6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 87

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by MaximRecoil »

James J. Walters wrote:Ah, so he does have a Walther PPK.

So, Colt .45 primary, Walther PPK and Pocket 9 backup.

The Star Model B in "China Doll" doesn't seem so out of place now. It wasn't his, it was Mr. Masters (or Higgins'). Magnum knew he was probably going to have to shoot Choi, as Choi, being an assassin and all, wasn't going to go down easy. The ballistics on the Star Model B would totally throw off Tanaka/McGarrett and company. ;)
LOL

And after shooting Choi with the Star Model B—to further befuddle the cops—he left the Star Model BM on the ground at the scene.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Frodoleader »

Noticed that in the dock scene with the longshoremen, one of the local tough guys standing behind TM is wearing a t-shirt that says "Everyone gets lei'd in Hawai'i"

:D
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#23 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Frodoleader wrote:Noticed that in the dock scene with the longshoremen, one of the local tough guys standing behind TM is wearing a t-shirt that says "Everyone gets lei'd in Hawai'i"

:D
Love it! :D
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

Watched this the other day. Never noticed before that Agatha apparently keeps a large stock of chickens, pheasants, and ducks in her yard at her house!

Also, really love this narration from Magnum:

Magnum: Once, when I was a kid, three older guys decided to beat me up for no apparent reason. I teld my own until a fourth showed up. And from that day on, I vowed that three was my limit, particularly when I didn't know what I was fighting about.

Wise words!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by zebra3 »

Wow, after the last few episodes I've seen from season four, I was beginning to get bored with the series. I wanted a good classic Magnum episode; car chase, fight scene, banter between Rick, TC, and Higgins, and maybe a shootout.
I got it.
And from the looks of things, the next few episodes will be similar.

I also noticed the lockpick thing and the fact that he drove there in the Ferrari and needed to hitch a ride home.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by steveadl »

Enjoyed the scene with TM down by the dock. When they tell him he's going for a swim - his hang dog expression, and drooped head as he slowly plods to the edge then tosses himself in without being forced. Classic! :lol:

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#27 Post by miltontheripper »

I think this is one of the best episodes of season four and of the whole show. It had great action including an awesome one on one fight scene between Magnum and Eric. Along with the action, it was really funny as well. Higgins dressed as a samurai was good in the beginning and Rick dressed as one of the school girls in the play has always cracked me up! Not to mention the ending with him singing that pirate king song, hilarious! I like this episode beause it had a good mystery for TM to solve as the overall theme, I think these ones are always really good!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by MaiTaiMan »

J.J. Walters wrote:Watched this the other day. Never noticed before that Agatha apparently keeps a large stock of chickens, pheasants, and ducks in her yard at her house!

Also, really love this narration from Magnum:

Magnum: Once, when I was a kid, three older guys decided to beat me up for no apparent reason. I teld my own until a fourth showed up. And from that day on, I vowed that three was my limit, particularly when I didn't know what I was fighting about.

Wise words!
I know...I never really noticed the chickens and ducks in Agatha's yard before. But, going back through the whole series again this time, I noticed that too. It's rather funny as well as out of place, in my opinion...as I do not see Agatha as the type to go out and feed/mess with chickens. Messy and very poopy animals...not exactly what I see her having as pets. :shock:

Magnum's words of advise are so true, but funny! Three was his limit, huh. :lol:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Sisophous »

This is one of those episodes I did not enjoy the first time I viewed it but on a second look was quite good. Kay Lenz appearance is what really stood out. She played the role of the widowed wife in the 1976 TV miniseries, Rich Man Poor Man with Nick Nolte. Although seven years passed since Rich Man Poor Man was shot I noticed her voice had changed a lot. It was a lot deeper and raspy than when she was younger.

Higgens was also surly the entire episode and not very likable. Also, a minor thing I noticed, the entrance to the estate by the front gate was much smaller than in other episodes. It seems the director tried to make it appear larger than in the actual residence but they somehow did not try to make it appear larger in this episode. It is shown for a brief few seconds when Magnum is rushing to the estate to alert everyone of the assassination plot.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by MagnumILWU »

http://youtu.be/lru_kgkb6x8 Take a look at Kay Lenz from the 1984 video 'Infatuation', by Rod Stewart!
"pickled egg please"

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Sisophous »

Wow, thanks, that 80s music is haunting. I was only age 19 when that song came out. If you hadn't told me that is Kay Lenz I would never have known.

It's kind of odd how they made Kay Lenz out to be a sexual goddess as she entered the 80s. That is not how she came across early in her career. She was portrayed more as cheery and bubbly but not at all a sex symbol at the time. Unlike a Farrah Fawcett who personified the sex symbol of the 70s.

I enjoyed the simple 1973 romantic film Breezy which stars Kay Lenz (age 19 at the time playing the role of a 17 year-old) and William Holden (age 54). It's worth checking out.

snp389
Captain

#32 Post by snp389 »

Cool episode!!
Very clever plot. The fight scene between TSM and Eric is one of the best in the whole series.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by MagnumILWU »

You do that that the actor who plays Eric, is Robert Mitchum's son Christopher!
"pickled egg please"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

Re: Let the Punishment Fit the Crime (4.17)

#34 Post by Seaver41 »

back to rotation viewing............regarding the whole sniper on the hill and fight........why didn't he go back to the Ferrari? that wasn't written/edited well the fact he walked and hitchhiked. Yeah I get he had the concussion, but even going slow was a better alternative to the one they fed us.

Watching shows from this era and before, you can see the lack of quality control of detail. The internet has led to the improvement of the product over the years........sites like this picking apart flubs/flaws of movies and tv. Also, you would have to include the technological improvements in filming that make scenes easier to edit.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Let the Punishment Fit the Crime (4.17)

#35 Post by marlboro »

Definitively something a bit different this time out. The fourth season seems a little more experimental than the first three.

I agree with the posters above that the explanation as to why magnum coudn't just drive his own car back was poorly handled. A simple line of dialog such as "I could barely see straight, so there was no way I was getting behind the wheel of a Ferrari" would have been sufficient.

The highlight of the episode was the fight scene. Very well done. I am a big fan of the The Wild Wild West television series, and it has spoiled me for exciting fight choreography. This was the best fight scene in Magnum so far. I wonder why there haven't been more? Selleck was clearly athletic enough to pull it off.

Rutledal wrote:Sir Cedric was involved in talks surrounding the, at the time, future exchange of Hong Kong between England and China. Eric and Sally was part of a group who preferably saw that Hong Kong remained under the British crown.
A minor point, but I think the terrorist group actually wanted to make sure the handover took place.

One confusing aspect for me: what the heck did the kid playing on TC's Pop Warner football team have to do with the terrorists? Magnum made a big deal of that clue, but they never explained anything about it at all.