6.0 (Pretty Bad)
5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 92

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#31 Post by miltontheripper »

A few thoughts on this episode. I gave it an 8. I was happy to see season 4 go back to a more serious, darker episode with a genuine mystery after many light hearted and funny (yet very entertaining!) episodes (Luther, Rembrants Girls, Red Face Thespian, etc). Agree with some of you that the trumpet player was ANNOYING!!! His constant playing while people were talking was awful! I have to say the long term crush TC had on Alex and the sense of loss he must have felt made it a very intense episode (even though Alex was clearly bad news from the beginning). I liked Thomas' loyalty to TC by trying to keep him away from her to protect him.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#32 Post by Styles Bitchley »

miltontheripper wrote:Agree with some of you that the trumpet player was ANNOYING!!! His constant playing while people were talking was awful!
C'mon Milt, don't you know a flugelhorn when you see it! :wink: I don't either...but that's what Chuck plays.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by MaiTaiMan »

miltontheripper wrote:A few thoughts on this episode. I gave it an 8. I was happy to see season 4 go back to a more serious, darker episode with a genuine mystery after many light hearted and funny (yet very entertaining!) episodes (Luther, Rembrants Girls, Red Face Thespian, etc). Agree with some of you that the trumpet player was ANNOYING!!! His constant playing while people were talking was awful! I have to say the long term crush TC had on Alex and the sense of loss he must have felt made it a very intense episode (even though Alex was clearly bad news from the beginning). I liked Thomas' loyalty to TC by trying to keep him away from her to protect him.
Exactly...like how you stated everything! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Bes
Commander

#34 Post by Bes »

I remember quite liking this episode; certainly much better than Missing Melody interms of TC-centric episodes IMO.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Seaver41 »

I liked it..........nothing wrong with a 'heavy' episode. Mangione was annoying and one of those poorly placed guests. That whole dressing room scene with the horn was so forced it was annoying. I have to think it was by design, but the writers seemed to make the Uggams character unlikeable to the point the ending was fitting and allowed the character to redeem herself.

For anyone who was a fan of 'The Wire'.........the bad guy in this episode looks strikingly like the 'Chris' character who was Marlo's gunman. I wonder if they are related.

snp389
Captain

#36 Post by snp389 »

Cool show.

Another show that has a lot of history.

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

Re: Paradise Blues (4.15)

#37 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

I'm not agree with the flub about the car chase at the end of the episode. Actually when Magnum gets into the Ferrari to chase the bad guys, he's not alone. Here is the sequence: in the second pic you can clearly see the head of TC, sitting in the front seat with him.
ImageImageImage

However the car chase begins on the Kamehame Ridge but ends on the Makapuu Point Trail, around the Makapuu Lighthouse. On the top of the hill there is a World War II bunker.
ImageImage
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#38 Post by marlboro »

Minus the flugelhorn and some subpar acting by Roger Mosley, this was a pretty decent episode.

The powerful ending....had me laughing out loud. I don't like looking for flubs because they take me out of the "reality" of the show but that big puff of smoke while the car is still in mid-air had me rolling. Did that gangster from Detroit spontaneously combust or was Alexis secretly the Human Torch? I think they should have skipped the explosion and just kept the zoom shot to demonstrate just how far the drop was.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#39 Post by marlboro »

This may have already been mentioned, but there may have been a pretty big flub in this one. Or at least an extremely out of character moment. In the scene where magnum goes backstage and discovers that the singers dressing room has been ransacked, he tells the policeman watching the door "It's ok - I'm a private eye." as he slips past him.

The more I think about this episode the less I like it.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by charybdis1966 »

marlboro wrote:This may have already been mentioned... magnum goes backstage and discovers that the singers dressing room has been ransacked, he tells the policeman watching the door "It's ok - I'm a private eye." as he slips past him.
I've just finished watching this and to me it sounds like TM says: "It's ok, I'm a friend".

