2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 114

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Holmes Is Where the Heart Is (4.18)

#51 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was a rather odd episode. It was well acted, but seemed like it was rather slow to me. The plot to involve Magnum into the episode seemed way too forced for my tastes.

The way Magnum presumed they were playing a game when Higgins was trying to get some privacy was kind of odd. If he had wanted to be alone you'd not expect Higgins to presume they were doing some kind of game and try to break into the guest house. I also thought it was really, really odd that if Higgins knew how to contact David that he'd not be aware of him being in a sanatorium and/or that he was having his mail censored. They also never really explained how the accident tied into anything.

I thought the actual acting was really strong despite the story being kind of goofy. Like some of you, I enjoyed the flashback aspect to what the estate was like in the years prior to Magnum getting there. I think a longer episode focusing on that would've been interesting as opposed to large portions focusing on alley ways and opium dends.

EZiller
Captain

#52 Post by EZiller »

It gave it a 9. Just saw it on ENC, saw once before many years ago, couldn't recall much, other than it is one of the odder MPI episodes. Which is what I love about the series, that they occasionally did some totally out of whack stuff that really had little to do with the basic series synopsis of a PI in Honolulu.

I'm a huge Higgins fan and always enjoy when we get more background about his character. Hillerman is an incredible actor and although I personally preferred the Elmo and Paddy episodes, this is interesting to find out about life at RN in 1976, pre Magnum. I would have probably rated this even higher if I knew much about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes, much of this went a bit over my head. In fact this is an episode I ended up putting the CC on the screen to help decipher the dialogue.

I know we have an episode of TM in Hawaii pre-Higgins & RN ["Dream a Little Dream"] which is supposed to be taking place in 1979, as TM has just begun his career as a PI and is driving a VW Bug...but is there any episode that deals with how Robin M met TM and decided to bring him to RN as a security consultant, giving him a free place to live, not to mention a Ferrari to drive? Or his initial meeting with Higgins? I know the 2 part pilot covers a bit of this, but we are led to assume that TM has been at RN for a short while, although Higgins seems totally annoyed with his presence at the estate.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Little Garwood »

EZiller wrote:I'm a huge Higgins fan and always enjoy when we get more background about his character. Hillerman is an incredible actor and although I personally preferred the Elmo and Paddy episodes, this is interesting to find out about life at RN in 1976, pre Magnum. I would have probably rated this even higher if I knew much about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes, much of this went a bit over my head.
It certainly helps to have prior Sherlock Holmes knowledge as there are a few in-jokes that Holmes aficionados would appreciate.
EZiller wrote: I know we have an episode of TM in Hawaii pre-Higgins & RN ["Dream a Little Dream"] which is supposed to be taking place in 1979, as TM has just begun his career as a PI and is driving a VW Bug...but is there any episode that deals with how Robin M met TM and decided to bring him to RN as a security consultant, giving him a free place to live, not to mention a Ferrari to drive? Or his initial meeting with Higgins? I know the 2 part pilot covers a bit of this, but we are led to assume that TM has been at RN for a short while, although Higgins seems totally annoyed with his presence at the estate.
One of the things about MPI that fascinates me is attempting to fill in the timeline before the series proper began. In fact, it's discussed in the MPI Before MPI & During Five-0 thread.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

EZiller
Captain

#54 Post by EZiller »

Little Garwood wrote:
EZiller wrote:I'm a huge Higgins fan and always enjoy when we get more background about his character. Hillerman is an incredible actor and although I personally preferred the Elmo and Paddy episodes, this is interesting to find out about life at RN in 1976, pre Magnum. I would have probably rated this even higher if I knew much about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes, much of this went a bit over my head.
It certainly helps to have prior Sherlock Holmes knowledge as there are a few in-jokes that Holmes aficionados would appreciate.
EZiller wrote: I know we have an episode of TM in Hawaii pre-Higgins & RN ["Dream a Little Dream"] which is supposed to be taking place in 1979, as TM has just begun his career as a PI and is driving a VW Bug...but is there any episode that deals with how Robin M met TM and decided to bring him to RN as a security consultant, giving him a free place to live, not to mention a Ferrari to drive? Or his initial meeting with Higgins? I know the 2 part pilot covers a bit of this, but we are led to assume that TM has been at RN for a short while, although Higgins seems totally annoyed with his presence at the estate.
One of the things about MPI that fascinates me is attempting to fill in the timeline before the series proper began. In fact, it's discussed in the MPI Before MPI & During Five-0 thread.
Thanks, will check it out, sounds interesting

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#55 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

