2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 114

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Holmes Is Where the Heart Is (4.18)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Holmes Is Where the Heart Is (4.18). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 3/8/1984
The mystery is anything but elementary when a former British secret agent, David Worth, arrives in Hawaii and claims to be Sherlock Holmes on the case of a murdered friend. Higgins indulges Worth's investigation, even going along with being called "Watson", despite suspecting that his friend is completely insane.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Another stellar episode from Season 4. Hillerman/Higgins takes center stage and is joined by British star Patrick Macnee (The Avengers). Watching Macnee and Hillerman play Holmes and Watson is fun times ten! And I love how this episode takes place in the past (1976).

Don't miss this one!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

I also enjoyed this episode, despite the fact that Rick and TC didn't really have major roles. I also prefer the Jaguar as "Robin 2" as opposed to the Audi. This episode is virtually flub free with the exception of one rather curious or shocking flub. :shock:

The flub I am referring to occurs after Magnum has finally made his way into the study. Just prior to the flub, we see Higgins being held captive by Victor and his thugs and they are about to burn Higgins' hand with the flame. As they force Higgins' hand closer to the flame, Higgins narrates, and specifically says "As they moved the flame closer to my hand I began to recognize the feeling I hadn't had since my combat days... a numbing sickly sweet feeling slipped through me." AT THIS POINT Magnum takes over the narration where Higgins left off (you can see Higgins' narration was from the typed page), and the scene cuts to the typed written page Magnum is reading/narrating from. The rest of the page Magnum is reading/narrating from specifically says "But if I could stall them, I could buy my old friend some valuable time." THE FLUB OCCURS when Magnum begins reading/narrating, and instead of reading what was on the page before him (beginning with "But if I could stall them...), he added "I knew I had no information to give them" and then continued with what was on the typed page. Where did the "I knew I had no information to give them" come from? :? This is surprising because his narration adds words that aren't on the typed page he is supposedly reading from. :o In short, Magnum's narration differs slightly with what is actually on the typed written page. I imagine that the narration was added after this scene was shot.

There is a possible second flub, but it is too close to call. It occurs after the funeral of Sir Alec, when David approaches Higgins and shakes his hand, which is supposed to take place in 1976. Just as they shake hands you will see a car, which I believe is a Cadillac Seville drive away. At first glance I thought the car was more recent than 1976, however, the Cadillac Seville did have the body type as shown in the scene with Higgins and David from 1975 through 1979. So, this one's anybody's guess. For the sake of argument, I will say this is not a flub as there is not enough evidence to show that the car is a 1977, 1978 or 1979. You would think that this episode would be replete with flubs especially considering that most of the episode took place in 1976. However, from what I could tell everything seemed just as it should be.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah I noticed that "double narration", too. It appears to be intentionally, though - Magnum is reading the text, but he also interjects his own exposition into it. Confusing.

I really love that last scene, with Magnum and Higgins in the study. Major emotional punch. You really feel for Higgins and his longtime friend David Worth. And that last line with Higgins saying simply, "Watson" (then smiling). Great stuff!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by lutherhgillis »

I also thought the the Cadillac was more recent than 1976. I noticed this years ago and it stuck out to me. My memory was more reliable then...

This is a great episode. I like how it develops the Higgins character. I also like how it gives some insight to the estate pre-Magnum. The Holmes & Watson action is priceless. I also appreciate how the show paid tribute to the WW2 soldiers. Insanity was an unfortunate outcome of that war as well as Vietnam. The show was very respectful to our soldiers. It was one of the few Hollywood endeavors to give positive treatment to those who fought...

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

In France, maybe it's the fate, but Higgins' french voice is made by Jacques Ebner. Amazingly, he's known for Dr Watson's french voice too in the Sherlock Holmes serie starring David Burke and Edward Hardwicke.

Jacques Ebner, french voice for both Higgins and Watson :

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#7 Post by rubber chicken »

That's an interesting fact Jean-Claude. I'm actually going through Granada Television's The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes series right now. Though I hadn't got far enough to find out that David Burke left and Edward Hardwicke took over the role of Watson.

Recently I saw the episode The Blue Carbuncle which I'd highly recommend to any Sherlock Holmes fan. It would be great to watch at Christmas time.

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#8 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

It's a great serie I bought too. I prefer watching and listening to the french version (not the english version like I do for other series, because the events are so complicated sometimes that it's easier to follow them in french) and it's a great pleasure to listen to Higgins french voice as Watson french voice.
The fact Edward Hardwicke had substituted David Burke was easier to accept for us with Higgins french voice remaining !
BTW, my favorite ones are "The problem of Thor Bridge" and "The devil's foot".

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#9 Post by rubber chicken »

Ahh, I haven't seen either of those, I'll be looking forward to them.

wilko
Captain

#10 Post by wilko »

One of my favorite episodes and this must rank among the all-time best 10 or 20 Magnum PI shows.

Tuan Vu
Captain

#11 Post by Tuan Vu »

I just watched this episode today, and thought it was great. Magnum, p.i. would not have been the same without John Hillerman. Higgins appeared to have lived just as interesting a life as Magnum!

This episode had a great mystery with a few twists that kept me interested all the way through, good humor and a great story about ,friendship. Very touching episode.

Magnums Little Voice
Lieutenant Commander

#12 Post by Magnums Little Voice »

What a great episode this was. Very well written and done, and some brilliant acting on the part of Hillerman.
Tho Magnum is my favourite character having this episode almost devoted Higgins was great, really felt for him and David. Didn't want it to end!

Loved the Robin 2 Jag also.

First Class :D

Tuan Vu
Captain

#13 Post by Tuan Vu »

Magnums Little Voice:

I agree. This episode was well titled: "Holmes is Where the Heart Is," because it had a lot of heart.

Higgins patiently puts up with his old friend's mentally-disturbed behavior and delusions, and in the end Higgins does what is right by turning him in even though it looked to David as if Higgins was betraying him.

I know "Magnum, p.i." is just a television program, but sometimes I learned a lot about things like friendship and loyalty and duty by watching this show.

Magnums Little Voice
Lieutenant Commander

#14 Post by Magnums Little Voice »

Hey Tuan Vu,
It seems alot of people like this episode, and your right about Higgins putting up with Davids delusions, and doing it in such a kind a caring manner, because as we know Higgins can be one at times for not showing caring emotions if he thinks someone is having him on, it was great to see the softer side and really draw you in to the characters they were playing.

Elamentery Watson!! :lol:

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MPS »

I just watched this last night and really enjoyed it. John Hillerman is great as Higgins and I enjoyed seeing more of him in this episode. Just watching him get a bit less "Higgins like" as the episode progressed was cool. Who knew there really was such an intense, caring person under the Higgins facade? Seeing his devotion to an old friend was a nice change, since the story line typically revolves around TM's friendships. Way to go, Higgie baby! :D
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?