5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
6%

Total votes: 96

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Sisophous »

Faceman wrote:Watched this last night and hated it
Same here, I rated this as 1 star and not many episodes did I rate this low. Carol Burnett was an American comedian and I watched her shows as a young boy in the 70s. She was unique in answering any questions or taking any comments from the studio audience, most of which were big fans of her. People would say anything you can imagine to her in front of a live audience and she was so witty she would just wing it, was flawless and unflinching in her replies.

Unfortunately, her role was overbearing and highly annoying in this Magnum episode. This episode does not feel like a Magnum P.I. episode. It is almost as if I were watching an entirely different series.

snp389
Captain

#32 Post by snp389 »

I found this ep a little out there...

Didn't really go anywhere.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: Rembrandt's Girl (4.14)

#33 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Quote of the episode: "Oh, what pretty colors!"

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I usually skip this episode when watching MPI in a row.

Imo the entire episode is plain boring.
The series is set on Hawaii and most of the episode rakes place in a bank vault?

And contrary to 'paper war' Higgins is not locked up with TSM to make things less boring

My least fav. episode.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#35 Post by marlboro »

The "Magnum forced to team up with an annoying woman" plot has been used several times but this was a chance to do an episode where it could have really worked.

If you are going to cast Carol Burnett you need to go all out. Go ahead and cast Harvey Corman as her "fiancee" and go for some big laughs.

Overall: not funny enough for a comedy, and not enough mystery or drama for a straight episode.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this last night and while there were, as ever, some nice character moments, as has been mentioned before the annoying female guest star routine has been done rather too many times already.

As it seems I'm becoming obsessed with proper english accents on MPI I had to laugh at the hilarious one the girl in the white shorts (at Rick's/TC's impromptu party at Magnum's place) had; the one who was waiting for a delivery from Paradise Pizzas had an outrageous cockney accent, rather like Dick van Dyke's effort in Mary Poppins.

I had to laugh at that and the look of jealousy on Agatha's face when she kissed Higgin's goodbye.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#37 Post by Doc Ibold »

charybdis1966 wrote:I saw this last night and while there were, as ever, some nice character moments, as has been mentioned before the annoying female guest star routine has been done rather too many times already.

As it seems I'm becoming obsessed with proper english accents on MPI I had to laugh at the hilarious one the girl in the white shorts (at Rick's/TC's impromptu party at Magnum's place) had; the one who was waiting for a delivery from Paradise Pizzas had an outrageous cockney accent, rather like Dick van Dyke's effort in Mary Poppins.

I had to laugh at that and the look of jealousy on Agatha's face when she kissed Higgin's goodbye.
That's actually Tom Selleck's English wife, Jillie Mack

:wink:

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by charybdis1966 »

Doc Ibold wrote:
charybdis1966 wrote:I saw this last night and while there were, as ever, some nice character moments, as has been mentioned before the annoying female guest star routine has been done rather too many times already.

That's actually Tom Selleck's English wife, Jillie Mack

:wink:
Ha, I did not know that, it just sounds like she's hamming it up somewhat.

Maybe she's the reverse of Jane Leeves, a northerner trying to sound like a southerner ??

(Edit - I've just looked it up and she's from Wiltshire, so a West Country girl trying to sound like a cockney,hmm I can see that.)

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Milton Collins »

I hadn't seen this one in years and it was better than I remembered, but still an average episode for me. Carol Burnett was a good solid guest character and the concept of her and TM being stuck in a bank vault was an interesting twist. The scene where Higgins is preparing for his meditation gathering by the candles in his white robe kills me! He looks like the Phantom of the Opera in that scene!nhis strange yet interesting hobbies never spreads to amaze me. I love when he busts in on the party and is greeted by none other than Jillie Mack! The party scene as a whole is a total riot! And funny to see good old "Jason Bryant" from the Murder She Wrote crossovers playing the bank manager and Carol Burnett's boyfriend. His cackle during the laughing scene is ridiculously bad yet hilarious! Not a great episode but decent in my book.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I realize a good number of people feel this way about the ep itself, but:

An underrated aside from Magnum. :lol:

:P

TSM308
Captain

#41 Post by TSM308 »

charybdis1966 wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:
charybdis1966 wrote:

I was thinking Eliza Doolittle myself...
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#42 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

With all the Magnum references in Family Guy, I was really expecting either Brian or Stewie to saying something like, "Hey, didn't this happen in a Magnum P.I. episode with Tom Selleck and Carol Burnett?" Sadly, they never did!
Carol sued Family Guy in 2009, so I don't think they'd risk mentioning her again. :P

I didn't understand the dress she wore either. I mean granted, she KILLED with backless dresses in the 80s, but I'm pretty sure a place with sprinklers set off is not an ideal one for that. Now I feel bad for looking when that happens. :oops:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by KingKC »

Carol Burnett is iconic but this was not a great role for her. Actually A Girl Named Sue came off as a little funnier to me. This episode and the eighth season reprisal was just part of the eclectic nature of MPI and that is the best I can say.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I did like how much crazier she got in "A Girl Named Sue". :lol:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by KingKC »

I watched the rerun last night and I still don't like Carol Burnett's character or Carol Burnett's acting. It was a little over the top when it comes to silly. Then again, so was this episode. I am still deciding whether to give it a 5 or a 6.