2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 114

nha trang
Vice Admiral

great episode!

#31 Post by nha trang »

Wow, this was an excellent episode for being Magnum-lite!

I had seen bits of this one on tv and so I was dreading watching the DVD episode, but once I fully understood the story, I was taken in and it was a very enjoyable episode!

Isn't that mansion one we've seen before, and in fact, is Sir Alec's residence not the same as the druglords? Looked the same to me, but I'm sure you guys can clear that up in a hurry.

I rated it a 9.0 but I am trying to save the 9.5 and 10.0 ratings...

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This episode was very strange and bizarre...and somewhat sad and depressing, especially for Higgins. :(

I've never really cared for this one much...it's by no means the worst episode or one I greatly dislike, it's just odd and also downbeat. :?

The plot was interesting...as an old agent friend of Higgins pretends he is Sherlock Holmes, and uses Higgins as Watson while trying to prove a friend had been murdered. I love Sherlock Holmes, and have all the complete works of him by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. So, the plot idea was pretty cool to me.

However, I didn't really like how they played out the plot idea...I guess it was the fact that his friend ended up being truly insane, and had to spend his last days locked up in some sanitorium. I don't particularly care for sad or depressing endings...and this episode did not end very humorously or happy. It definitely was one of the more serious ones for Higgins.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#33 Post by miltontheripper »

zebra3 wrote:I find it difficult to swallow the episodes of the series that stray from the formula; typically if I put on an episode I'm looking to see some typical Magnum fare. So this episode, until it's ending that neatly gave all the came before it meaning, dragged on for me, and there were multiple times I considered fast forwarding.

One thing I will say, John Hillerman can grow a shadow like no one else.
I agree with you Zebra3. I found this episode to be very Magnum Lite and althought Higgins past is always an interesting story, I found the plot to be fairly silly and not worthy of a Magnum episode. It was sad about Higgins friend but short of a few laughs I cant say many good things about this one.

RamblerReb
Commander

#34 Post by RamblerReb »

I liked this one a great deal, for numerous reasons: Big Holmes fan, big Patrick Macnee fan, big Higgins fan, big Jaguar fan, and, of course, big Tom-Selleck-shamelessly-mugging-in-glee-when-he-sets-up-the-hammer-in-the-wine-cellar-then-shamelessly-mugging-in-dismay-when-his-plan-fails fan.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

RamblerReb wrote:big Tom-Selleck-shamelessly-mugging-in-glee-when-he-sets-up-the-hammer-in-the-wine-cellar-then-shamelessly-mugging-in-dismay-when-his-plan-fails fan.
LOL!! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

mandolabar
Captain

#36 Post by mandolabar »

I've rediscovered Magnum, and I"m watching through the series with my family...and this episode is my kids' absolute favorite. It's kind of neat to have teens (and one pre-teen) who like Magnum (and the Avengers; and old 40s horror movies; etc.). Raisin' 'em right!
:wink:

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#37 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

This really is an oddball episode. Another vote here for the Jag. It really is the quintessential Higginsmobile - it fits him like a glove.

snp389
Captain

#38 Post by snp389 »

I reckon this a great show. Somewhat uncanny, and certainly different from the usual style of the show, but it draws the viewer further and further into it, evry time you watch it.
JQH never fails to impress and intrigue. His caring for his dear friend David is especially poingnant. John Hillerman is a very gifted actor, and this episode perfectly demonstrates this. I actually found that, as he had not shaved, and the '5 o'clock shadow' deepens, he actually appears younger looking.
I love the 1976 feel through the artwork, furniture etc. Excellent attention to detail by the Art Dept of the show!!
My own father personally knew Patrick Macnee during the 70's when Macnee travelled to Australia a lot. My father said he was a real gentleman, and loved to laugh.

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

Re: Holmes Is Where the Heart Is (4.18)

#39 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

Wow! Absolutely one of the best episode of the entire series, probably among the top 5 best episodes.
My rate is 10. It's about friendship, loyalty and affection. I like how Higgins takes care of his friend and makes the right thing to help him at the end. And we can also appreciate the outstanding performances by Patrick Macnee and John Hillerman. The dramatic plot is perfect and the sub-plot is quite funny. Magnum, almost like Wile E. Coyote, uses elaborate plans trying to enter Higgins' office. I love when Magnum knocks on the window of the office and Higgins closes the screen instead opening it.
And now some locations:
The funeral scene was shot at the 'Oahu Cemetery' (2162 Nuuanu Avenue). This is exactly the same place of the funeral scene occurred in the 3rd season episode 'Flashback'. This cemetery was also used as location in 'Lost'.
This is the real temple-shaped funerary monument seen in the episode.
ImageImage
When Higgins leaves the estate to reach the opium den, he passes in Koko Head Park Road, near the scenic point along Kalanianaole Hwy, and then in North Pauahi Street (in Chinatown of course).
ImageImage
The opium den is (fictionally) located in a building between Smith Street and North King Street(in front of the white building in the pic). That building doesn't exist anymore. The new complex is a multilevel car parking.
ImageImageImage
And what about the 'Universal Motors' label on the plate? Maybe just a little joke of the Universal Studios producers? :)
(maybe a possible flub:I guess the bumper sticker reads '75' but the episode takes place in '76. Maybe the car insurance is just expired or what? :D
Please explain me what does that sticker mean).
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Sam »

The bumper sticker in an inspection sticker and the Universal Plate holder was from an actual dealer.

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#41 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

OK Sam, thank you so much for the explanation. In Italy we don't use these kinds of stickers.
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

RamblerReb
Commander

#42 Post by RamblerReb »

Ah, the old XJs were such beautiful cars. Too bad they were such pieces of junk under that lovely sheet metal. Rust-prone, unreliable, and I never met a Lucas wiring harness that successfully carried an amp of current.

But beautiful.
I know how this looks, but I can explain!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Seaver41 »

I liked this one.........a departure from the norm with Watson, errr, Higgins. Simple, enjoyable stand alone episode.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#44 Post by marlboro »

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. I actually wish there had been a bit less Magnum in it as to allow for more screen time for Hillerman and Macnee. Blasphemy, I know.

From WIkipedia:

Macnee is an avid nudist, sometimes to the dismay of his friends and co-stars. He once invited Honor Blackman to watch him play tennis in the nude, an invitation she declined.
:oops:
"Oh...my...GOD!"

Maybe that's why Higgins never wants to let Magnum use the tennis court.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by terryfromkerry »

Wow Marboro !

Interesting revelation but disturbing visual of John Steed / Patrick MacNee dressed only in Bowler Hat and an umbrella. As a kid I loved the series "The Avengers". Honour Blackman was beautiful and obviously more discerning than Mr MacNee gave her credit for.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".