode only. Kathleen Lloyd will play the character in all future appearances, starting with Season Four's "Distant Relative" (4.4). Carol will appear in a total of 18 episodes.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#50 Post by ConchRepublican »

I feel like I'm piling on poor Kathleen Lloyd, but I had a visceral dislike of her character as well. Her look, her style, her attitude .... all rubbed me the wrong way. They tried to make her a semi "core" character, but she never fit to me.

Another example of pushing an overly strong female as opposed to writing a confident female character in my mind.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#51 Post by Doc Ibold »

I didn't MIND Carol per se, or Kathleen Lloyd's portrayal of her.. It just seemed like she was sort of forced in to the series. I particularly wasn't fond of her hoodwinking Magnum in this episode, as you know he would have done it.. He just had other things to do, and would get around to it later as he patiently pointed out several times in the episode.

I think if they had treated it more like an organic character who is there if they're needed (read a Tanaka, Doc Ibold or a Kika), it would have worked much better. The prime example of this is Agatha. I mean, who doesn't like Agatha? She was introduced slowly until (And as several different characters - Mabel, Nola Barnes) you just said, "Oh, that's Agatha. It makes sense for her to be here"

Plus having her as a romantic interest for Magnum seemed a little out of whack because the character was too "together" for Magnum who prefers the damsel in distress to the total whack job to focus his affection on.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Seaver41 »

Doc Ibold wrote:I didn't MIND Carol per se, or Kathleen Lloyd's portrayal of her.. It just seemed like she was sort of forced in to the series. I particularly wasn't fond of her hoodwinking Magnum in this episode, as you know he would have done it.. He just had other things to do, and would get around to it later as he patiently pointed out several times in the episode.

I think if they had treated it more like an organic character who is there if they're needed (read a Tanaka, Doc Ibold or a Kika), it would have worked much better. The prime example of this is Agatha. I mean, who doesn't like Agatha? She was introduced slowly until (And as several different characters - Mabel, Nola Barnes) you just said, "Oh, that's Agatha. It makes sense for her to be here"

Plus having her as a romantic interest for Magnum seemed a little out of whack because the character was too "together" for Magnum who prefers the damsel in distress to the total whack job to focus his affection on.

let's be honest.........the attraction was one sided.........never ever saw her as a mate for Magnum.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#53 Post by marlboro »

Seaver41 wrote:
Carol is entertaining, but I also did not like nor find her whole storyline plausible. When she throws it back in Magnum's face about manipulation, I found that a bad fit. It comes off as completely negative and underhanded....something you hate a person for........and forces Magnum to defend himself that it's usually for a good cause............WHICH IS THE UNDERLYING PREMISE OF THE DAMN SERIES. Magnum and his friends help others as well as each other. I just found that a clumsy device to plug in Carol and a poor plot design.
The revelation that Carol was manipulating them all the entire time made me dislike her intensely. By pointing out that Magnum does the same type of things it makes me wonder if I should dislike him too.

I didn't care for this one very much. It isn't terrible or anything, but I watched it less than an hour ago and I've already forgotten most of the details of the plot.

Is Carol's boss named Stanton? I am bit confused. Her boss wanted to bring down Clinton but didn't want her on the case. Then someone named "Stanton" started harassing her for some reason. And then it turns out that a special agent that had nothing to do with her office was the real mole? I don't understand why she didn't just hire Magnum to acquire the tape and work from there without having to resort to such an elaborate ruse.

And why was no one suspicious of the special agent driving a limousine to go pick up the mobster? Either he completely blew his cover when he arrested TC and TM for impersonating an officer or he's working with the mob. Either way, it seems like you would at least want to ask him a few questions.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by charybdis1966 »

I'm struggling to get through this one and on the basis of what I've seen so far(I couldn't even watch it all in one go) I've given it my lowest vote ever.

Not only is the story/plot rather creaky but the supporting cast(Higgins/TC/Rick) seem to act a little out of character but my main antipathy for this episode stems from, as I've said before, my dislike for the character, behaviour and look of Carol.

There's one scene where the greying, front loaded poodle perm makes it look's like Kathleen Kennedy has a brillo pad on her head.

When TM walks down the steps to his room and says to her "I never want to see you again" I know EXACTLY how he feels.
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#55 Post by marlboro »