6.0 (Pretty Bad)
5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 92

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#11 Post by Doc Ibold »

This episode IS notable because it is the first time that it was noted that T.C. was married at some point.

Aside from the T.C. backstory portion of it, this episode is a bit of a let-down.

I had to snicker at the "Detroit" scenes.

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#12 Post by Rutledal »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:* Once again, the Region 1 DVD version has no opening trailer. I’ll probably get the R2 version to check if there is one.
I can confirm that the R2 release does have the opening trailer.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#13 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Not bad, but not great. I loved seeing Mangione, but he could have been written into the story a bit better. Walking in the dressing room playing the horn was poorly thought out. Still, kudos to whoever snagged him for a jazz-themed episode. The end really catches you off guard. Its a truly spectacular crash...I'm surprised the parks department (or whoever is responsible for such things) actually let them run that car off the cliff!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

brunoffrance
Captain

good questions....

#14 Post by brunoffrance »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Not bad, but not great. I loved seeing Mangione, but he could have been written into the story a bit better. Walking in the dressing room playing the horn was poorly thought out. Still, kudos to whoever snagged him for a jazz-themed episode. The end really catches you off guard. Its a truly spectacular crash...I'm surprised the parks department (or whoever is responsible for such things) actually let them run that car off the cliff!
I agree and think like that.
As all sundays, we see an episode but this time, we 've forgotten to vote... so ecxeptionaly, I vote alone and it's an 8.
Not a military fan but I've loved the 'nam concert where there are only few soldiers in the color story remember and a few hundred in the archive concert document in B&W...
Sure the crash surprised me and I always wonder how they do that after the explosion.... is there a company paid to clean all that ? is it possible to do that on a protected environmental coast ???
Good questions .... thank you Bruno...

Bruno.
Very american 4 a french...

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Coops »

I have to say I really, really enjoyed this episode but that's mainly from my experience in the military. When you're away from loved ones and in some far off foreign land you tend to get attracted to what reminds you most of home, or at least something that seems familiar. I completely got what T.C. was going through and having friends there trying to tell me what the real deal was, even though I didn't want to listen. I also really enjoyed the shocker ending, the bittersweet ending of it. That's sort of a Magnum trademark, the bittersweet ending?

Also, in the flubs section regarding T.C. saluting with his left hand, as long as he's not formally saluting another person in unifrom (either initiating or returning the salue), it doesn't matter which hand you salute with, obviously, since he was with Alexis, he was just goofing around.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

I've removed the salute flub, Coops. Thanks.

Not only is the ending itself shocking, but it's also shocking to see Tom Selleck and Roger E. Mosley standing on the edge of a huge cliff! They are both right up on the edge. You can tell that they didn't use any stand-ins or stunt doubles either, because it's one continuous pull-out shot (starting close in) that never breaks away. I guess it's safe to say that neither Tom or Roger are afraid of heights! That would have scared the heck out of me!

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Coops »

Agreed J.J., I guess that's another reason why I liked this episode so much. There is a lost aspect to M.P.I. that, I think, has been lost in time is a lot of M.P.I.'s unique features, camera movement, cinematography, etc..., was very cutting edge at the time and made M.P.I. very fresh and original. Now it all seems sort of dated but I remember at the time M.P.I. really had a fresh look to it that no other tv show had. That last shot is an example of this. Man, I really miss watching this show when it first aired.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

Indeed!

That last shot from this episode is one of my favorite of the series. You just don't see shots like that anymore on TV (at least not very often anyway).

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#19 Post by Doc Ibold »

I view this as the T.C. "Kona Winds" episode.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Coops »

Just to clarify my comment about the salute, if one has their right arm in a sling or otherwise immobile it's perfectly within military protocol to salute with your left hand.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by No need to know! »

CONTAIN SPOILERS!! I am really trying to like this episode but i have to say that it might be the weakest one of the fourth season, and of the entire series. If you look how happily overacting Mosley is in the beginning to see her again you just knew that she would die in the end, and things like that ruin it a bit for me. I am certainly not a fan of Jazz music either so that doesn´t help one bit that you hear a slow playing trumpet every five minutes :?
It still has some good moments, that shot in the end where TC and Magnum stand on the cliff is nice until the trumpet comes in one last time :?
Onion´s extra?

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by 308GTS »

Have to say that after watching this ep again (maybe 4 or 5 times in total) I dislike it even more than ever. I can remember watching it on TV in 1985 and not being too keen on it then. Some really hammy acting, except for TM and Higgins who are impeccable as ever. It's the rest of the cast, including yet another dumb turn by TC making a bad choice by falling in love with "the trouble magnet Anita Baker wanabee". And, that damn trumpet player, he almost comes across as a total looney tune, especially the scenes where TM is trying to talk to him in Alex's dressing room, every time TM talks to him he starts blowing on that damn thing like he's possessed by it.

All in all a very poor episode apart from the ending, which is great for many reasons!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#23 Post by Styles Bitchley »

308GTS wrote:And, that damn trumpet player, he almost comes across as a total looney tune, especially the scenes where TM is trying to talk to him in Alex's dressing room, every time TM talks to him he starts blowing on that damn thing like he's possessed by it.
Ha ha. You crack me up Arun. Although I have to disagree on the Chuck Mangione scenes. Yes, they're weird, but they feel so good! They're so cheesy that I love it. They really wanted to bring in the flugelhorn master as a guest star but were obviously struggling to give him screen time. I don't know if they meant it to be funny, but that's how it turned out. And in the end, you have to admit that those scenes are some of the most memorable in the entire series.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL Arun! :)

And you're right Styles, it's really a great little "cheesy" scene. After every line Jimmy (Chuck) starts playing his flugelhorn again. Like Chuck himself, you get the sense that he never goes anywhere without his horn. I find it particularly funny when he belts out his first word to Magnum. "Charts". His voice breaks and he sounds like a frog!

Of course, we got cut the guy some slack. This was his very first credited acting role. He's obviously not a trained thespian. Very cool to see him in a Magnum episode, though. Fun and Games is a great record!
steve wrote:I'm betting that Mike Judge got some of his inspiration for the running Chuck Mangione joke on King of the Hill watching this episode........
Anyone else crack up when Chuck enters the Dressing Room playing his Flugelhorn.........
I finally saw one the King of the Hill episodes that he is in. The first one, I believe (the one where he lives in the Mega Lo Mart and plays "Feels So Good" all the time). Hilarious!

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by nha trang »

(CONTAINS SPOILERS)I think the previous reviews pretty much sum up my feeling for this episode. I rated it an 8, and I thought about giving it an 8.5 due to the crash-ending. You have to admit, the end of the episode is pretty spectacular, and we know when MPI can be hammy, believe me, the ending is not hammy...really caught me off guard, and as has been noted, the camera work and that last shot is beautiful work. The episode is saved by this ending and also by the fact that it relates to TC's history and character development, ie the concert flashbacks and the pictures...this is a much better episode in my opinion than that crappy basketball kid episode I can never remember the name to...lol