Now I shouldn't really like this episode as I'm no jazz fan and I tend not to like love-lorn main character based stories, unless they're being played for comic effect, like "Tropical Madnesss" and yet it wasn't so bad. The female guest star wasn't annoying (and after a gut load of Kathleen Kennedy I was happy not to see the brillo-pad headed harpie on screen) and the downbeat tone of the story made for a compelling contrast.

Even though I read that Alexis would get killed in the car crash it came earlier than I thought it would.

The long, pull back shot after the crash with the solo jazz trumpet reminded me of the ending shot of one of the Dirty Harry films, can't remember which one though. :?
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#41 Post by Doc Ibold »

[/quote]

Now I shouldn't really like this episode as I'm no jazz fan and I tend not to like love-lorn main character based stories, unless their being played for comic effect, like "Tropical Madnesss" and yet it wasn't so bad. The female guest star wasn't annoying (and after a gut load of Kathleen Kennedy I was happy not to see the brillo-pad headed harpie on screen) and the downbeat tone of the story made for a compelling contrast. [/quote]

Do you mean Kathleen Lloyd?

:)

I didn't mind the Carol character. She's a reminder of the things that Magnum does when he pulls them and she reminds him of it (And its pretty true, sad to say)

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by charybdis1966 »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Now I shouldn't really like this episode as I'm no jazz fan and I tend not to like love-lorn main character based stories, unless their being played for comic effect, like "Tropical Madnesss" and yet it wasn't so bad. The female guest star wasn't annoying (and after a gut load of Kathleen Kennedy I was happy not to see the brillo-pad headed harpie on screen) and the downbeat tone of the story made for a compelling contrast. [/quote]

Do you mean Kathleen Lloyd?

:)

I didn't mind the Carol character. She's a reminder of the things that Magnum does when he pulls them and she reminds him of it (And its pretty true, sad to say)[/quote]

Ha, you got me there Doc :lol:

Now why did I think of the film producer rather than the annoying female MPI guest star ? I do so wish they'd stuck with Patty McCormack.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#43 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I think I'm in the minority that liked this episode. What really made it a good one for me was that it gave great character depth to TC. It gave a reasoning as to why his marriage may have fallen apart and why he rarely got to see his kids. I found it a little odd that the fuglehorn player was playing during the conversation with Magnum, but it's logical that he was trying to stay out of it and kept trying to mind his buisness by playing the horn. I thought it was really great plot twist when we learned that Alexis was the one that was dealing drugs. She went from a victim being chased to someone TC and Magnum wouldn't condone and Roger Mosley's expressions in that scene were great. Alexis steering the car off of the cliff was also a great open question because we don't know if she meant for the car to actually go off of the road or just get the men to stop shooting at the Ferrari. I thought they did great with making it a pretty emotional episode.

DDD
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#44 Post by DDD »

Early on in the episode, Higgins is quizzing Magnum about what Magnum may have on loan from Robin Masters when Higgins mentions a telescope. Higgins says it is a 500 mm C-70. Magnum says it is in a closet by the frig. Higgins finds it but we don't see it at all well. Later, as Higgins and Alexis are wrapping up the inventory, we see a telescope with a blue tube. Most likely this is a Super C-8 introduced by Celestron in 1983. It is a scope suitable for astronomy and not for observing clients in divorce cases. It has a focal length greater than 500 mm. It would be heavy and unwieldy for PI field work. Perhaps Magnum had astronomy as a hobby?

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Milton Collins »

I really don't care for this episode whatsoever, a 6 for me.

- I love TC but just felt he was pretty gullible to hook up with Alex again. He's smarter than that even though he loved her.

- The guy playing the trumpet or flugelhorn or what ever it was SUCKED! That was one of the most annoying scenes of the series when he kept playing it when Magnum was trying to talk to him at His club.

- Did like the flashbacks to Nam, seemed realistic from what I've seen on TV (wasn't alive during Viet Nam so don't know from experience.)

- Was it really that hard to see that Alex was bad news? Maybe it's just to make the episode work but I liked how TM sniffed her out right from the beginning, seemed pretty obvious to me.

I just didn't enjoy this episode at all, worst one of this season in my book!