2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 114

Derek
Commander

Re: Holmes Is Where the Heart Is (4.18)

#61 Post by Derek »

Fantastic episode. Well delivered by "Holmes" and "Watson", nice side story about Magnum trying to find out what Higgins is up to, but in this one, Magnum just had a minor role. Came across as somewhat dark, or at least melancholic, compared to other episodes. Well done, and it shows the versatility of the show - every now and then, they do something completely different, and it still works!
I know what you're thinking. And you're right.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Milton Collins »

I cant believe I am writing this but I am retracting my previous rating of 5.0 just awful and going to say this is a fun episode! If you take it is a "far out of the norm" Magnum and just accept it for what it is its actually quite enjoyable and very funny! David making Higgy the Watson to his Holmes is pretty darn funny along with TM constantly trying to get into the study to see what Higgins is up to combine for a good comedic episode. I love Higgins I shaved face and intense fervor to complete the story uninterrupted and actually felt myself feeling sorry for him when Magnum finally broke in and read his unfinished work. Not an epic episode but wish I could change my vote to more middle of the road.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#63 Post by BWheelz54 »

This episode is one of my top favorites. For starters, I'm just a big fan of Higgins - there just seems so much behind that very quiet character. I fell in love with the Sherlock Holmes stories when I was in junior high, and I remain a sucker for anything Holmes-related. At first, the Holmes and Watson vibe might feel a bit like a gimmick, but then I really get into this episode when I consider the dynamic between Higgins and his struggling friend. Seems like Higgins is having to struggle with the responsibilities of duty and friendship, real friendship, through this flashback, and that he's still trying to understand if he did the right thing when he's sitting behind that typewriter. I think that back story relates to his relationship with Magnum, which brings that flashback into the episode's present time. I guess that's my cliff-notes on this episode, and maybe why I always think about re-watching this one.

But I remain confused by how Magnum acts in this episode. I really wonder what the writers were thinking. Why do they have Magnum act like such a jerk? There are times when I do feel that the character of Magnum become a victim of a stereotype, as if maybe production or demands of putting a show together got too urgent and some shortcuts were taken (oh, please forgive the thought, Magnumverse). I don't know. Just don't know why Magnum was presented in this way during this episode.

That said, this story is about Higgins, and I forgive this strange Magnum. After typing this, I think I'm going to have to give this one another view over the weekend.

I give this episode 8 fig newtons out of 10.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by 308GUY »

BWheelz54 wrote: I give this episode 8 fig newtons out of 10.

:lol: LOL! Agreed! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#65 Post by MaximRecoil »

IslandHopper wrote: There is a possible second flub, but it is too close to call. It occurs after the funeral of Sir Alec, when David approaches Higgins and shakes his hand, which is supposed to take place in 1976. Just as they shake hands you will see a car, which I believe is a Cadillac Seville drive away. At first glance I thought the car was more recent than 1976, however, the Cadillac Seville did have the body type as shown in the scene with Higgins and David from 1975 through 1979. So, this one's anybody's guess. For the sake of argument, I will say this is not a flub as there is not enough evidence to show that the car is a 1977, 1978 or 1979. You would think that this episode would be replete with flubs especially considering that most of the episode took place in 1976. However, from what I could tell everything seemed just as it should be.
In a different scene there are two cars which didn't yet exist in 1976:

The blue car on the right-hand side of the screenshot is a first (and only) generation Ford Fairmont (1978–1983), and the blue car on the left-hand side is an eighth generation Ford Thunderbird (1980–1982).

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by K Hale »

This episode reminds me of Hemingway's words: "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#67 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

MaximRecoil wrote:In a different scene there are two cars which didn't yet exist in 1976:
I can handle a few brief background shots of cars out of period, but what bothers me is the phone Higgins uses in his study. It's obviously an 80's phone that wouldn't have been available in 1976.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by K Hale »

RamblerReb wrote:Ah, the old XJs were such beautiful cars. Too bad they were such pieces of junk under that lovely sheet metal. Rust-prone, unreliable, and I never met a Lucas wiring harness that successfully carried an amp of current.

But beautiful.
Well, that must be why he switched to an Audi.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Yes, that's exactly what I said.

It makes perfect sense for someone like Robin to choose a Jaguar in the 70's - beautiful, classy, luxurious. And equally it makes perfect sense for someone like Robin (or Higgins) to get fed up with the breakdowns and constant problems to want to later choose something like an Audi instead.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by K Hale »

That Jaguar is probably how Higgins came to be an expert on the effects of sea air on automobiles, mentioned in this episode and "The Black Orchid."
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

jeffran
Captain

#71 Post by jeffran »

One of my top ten episodes, I rated it at 9.5. While there's a tone of sadness that runs through the entire episode due to David Worth's mental state, it's still a fun Holmesian adventure. Great performances from John Hillerman and Patrick Macnee. Also an enjoyable, albeit short, scene between Magnum, Rick, and TC - a "just hanging out" scene that this show does so well. And the Jag is nice too (although I think I prefer the 1st-gen Audi 5000, but not the 2nd-gen that was in the show at this point).

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#72 Post by Lord Ickenham »

Maybe it's mentioned, but Macnee played Watson too.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherloc ... ading_Lady

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by K Hale »

Lord Ickenham wrote:Maybe it's mentioned, but Macnee played Watson too.
Macnee has played both Holmes and Watson.

Hillerman has also played Watson in “Hands of a Murderer.”
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

RamblerReb
Commander

#74 Post by RamblerReb »

K Hale wrote:

To Edward "The Equalizer" Woodward's Holmes, no less.
I know how this looks, but I can explain!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by K Hale »

RamblerReb wrote:
K Hale wrote:

To Edward "The Equalizer" Woodward's Holmes, no less.
Frankly, I thought Macnee was worlds better. I had issues with a lot of things in that movie.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!