6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 97

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Are you guys telling me that two different characters wear a "hot dog shirt" (a "hot dog shirt"?) in two different episodes, some four years apart!? Is that what you are telling me??

LOL! God, I love this show! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#12 Post by N1095A »

I hate to burst the "hot dog shirt" bubble here, but it appears upon further investigation that Lloyd DeWitt's Hot Dog shirt is a different one than Rick's. Lloyd's has epulets, and a different design. No krout or mustard on Rick's, and the hot dogs are smaller, but there are more of them.

I don't know if this makes it more or less funny. Obviously someone in wardrobe had a hot dog shirt fetish. I didn't know there were so many different hot dog shirts on the market. Where would you even go to buy a hot dog shirt?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

N1095A wrote:Obviously someone in wardrobe had a hot dog shirt fetish.
LOL!

I can understand why Lloyd had one on, given that he had a "hot dog stand on the North Shore", but why in the world was Rick wearing one? Even in 1980, that shirt must have looked ridiculous!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#14 Post by N1095A »

IslandHopper wrote:Well said James. The scene at the convention where Luther makes fun of Lloyd DeWitt's "Hot Dog" shirt was pretty funny. Oddly enough Rick can be seen wearing a very similar shirt in a few episodes. I never thought the hot dog motif went very well with the KKC, unless of course, it was for the 4th of July.
Nah, if it were the 4th of July, TM would be off by himself somewhere in terrible distress.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sheree North tribute (YouTube)

Wow!

:shock:

She is a two-time Emmy-nominated actress, singer, and dancer. For a while she was groomed as the "New Marilyn Monroe". She even appeared on a cover of Life magazine.

She had a heck of a career, which began as a ten-year-old USO dancer in WWII!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by 308GTS »

After spending the last 6 months watching the entire series again I just grabbed this one at random. Good episode.

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole" Luther to Big Sal.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Friday’s first review from me.

[rating=8.5]

Magnum is not exactly ecstatic when Luther Gillis, with his secretary-come-girlfriend Blanche, returns to the islands to attend a P.I. convention. But when Higgins and Blanche are kidnapped, the two P.I.s are forced to team up once again. Saved by its humour…

-----

To me, the fourth season seemed to dip a bit in the middle – I know that some like them, but personally, I found ‘No More Mr. Nice Guy’, ‘Rembrandt’s Girl’ and particularly ‘Paradise Blues’ to be a bit sub par for the series. Thankfully, ‘The Return of Luther Gillis’ raises the bar a little; it’s not a series classic, but it has enough humour to keep it afloat.

Luther was, of course, introduced earlier in the season, in ‘Luther Gillis: File #521’. It’s good to see him return, it’s hard to completely dislike him. With his reappearance here, Eugene Roche seems to play him a little less hard nosed, playing him more as a loveable oaf.
There are also a number of references to ‘File #521’, not least the return of Artie Keanu, whom Magnum and Luther put away in that story.

I like how Magnum and Higgins (already arguing about the arrangements of who collects the mail) are not exactly enthusiastic to see the return of Luther, and babble and talk over each other as they try to get rid of him. Anyone would think they weren’t glad to see him!

The plot itself, to be honest, isn’t really one of the best, but as I said above, the episode has more than enough humour to save it, with some really amusing moments. I like when Luther and Magnum’s narration to events interrupts each other, and Luther’s line “Who’s Dot Matrix, and what’s she got to do with this?” always makes me laugh.
And although they didn’t make me laugh out loud, the scenes with the kidnapped Higgins and Blanche together are also amusing in their own way.

I generally enjoyed this episode more than Luther’s first outing in the series. Of course, it’s far from the last time that we encounter him on the show.

-----

Other bloopers, notes and misc.:

* On the opening trailer, the exchange of Magnum: “No!”, Luther: “Are you telling me, we’re not staying here?” Magnum: “Yes!” does not appear in the actual episode.