No need to know! wrote:So good episode this one, and as a huge Sherlock Holmes fan it can´t go wrong for me.
I just love Jeremy Bretts version of Holmes. I was recently in London at the museum and bought the entire series on dvd. Went home and got sick and watched the first 30 episodes in one week home from work :D
Hi No Need To Know,
I too was at the Holmes Museum at 221 B Baker Street. Originally a bank, it was reconstructed inside and out to be exactly as rendered in the Holmes stories.
It has a small mail room, where every day mail comes from all over the world asking Holmes for help! I asked one of the guides what they did with the mail, she
said they answer each one, sending back Holmes's business card.
I wonder if the estate in Hawaii gets mail for Magnum, Higgins and even the lads? I wouldn't be surprised.
Back when Dragnet and Adam-12 were on the air and even today, tourists would drop in at LA police stations asking for Sgt. Joe Friday or Pete Malloy and Jim Reed.
They were politely told Joe, or Pete and Jim were on vacation that week but they'd be sure to tell them the tourists had asked for them!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Foghorn Leghorn:
" Lookit here son, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? He scared 'em! That Rhode Island Red turned white. Then blue. Rhode Island.
Red, white, and blue. That's a joke, son. A flag waver.
You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your
eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is."
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sun May 19, 2019 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Kelley
Ensign

#56 Post by Robert Kelley »

I watched this episode last night for the first time in a while and was surprised to notice a flub I'd never noticed before. Higgins improperly calls Sir Alec Ramsey "Alex" two times in the 31 minute block on the DVD. Interestingly, in the same scene the David Worth character properly refers to him as Alec. I suspect that John Hillerman made a small slip, no one noticed at the time and they decided not to refilm it.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome aboard Robert Kelley.

I'll have to pay closer attention next time I watch this one, and see if I can spot this flub. :higgins:

Not like Higgin's OR Hillerman to make that kind of mistake normally! More proof we are ALL human, therefore subject to error.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Robert Kelley
Ensign

#58 Post by Robert Kelley »

Thanks 308Guy! I was active on some of the older Magnum boards years ago but finally decided to connect here (my screen name then was robertknyc). What a great site here! As I continue to watch the DVDs for the umpteenth time I'm sure I'll have a few more comments.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#59 Post by Doc Ibold »

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you!

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Il be watching this episode tonight. It's only fitting.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Derek
Commander

#61 Post by Derek »

Fantastic episode. Well delivered by "Holmes" and "Watson", nice side story about Magnum trying to find out what Higgins is up to, but in this one, Magnum just had a minor role. Came across as somewhat dark, or at least melancholic, compared to other episodes. Well done, and it shows the versatility of the show - every now and then, they do something completely different, and it still works!
I know what you're thinking. And you're right.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Milton Collins »

I cant believe I am writing this but I am retracting my previous rating of 5.0 just awful and going to say this is a fun episode! If you take it is a "far out of the norm" Magnum and just accept it for what it is its actually quite enjoyable and very funny! David making Higgy the Watson to his Holmes is pretty darn funny along with TM constantly trying to get into the study to see what Higgins is up to combine for a good comedic episode. I love Higgins I shaved face and intense fervor to complete the story uninterrupted and actually felt myself feeling sorry for him when Magnum finally broke in and read his unfinished work. Not an epic episode but wish I could change my vote to more middle of the road.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#63 Post by BWheelz54 »

This episode is one of my top favorites. For starters, I'm just a big fan of Higgins - there just seems so much behind that very quiet character. I fell in love with the Sherlock Holmes stories when I was in junior high, and I remain a sucker for anything Holmes-related. At first, the Holmes and Watson vibe might feel a bit like a gimmick, but then I really get into this episode when I consider the dynamic between Higgins and his struggling friend. Seems like Higgins is having to struggle with the responsibilities of duty and friendship, real friendship, through this flashback, and that he's still trying to understand if he did the right thing when he's sitting behind that typewriter. I think that back story relates to his relationship with Magnum, which brings that flashback into the episode's present time. I guess that's my cliff-notes on this episode, and maybe why I always think about re-watching this one.

But I remain confused by how Magnum acts in this episode. I really wonder what the writers were thinking. Why do they have Magnum act like such a jerk? There are times when I do feel that the character of Magnum become a victim of a stereotype, as if maybe production or demands of putting a show together got too urgent and some shortcuts were taken (oh, please forgive the thought, Magnumverse). I don't know. Just don't know why Magnum was presented in this way during this episode.

That said, this story is about Higgins, and I forgive this strange Magnum. After typing this, I think I'm going to have to give this one another view over the weekend.

I give this episode 8 fig newtons out of 10.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by 308GUY »

BWheelz54 wrote: I give this episode 8 fig newtons out of 10.

:lol: LOL! Agreed! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#65 Post by MaximRecoil »

IslandHopper wrote: There is a possible second flub, but it is too close to call. It occurs after the funeral of Sir Alec, when David approaches Higgins and shakes his hand, which is supposed to take place in 1976. Just as they shake hands you will see a car, which I believe is a Cadillac Seville drive away. At first glance I thought the car was more recent than 1976, however, the Cadillac Seville did have the body type as shown in the scene with Higgins and David from 1975 through 1979. So, this one's anybody's guess. For the sake of argument, I will say this is not a flub as there is not enough evidence to show that the car is a 1977, 1978 or 1979. You would think that this episode would be replete with flubs especially considering that most of the episode took place in 1976. However, from what I could tell everything seemed just as it should be.
In a different scene there are two cars which didn't yet exist in 1976:

The blue car on the right-hand side of the screenshot is a first (and only) generation Ford Fairmont (1978–1983), and the blue car on the left-hand side is an eighth generation Ford Thunderbird (1980–1982).