4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 85

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: No More Mr. Nice Guy (4.13)

#51 Post by Doc Ibold »

I didn't MIND Carol per se, or Kathleen Lloyd's portrayal of her.. It just seemed like she was sort of forced in to the series. I particularly wasn't fond of her hoodwinking Magnum in this episode, as you know he would have done it.. He just had other things to do, and would get around to it later as he patiently pointed out several times in the episode.

I think if they had treated it more like an organic character who is there if they're needed (read a Tanaka, Doc Ibold or a Kika), it would have worked much better. The prime example of this is Agatha. I mean, who doesn't like Agatha? She was introduced slowly until (And as several different characters - Mabel, Nola Barnes) you just said, "Oh, that's Agatha. It makes sense for her to be here"

Plus having her as a romantic interest for Magnum seemed a little out of whack because the character was too "together" for Magnum who prefers the damsel in distress to the total whack job to focus his affection on.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Seaver41 »

Doc Ibold wrote:I didn't MIND Carol per se, or Kathleen Lloyd's portrayal of her.. It just seemed like she was sort of forced in to the series. I particularly wasn't fond of her hoodwinking Magnum in this episode, as you know he would have done it.. He just had other things to do, and would get around to it later as he patiently pointed out several times in the episode.

I think if they had treated it more like an organic character who is there if they're needed (read a Tanaka, Doc Ibold or a Kika), it would have worked much better. The prime example of this is Agatha. I mean, who doesn't like Agatha? She was introduced slowly until (And as several different characters - Mabel, Nola Barnes) you just said, "Oh, that's Agatha. It makes sense for her to be here"

Plus having her as a romantic interest for Magnum seemed a little out of whack because the character was too "together" for Magnum who prefers the damsel in distress to the total whack job to focus his affection on.

let's be honest.........the attraction was one sided.........never ever saw her as a mate for Magnum.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#53 Post by marlboro »

Seaver41 wrote:
Carol is entertaining, but I also did not like nor find her whole storyline plausible. When she throws it back in Magnum's face about manipulation, I found that a bad fit. It comes off as completely negative and underhanded....something you hate a person for........and forces Magnum to defend himself that it's usually for a good cause............WHICH IS THE UNDERLYING PREMISE OF THE DAMN SERIES. Magnum and his friends help others as well as each other. I just found that a clumsy device to plug in Carol and a poor plot design.
The revelation that Carol was manipulating them all the entire time made me dislike her intensely. By pointing out that Magnum does the same type of things it makes me wonder if I should dislike him too.

I didn't care for this one very much. It isn't terrible or anything, but I watched it less than an hour ago and I've already forgotten most of the details of the plot.

Is Carol's boss named Stanton? I am bit confused. Her boss wanted to bring down Clinton but didn't want her on the case. Then someone named "Stanton" started harassing her for some reason. And then it turns out that a special agent that had nothing to do with her office was the real mole? I don't understand why she didn't just hire Magnum to acquire the tape and work from there without having to resort to such an elaborate ruse.

And why was no one suspicious of the special agent driving a limousine to go pick up the mobster? Either he completely blew his cover when he arrested TC and TM for impersonating an officer or he's working with the mob. Either way, it seems like you would at least want to ask him a few questions.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by charybdis1966 »

I'm struggling to get through this one and on the basis of what I've seen so far(I couldn't even watch it all in one go) I've given it my lowest vote ever.

Not only is the story/plot rather creaky but the supporting cast(Higgins/TC/Rick) seem to act a little out of character but my main antipathy for this episode stems from, as I've said before, my dislike for the character, behaviour and look of Carol.

There's one scene where the greying, front loaded poodle perm makes it look's like Kathleen Kennedy has a brillo pad on her head.

When TM walks down the steps to his room and says to her "I never want to see you again" I know EXACTLY how he feels.
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#55 Post by marlboro »

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#56 Post by Doc Ibold »

marlboro wrote:Image
That's not creepy.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by charybdis1966 »

marlboro wrote:Image
Marlboro, now that's just mean. So that's a few sleepless nights I have coming up. :shock:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#58 Post by ConchRepublican »

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#59 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I didn't care for this one very much at all. Not being a fan of American football there was too much involvement of it for my tastes. The way that Carol conned EVERYONE was highly unethical and probably not legal. Higgins, TC, and Rick all were not licensed private investigators so they had much more to lose if she got them into a messy situation. They never really explained what happened with her house. Did she set it up to make it seem like someone was ransacking it? Did she hit Magnum? She also came across as a kid playing a game when they were cracking the safe. She was, supposedly, a district attourney yet acted like they were just goofing around. When Carol said she learned manipulating people into helping her from Magnum was she also saying she knew she could manipulate his friends and get away with it or was she saying that she thought he'd understand why she did things the way she did?

Really, the best part of the episode was having another connection with SOAP. Kind of fun that, at least, three members of that show made it Magnum. I also have to wonder how Carol, without wearing a seatbelt, was unharmed when the car crashed. She came out of the whole episode looking like Superwoman which never really happened again.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by MaximRecoil »

Out of the entire series, I disliked Carol in this episode more than any other character, and that includes Ivan (at least Ivan got his comeuppance).

Her "reasoning" wasn't even valid. Even if I accept that Magnum does the same thing that she did, how does that justify her conning Higgins, TC, and Rick? When did they ever con her? Also, Magnum's dealings with his friends are none of her business. There's obviously an understanding among all of them, else they wouldn't still be friends. She came across as a busybody and an interloper in this episode. She wasn't with them in Vietnam. She never saved any of their lives. Who said that she could "play"?

Also, I didn't like her acting as though she was entitled to con them all, nor did I like how comfortable she appeared to be with her betrayal of them in the jail scene. And I didn't like how everyone let it slide; that wasn't even remotely believable.

jno
Captain

#61 Post by jno »

I quite enjoyed this one but conning Rick, TC and Higgins was a bit off.

One thing about this episode - when Carol is telling Magnum some hometruths about how he uses his friends, is it just me or is her hair slightly different? The gr(e/a)y bits do seem far less obvious in those scenes than when she appears elsewhere in the episode. Am I seeing things here?

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by MagnumILWU »

Watching it now, on Encore! This has one of my favorite opening scenes of any Magnum. Magnum and TC, running plays on the estate, looking good. Great throws and catches. Great scenery. And poor Higgins. A great start to an OK episode!
"pickled egg please"

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Stelth »

I was watching too but I had to switch to something else because of acute Carol poisoning.

Tuan Vu
Captain

#64 Post by Tuan Vu »

Here is some behind-the-scenes footage of the episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85vepJshXl8

Algernon Farnsworth
Lieutenant Commander

#65 Post by Algernon Farnsworth »

Do they ever mention how things are worked out with the police? I mean, even if they found a way out of the drug bust, T.C. really did impersonate a police officer...