* When Rick and T.C. are playing tennis with Ice Pick (off-camera) to try and get information, Ice Pick’s voice is clearly not that of Elisha Cook’s (obviously, I doubt he’d turn up just to do a couple of off-camera lines).

* When Magnum is driving at night on his way to the brothel, the shot of him driving the Ferrari (possibly stock footage) shows him to be wearing a white shirt. When he enters the brothel, he is wearing a blue floral shirt.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#18 Post by Styles Bitchley »

N1095A wrote:I didn't know there were so many different hot dog shirts on the market. Where would you even go to buy a hot dog shirt?
I can't say for sure, but your best bet would have to be Bailey's Antiques and Aloha Shirts.

I bought a super-funky Reyn Spooner from the '70s in this aloha shirt museum when I was in Waikiki.

If they can't find a hot-dog print aloha shirt, nobody can!

Anyone else been to this cool shop?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

brunoffrance
Captain

shirts.... ridiculous ?

#19 Post by brunoffrance »

Sure, I ve seen really ridicoulous hawaian shirts in Waikiki ( but the hot dog is the top one...) but, curiously, wearing that there is not so ridiculous we think...
I try to wear mines ( in France) during summer seasons, and I can say, sometimes I feel ridiculous... and not in Waikiki. All people wear that and in France ( or in Europe) you 're like an ufo....
I've bought in Hawaii, an Elvis shirt ( blue hawaii ) and an Harley Davidson hawaii shirt too( with Aloha tower, ula girls, leis and motorcycles on it ) so I prefer not thinking the people reactions when I 'll wear them....

About this episode, 7 around the sunday familly table ( my daughter is missing... after deciding to see me no more... ) and the vote was 7,75... and I 've noted 7,5....
Laughing good moments but the end seems to be not well made as how Magnum was going to find "Hot dog" sale site, where Higgings and the secretary were, helped them.... to come back to the main action with luther.... Too much....

Bruno.
Very american 4 a french...

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: shirts.... ridiculous ?

#20 Post by Styles Bitchley »

brunoffrance wrote:in France ( or in Europe) you 're like an ufo....
LMFAO! So true! In Hawaii, it's so cool to see how normal it looks. Everywhere else it seems bizarre - maybe Vegas is an exception.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Coops »

Even though Luther says, "..and the butler." a million times I still laughed at every single one of them.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by steveadl »

308GTS wrote:
"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole" Luther to Big Sal.
Just watched this one again, such a funny episode!

Love the line above, really cracked me up!

Also loved this one:

Higgins (trying to cut through rope as Blanch tells stories): Almost finished. Keep talking. Another 5 minutes and you'll probably have him catatonic, along with me.

Honolulu Lulu
Lieutenant

#23 Post by Honolulu Lulu »

This is one of our family favorites. Watching Luther bluster his way through the search for and rescue of Blanche and "The Butler" is hilarious! This episode also includes one my boys' favorite lines when Luther says to Magnum: "Sorry! I forgot my loin cloth and spear!" :lol:
Rack em up!

burny
Commander

#24 Post by burny »

"put down the pan"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This is totally my opinion...but as I stated in the other Luther Gillis episode...I can't stand him! He's loud-mouthed, hot-headed, slobby, and sometimes not real intelligent. :x

So how do I feel about this episode...well, the title ("The Return of Luther Gillis") says it all for me. :wink: Oh no!! :roll:

However, the first Luther episode is somewhat better than this one (although I dislike both). In the first one he's searching for his daughter and that's the one serious or good part of the episode. However, in this one he supposedly is trying to find his long-time secretary Blanche (who's been kidnapped along with Higgins)--who he's always planned to marry. But, at the end he "destroys" that poor woman and leaves her devastated at the altar--so he could go back to the wet, crowded, dirty St. Louis and pretend he's Sam Spade (and not very convincingly). :(

I'm sorry but in my opinion this totally proves Luther is a loser and a total punk! I disliked the character of Luther Gillis before...now I pity him as well as dislike him, to do that to a woman who'd stood by him since '53! :evil: That's just plain terrible and low-down.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"