Total votes: 96

TSM308
Captain

Re: Rembrandt's Girl (4.14)

#41 Post by TSM308 »

charybdis1966 wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:
charybdis1966 wrote:
As it seems I'm becoming obsessed with proper english accents on MPI I had to laugh at the hilarious one the girl in the white shorts (at Rick's/TC's impromptu party at Magnum's place) had; the one who was waiting for a delivery from Paradise Pizzas had an outrageous cockney accent, rather like Dick van Dyke's effort in Mary Poppins.

I was thinking Eliza Doolittle myself...
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#42 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

With all the Magnum references in Family Guy, I was really expecting either Brian or Stewie to saying something like, "Hey, didn't this happen in a Magnum P.I. episode with Tom Selleck and Carol Burnett?" Sadly, they never did!
Carol sued Family Guy in 2009, so I don't think they'd risk mentioning her again. :P

I didn't understand the dress she wore either. I mean granted, she KILLED with backless dresses in the 80s, but I'm pretty sure a place with sprinklers set off is not an ideal one for that. Now I feel bad for looking when that happens. :oops:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by KingKC »

Carol Burnett is iconic but this was not a great role for her. Actually A Girl Named Sue came off as a little funnier to me. This episode and the eighth season reprisal was just part of the eclectic nature of MPI and that is the best I can say.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I did like how much crazier she got in "A Girl Named Sue". :lol:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by KingKC »

I watched the rerun last night and I still don't like Carol Burnett's character or Carol Burnett's acting. It was a little over the top when it comes to silly. Then again, so was this episode. I am still deciding whether to give it a 5 or a 6.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#46 Post by brianw »

Not a fan of Burnett, or this episode. TS's wife was pretty hot though.

Steve-O
Commander

#47 Post by Steve-O »

I thought the episode was middling but okay, though I would give it only about a 6/10. I thought the giggling/laughing scenes were a bit over the top, even though this is the kind of stuff we could expect from Carol Burnett. I would however agree that it was a bit of a score at the time for the show to land CB into an episode (or two), as she was still aglow from her peak of popularity in the 70s. The secondary story of Rick and TC's party in the guesthouse was fun, although not so much for Higgins. Agatha did not seem too phased by the bash. Apologies to whomever, but I find Jilly Mack rather plain— which I know matters to exactly... no one! I'm sure she is a wonderful person though.
Every now and then I see/hear a reference in a tv show or movie to something which I think might be lost on many viewers. In this episode, Susan mentions right after breaking open the wine that she has chocolate. She then mentions about camping out on the Bodensee for 3 days with nothing to eat but chocolate. Bodensee is the German name for Lake Konstance, which is on the southwest edge of Germany. It borders Switzerland and a little bit of Austria, and was a popular weekend getaway spot for locals and for folks from our former airbase near Baden-Baden in the Schwartzwald. I'm sure Alt Düsseldorf was available in the Bierhalle!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by K Hale »

This is one of the episodes where I enjoyed the B-plot much more than the main story. It was hilarious. The way Higgins’ meditation weekend and the guesthouse party got melded into one large event was great. The scenes in the vault with Susan and Magnum got really, really old... really fast.

“Paradise Pizza?”
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#49 Post by Lord Ickenham »

I liked this episode, because there are a lot of gags in it. Most of them are predictible, but work very well. For example: when Higgins started to meditate, you know, the party will start. When Magnum mentions his weekend program, you already knew, that he won't travel. And the twisting at the end was hilarious: Higgins's guests went to the party, but the sexy girl connected to the meditation. So, I enjoyed the entertaining feeling of this episode. Instead of the weak storyline.

IslandHopper82
Ensign

#50 Post by IslandHopper82 »

Steve-O wrote: In this episode, Susan mentions right after breaking open the wine that she has chocolate. She then mentions about camping out on the Bodensee for 3 days with nothing to eat but chocolate. Bodensee is the German name for Lake Konstance, which is on the southwest edge of Germany. It borders Switzerland and a little bit of Austria, and was a popular weekend getaway spot for locals and for folks from our former airbase near Baden-Baden in the Schwartzwald. I'm sure Alt Düsseldorf was available in the Bierhalle!
The region around the Bodensee is very beautiful, but it would be a wonder when they had original "Düsseldorfer Alt" there. Alt beer is popular in the region of the Niederrhein. There are many breweries. But the original Düsseldorfer Alt is just made by a few old breweries. Like Füchschens, Uerige, Schuhmacher, Frankenheim or Schlüssel. And you can usually get it just in Düsseldorf and the region around it. I live about 50km away from Düsseldorf and even in here you can't find the original Düsseldorfer Alt. For that I have to drive closer to Düsseldorf.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by ENSHealy »

4.14 REMBRANDT'S GIRL
Famous guest stars: 1 Carol Burnett
Hawaiian shirts: 1 Purple calla lilies
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum: 1 2:36
OMG: 1 45:46
Higgins Organizations: First Anglo Hawaiian Bank?
Higgins musings: .5 8:24
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking: 1 37:58
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks: 1 13:33
Magnumometer: 7.5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/391871470

Potential magnumania usernames: Rembrandt Norton, Lefty Schultz

Where does all the water go? Shouldn't they be about ankle deep in it by the end?

Is this the only time Carol Burnett’s nipples were seen in public?

I believe it’s Chardonnay not champagne:
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Little Garwood »

Rembrandt’s Girl advert. TV Guide, week of January 28-February 3, 1984.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Wilson_MacLeish
Lieutenant

#53 Post by Wilson_MacLeish »

I hate this episode. That said, I love the Carol Burnett show, and I think the woman herself is fine. However, I have no use for her on Magnum P.I. Certainly not in a way that takes over the whole episode with nonsensical awkwardness, and forced "comedy" goofiness by literally making the star a captive audience. The moments where she plays it straight are much more enjoyable, tolerable and appealing. If she had been a normal human guest star instead of a cartoonish dunce, I would feel much better about this one. The fact that they brought her back to waste one of the precious few season 8 episodes on is unforgivable as well.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#54 Post by Aloha Friday »

Yuck. This and the other Carol Burnett episode are the worst. I like Carol Burnett in her element, but this is awful...other than the Higgins meditation weekend side-story, this one is hard to watch. I think she was a neighbor of TS's in Hawaii...and suppose they are good friends, but the over-acting by both of them made this one close to the bottom of all the episodes...her red vinyl detective outfit in the other episode, however managed to be worse.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia