6.0 (Pretty Bad)
5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
6%

Total votes: 96

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Saw a Family Guy episode recently that featured Brian and Stewie locked in a bank vault for a weekend together. The whole episode was just them in the bank vault. No cutaway gags or anything. Alcohol was consumed. Confessions were made. Tempers flared. Uncontrollable laughter. A gun made an appearance. Eerily similar to this episode!

With all the Magnum references in Family Guy, I was really expecting either Brian or Stewie to saying something like, "Hey, didn't this happen in a Magnum P.I. episode with Tom Selleck and Carol Burnett?" Sadly, they never did!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Steve »

Carol Burnett was asked on the Piers Morgan show last night (4-21-11) what fond memories she had working with "hunky" actors over her career. She replied enthusiasticly she loved working with Burt Reynolds and Tom Selleck and found both very generous and funny to be around. I have always liked this episode as you can't fake good chemistry between actors.................

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by AmandaByNight »

Carol Burnett and Tom Sellck = Gold.

Love it!

Strangely, what I remember most is the dress Carol wears in the vault. My father and I used to watch this show every day in re-runs in the late 80s and he HATED that dress. Everytime this episode played he'd make a comment about it. She made up for it though by wearing the best clothes on the Carol Burnett Show! :)

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This episode was pretty good...and I rated it as such. I love Carol Burnett so I enjoyed her as the main guest-star. She was hilarious on her own show, but even though she was a little more serious in this "Magnum" episode, some of the Burnett-style humor shown through and it was enjoyable and entertaining! :)

The only issue I really have with "Rembrandt's Girl", is the aspect that it mostly took place inside the bank vault. After a while it got a little boring and monotonous. But, it wasn't bad. :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by miltontheripper »

Agreed, a "pretty good" episode but nothing great. I have to say I did really enjoy Rick and TC having a bash in the guest house. That british lady was funny, even though she's pretty darn annoying in a much later episode where she has orange hair and is Higgins niece or something? Higgins reaction to the party cracks me up and good chemistry between Carol Burnett and TS.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#26 Post by Pahonu »

miltontheripper wrote:Agreed, a "pretty good" episode but nothing great. I have to say I did really enjoy Rick and TC having a bash in the guest house. That british lady was funny, even though she's pretty darn annoying in a much later episode where she has orange hair and is Higgins niece or something? Higgins reaction to the party cracks me up and good chemistry between Carol Burnett and TS.
You mean Jillie Mack, aka Mrs. Selleck!!

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#27 Post by miltontheripper »

Oh my gosh, are you serious? That's Tom Selleck's wife in real life? Wow, I never knew that!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Seaver41 »

she looks gooooood in that episode. I couldn't deal with the accent, but she looked nice.

Good fun episode. I will also chime in on Carol Burnett......there were elements of her character in this episode that you reallly could only appreciate had you known her from her sketch comedy show. She was demonstrative and zany......big into physical comedy.

One major flub that bothered me.....I don't care how long they were sitting after the sprinklers were turned off.......there's no way they should've looked as dry and refreshed as before. She had her hair perfect, makeup in place.

If you get the chance to watch her show on DVD.....I suggest you do so. She created so many memorable characters. My favorite part about her show was watching Tim Conway, Harvey Korman trying not to laugh through their lines............that cracked me up more than anything. Seeing Carol or Vicki Lawrence lose it was more rare and that much more enjoyable..........loved that show. Can't remember how many times I watched the reruns that ran in syndication when I was a kid. Mama's Family originated out of a sketch from this show.

Bartender
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#29 Post by Bartender »

While MPI does tend to get a little "campy" from time to time, which is part of its charm, this one was just too stupid for me. With the star talent available, I think it was just poorly written and directed. It is my least favorite episode. More remeniscent of a Carol Burnet slapstick skit than a regular MPI episode.
Only redeeming part? When the sprinklers soak Carol and Tom, you can see Carol's nipples through her dress. I guess that's OK. :D

Faceman
Lieutenant

#30 Post by Faceman »

Watched this last night and hated it, so logged on here to find what everyone else had thought about it. Very surprised, mostly positive comments, but then that's what opinions are about. I have enjoyed every magnum episode up ' no more mr nice guy' which was just ok but didn't like the female character and i forced myself to watch this out of habit more than anything else, so that's 2 dodgy episodes in a row.

As others have said, obviosly some are big fans of Carol Burnett also, i don't know who she is so she added nothing to this for me.

Happy to say i'm just on No.15 paradise blues now and it's back to normal, much better!!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Sisophous »

Faceman wrote:Watched this last night and hated it
Same here, I rated this as 1 star and not many episodes did I rate this low. Carol Burnett was an American comedian and I watched her shows as a young boy in the 70s. She was unique in answering any questions or taking any comments from the studio audience, most of which were big fans of her. People would say anything you can imagine to her in front of a live audience and she was so witty she would just wing it, was flawless and unflinching in her replies.

Unfortunately, her role was overbearing and highly annoying in this Magnum episode. This episode does not feel like a Magnum P.I. episode. It is almost as if I were watching an entirely different series.

snp389
Captain

#32 Post by snp389 »

I found this ep a little out there...

Didn't really go anywhere.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: Rembrandt's Girl (4.14)

#33 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Quote of the episode: "Oh, what pretty colors!"

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I usually skip this episode when watching MPI in a row.

Imo the entire episode is plain boring.
The series is set on Hawaii and most of the episode rakes place in a bank vault?

And contrary to 'paper war' Higgins is not locked up with TSM to make things less boring

My least fav. episode.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#35 Post by marlboro »

The "Magnum forced to team up with an annoying woman" plot has been used several times but this was a chance to do an episode where it could have really worked.

If you are going to cast Carol Burnett you need to go all out. Go ahead and cast Harvey Corman as her "fiancee" and go for some big laughs.

Overall: not funny enough for a comedy, and not enough mystery or drama for a straight episode.