2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 95

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re: On Face Value (4.19)

#31 Post by Sisophous »

Talia Balsam made this episode worth viewing. After her auto crash, she appears either beat up with bruises or is in shades to cover her eyes. She still looks great even with no makeup and black and blue eyes, remarkable. I found her one of the more appealing guest stars in this series, attractive and not abrasive like so many guests.

She married actor George Clooney and they later divorced after four years. I see why Clooney was attracted to her.

snp389
Captain

Re: Re:

#32 Post by snp389 »

Doc Fred wrote:snp389: "I have always felt this is one of the best episodes of the entire series.
I don't know why it appeals to me, other than I believe it to be the underlying morality and honour of TSM, and supported so strongly and fatherly by JQH."

I could not agree more.

Thanks mate!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Seaver41 »

I don't know what this does to the Magnum birthdate validity or not, but he mentioned to the gang sitting beachside that in 1956 he was 10 and went to a Tigers game in August.............

This episode never seemed to register with me long ago and even now it seemed contrived. No way they would let Magnum stay on the hook.......and I really don't see the attraction with her much like Magnum :P

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#34 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

This is an excellent episode. Those bad guys were really tough and Magnum has done it this time! Fortunately the girl healed after the accident.
The chase between the Ferrari and the Pontiac is one of the best in the entire series. A really nightmare for Thomas!

The episode starts in a really funny way, with the Private Investigator playing in the sand on the beach of the KCC, but it quickly becomes one of the most dramatic.
I love this image! :D

The car accident happened here, along Kapaa Quarry Road

They filmed at the real Kailua Police Substation (219 Kuulei Road). And he wears this shirt for the first time.
ImageImage

The bar where Magnum finds the villains is at the corner between South Hotel Street and Bethel Street, in Chinatown.

According to the RC's Locations Guide, while Magnum is driving to Emily's house he passes in front of this house. There is a junk car parked at (a Mustang, I think), and, believe it or not, that car is still there after almost 30 years!!! Check it out! :o
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#35 Post by marlboro »

Pretty good episode. I thought the crash at the beginning was a nice curve ball.

I really don't care for the Carol character. I just don't see how she really fits into the show. This is the second episode where she has lied and manipulated Magnum with near disastrous results - and he has ended up having to apologize both times. Well, maybe not apologize in "No More Mr Nice guy" but he did seem to accept the "You do it too!" defense from her. I just don't like her. And i don't like how she is just shoe horned into the show.

p.s. Rock on Higgy Baby:

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by charybdis1966 »

This was quite a good episode with one of those twists I didn't quite see.

Refreshingly there wasn't an annoying female guest star - Ms Balsam was watchable although I must be getting immune to Kathleen Kennedy's annoying presence as she didn't bother me so much - I knew what to expect from her.

Bit of trivia - Ms Balsam's dad played the Doctor Rudy in the pilot of The $6m man.

Did anyone else think that Higgins' actions during his mad conductor scene which Marlboro just put up, don't quite match up to the music ?

Also, nice how the label on the record being played is an MCA record, part of the Universal Group at the time.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by No need to know! »

This is an episode that grows on me, and really is one of my favourites of this season. It has action, and a nice warm story aswell. It begins funny at the beach with the kid who shouts "FIX IT". Talking about the sandcastle of course.

The story is nice aswell cause i just love these episodes when Higgins have a story of his own that in the end could help Magnum. And i think Talia Balsam is a very beautiful woman in every way. That helps! :P

A really nice episode with a terrific ending when Magnum gives that look.
Onion´s extra?

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re:

#38 Post by Hawaii Winds »

IslandHopper wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:IH, I've seen Blue Hawaii, but not in a LONG time. I don't remember the scene, but the IMDB has a quote from that scene that goes like this:
Kid on beach: [Seeing Elvis and Blackman kissing on beach] Can I play?
Chad Gates: I think you're a little young for this game.
Kid on beach: If I get a girl can I play with you?
Hehe, pretty funny! :)
Isn't this the scene from the Elvis movie "Paradise Hawaiian Style"?, not Blue Hawaii?

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#39 Post by Milton Collins »

lutherhgillis wrote:I never liked this episode and rank it somewhere near 'A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken'. It is fairly solid and I would definitely prefer it to any Simon & Simon or Miami Vice episode.

I bring this up to attempt to make a point. Any Magnum episode is a 'keeper' in my mind due to the general quality of the show. What I mean is this: likeable characters, strong friendships, self-effacing humor, Hawaii, Ferrari, Rich man's estate, tidal pool,... what more does one need to make a show? I would watch Magnum and Higgins sitting in lawn chairs clipping their finger nails...

Luther H Gillis
I like your overall comment! I also think this one is dead average (7.5 in my book) but I still enjoy watching because of many if not all of the reasons mentioned above. I did appreciate TM's softer side/caring for the girl he thought he hurt, nice to see that from Big Hig (as I sometimes call him) as well. I was a baby/young kid during Magnum's run and probably never saw even one episode "live" or if I did I was too young to appreciate it. But you hit the nail on the head when you said any Magnum is better than almost any other TV show, that's what makes it my fav. show ever!

Derek
Commander

#40 Post by Derek »

I just watched this episode again, I consider this a fairly good one, and some of the scenes make the whole series memorable to me. Magnum building a sandcastle, Higgins conducting an imaginary orchestra in front of the record player... the sort of stuff that makes you understand their personalities better. Also, Magnum handles the Ferrari nicely in the car chase.

Am still undecided as to how to rate this episode, will have to rewatch others for reference :)
I know what you're thinking. And you're right.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

This is one of my favorite episodes. Mad Men is coming to a close so I've been reading up on the show, I was stunned that Mona Sterling (Talia Balsalm) is Emily! And she's married to John Slattery (Roger Sterling) in real life! I've crushed on Slattery since he was Al Kahn on Homefront. Talia upgraded in the husband department in my opinion!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Milton Collins »

This one seems to grow on me with additional views. Both TM and Higgins show their more emotional side and true character which is cool, the face reading thing got a bit old but Talia Balsam was a good guest character as well. Carol almost always adds to an episode in my opinion:)

Turkey
Admiral

#43 Post by Turkey »

Ace, worth it for the scene between TM and Higgins alone, where Tomas asks if Emily can stay on the estate.
Make it two weeks.

Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

#44 Post by Big Kahuna »

"I dunno. You have to get on a freeway, the M25 or something"

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by terryfromkerry »

LOL! There was nothing low profile about being a PI in the '80's :lol: :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".