6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 87

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Italian Ice wrote:I did have trouble understanding the plot of the story, probably because of the time it took place. I don't know why they were out to kill Sir Cedric, and what their connection was, as well as the dragon gang Eric belonged to. Just like Past Tense, I couldn't follow the plot.
As I understood it, Sir Cedric was involved with some peace talks, which Eric and Sally (presumably belonging to some terrorist group) were determined to stop. Sally used the cover that Eric had got mixed up with a religuous cult, allowing her to get close to Magnum and stay on the Estate while he searched for Eric.
Sally was the backup - if Eric failed to kill Sir Cedric, she would do it on the Estate.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#12 Post by Rutledal »

Sir Cedric was involved in talks surrounding the, at the time, future exchange of Hong Kong between England and China. Eric and Sally was part of a group who preferably saw that Hong Kong remained under the British crown.
Jay-Firestorm wrote: * I’m curious why T.C. isn’t forced to join Rick in performing the ‘The Little Maids From School’. We initially see them going through the motions, but after that, it is only Rick who is roped into performing it, even though Higgins is still missing two performers. I wonder if Roger E. Mosley objected to it or something? Just a thought.
T.C. tells Rick he made an arrangement with Higgins to cover security in Magnum's absence instead of appearing in the play.

Also a great little detail, when Magnum jumps in the water you can see the apple that one of the men threw in the water earlier.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Paging MaximRecoil, paging MaximRecoil...

Someone sent me an email saying that Magnum didn't use a Walter PPK in this episode. He said it was a "Detonics Pocket 9", "a gun that was built in the 80's but the company went out of business and the design was never picked up by anyone else."

What do you think?

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by Rutledal »

I actually think he is correct, when you bring it up the gun is much "squarer" than a Walter PPK, much like this Detonics Pocket 9.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#15 Post by rubber chicken »

Here's a few more pics if that helps any:

Image Image

I'm not a handgun expert, but it looks to me like a Detonics Pocket 9. The trigger guard and curve below the muzzle (if that's the correct term) are distinctive.

Detonics Pocket 9s were used in Miami Vice. There certainly were a lot of guns in that show, it's internet movie firearms database page is huge, and that's just for the second season! Crocket used a Detonics Pocket 9 in the first season.

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#16 Post by Rutledal »

After seeing the first pic RC posted I am 100% confident that it's a Detonics Pocket 9.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by MaximRecoil »

Note the ambidextrous safety/decocker and the recurved trigger guard (as well as the chunkier design). Is there a clearer picture available? I don't have the DVD so I can't check for myself, but judging from those screenshots, I agree that it is a Detonics Pocket 9 (it is definitely not a Walther PPK).

For such a small pistol, the Pocket 9 was a powerhouse. 9mm Parabellum is a major increase in power compared to the .32 ACP and .380 ACP chamberings of typical pocket autos (such as the PPK). However, these things were blowback operation, which is kind of ridiculous for a 9mm in a small pistol format (technically it was a chamber-ring delayed blowback system, combined with an excessively heavy recoil spring, but that's not a particularly effective method). Due to this, recoil was excessive and parts failure was common.

BTW, Detonics is still in business (though I don't believe they make the Pocket 9 anymore). They are most famous for their 1911-derivative "Combat Master", which along with the Star Model PD and the Charter Arms Bulldog, were popular compact big bore handguns for concealed carry in the 1970s.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks everybody. You guys certainly know your guns!

So, did Magnum ever use a Walter PPK? Did the Pocket 9 ever show up again on the show?

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MaximRecoil »

James J. Walters wrote:Thanks everybody. You guys certainly know your guns!

So, did Magnum ever use a Walter PPK? Did the Pocket 9 ever show up again on the show?
In season three's "The Big Blow", Magnum has a Walther PPK in an ankle holster:

Not only can the gun be visually identified as a Walther PPK, but Magnum also directly stated that it was a Walther PPK in that episode.

I don't know off the top of my head if there were any other appearances of the Walther PPK as Magnum's gun (though there were plenty of appearances of Walther PPKs in general), nor if there were any other appearances of the Detonics Pocket 9.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah, so he does have a Walther PPK.

So, Colt .45 primary, Walther PPK and Pocket 9 backup.

The Star Model B in "China Doll" doesn't seem so out of place now. It wasn't his, it was Mr. Masters (or Higgins'). Magnum knew he was probably going to have to shoot Choi, as Choi, being an assassin and all, wasn't going to go down easy. The ballistics on the Star Model B would totally throw off Tanaka/McGarrett and company. ;)

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by MaximRecoil »

James J. Walters wrote:Ah, so he does have a Walther PPK.

So, Colt .45 primary, Walther PPK and Pocket 9 backup.

The Star Model B in "China Doll" doesn't seem so out of place now. It wasn't his, it was Mr. Masters (or Higgins'). Magnum knew he was probably going to have to shoot Choi, as Choi, being an assassin and all, wasn't going to go down easy. The ballistics on the Star Model B would totally throw off Tanaka/McGarrett and company. ;)
LOL

And after shooting Choi with the Star Model B—to further befuddle the cops—he left the Star Model BM on the ground at the scene.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Frodoleader »

Noticed that in the dock scene with the longshoremen, one of the local tough guys standing behind TM is wearing a t-shirt that says "Everyone gets lei'd in Hawai'i"

:D
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#23 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Frodoleader wrote:Noticed that in the dock scene with the longshoremen, one of the local tough guys standing behind TM is wearing a t-shirt that says "Everyone gets lei'd in Hawai'i"

:D
Love it! :D
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

Watched this the other day. Never noticed before that Agatha apparently keeps a large stock of chickens, pheasants, and ducks in her yard at her house!

Also, really love this narration from Magnum:

Magnum: Once, when I was a kid, three older guys decided to beat me up for no apparent reason. I teld my own until a fourth showed up. And from that day on, I vowed that three was my limit, particularly when I didn't know what I was fighting about.

Wise words!

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by zebra3 »

Wow, after the last few episodes I've seen from season four, I was beginning to get bored with the series. I wanted a good classic Magnum episode; car chase, fight scene, banter between Rick, TC, and Higgins, and maybe a shootout.
I got it.
And from the looks of things, the next few episodes will be similar.

I also noticed the lockpick thing and the fact that he drove there in the Ferrari and needed to hitch a ride home.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."