2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 95

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: On Face Value (4.19)

#46 Post by Little Garwood »

That's because everyone would expect a p.i. to blend in with the scenery! No one would think someone would tail them in a bright-red Ferrari! :D

Okay, so Thomas finally did figure it out, as seen in "Unfinished Business":

"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by K Hale »

marlboro wrote:p.s. Rock on Higgy Baby:

He does it again to Beethoven's 5th in S6 "A Little Bit of Luck, a Little Bit of Grief." Only with the stereo instead of a record player. And of course with a real orchestra in S4 "Let the Punishment Fit the Crime."
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#48 Post by brianw »

I liked this episode a lot. Good car chase, good story, and Magnum going badass in the end and wasting the bad guys. I know there were some flubs in this one. But my hangup is, how much of a coincidence is it that Magnum accidentally shoots the very vehicle that the bad guys' accomplice is driving? I mean, how did she end up right there during the high speed chase and just happens to catch Magnum's bullet? Its not like she was just some random person in the wrong place at the wrong time. Kind of a plot hole to me.

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#49 Post by Gatchaman »

This is one of my all-time favorite episodes. There are a lot of things you don’t regularly see and it really brought out the emotions in me. Anything I have to say has already been mentioned. This was a great episode in front of and behind the camera.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by T.Q. »

One of my favourites.

:magnum: :higgins:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by ENSHealy »

4.19 ON FACE VALUE
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 2
Image Image
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum: 1
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 1.5
Negotiations:
Body Count: 2 The Kiedash Brothers
Bullet wounds: 1
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI: 1.5
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 10
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/394570469

Potential magnumania usernames: Roger Thornby, Yoshio Kawatumari, The Kiedash Brothers

Squealing tires in gravel again!

Bad acting in the hospital takes away from the overall quality, especially the scene where TM tells her he is the one that shot her car. But it gets better at the estate. The tidal pool scene, as other here have commented, was great.

Is it ever explained why someone who grew up in Tidewater Virginia is such a Tigers fan?

Where is the ground floor room she is staying in?

Was it just coincidence that she was on the road there? When did she borrow the car from the Kiedash brothers? Was it just before the crash, or had she had it before? How could Carol have been so wrong about who was at the warehouse?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by eagle »

I'm watching this episode today, and I note that a couple other people commented about the same thing I noticed: "gotta love the smoking in the hospital" - lol.

"More doctors smoke Camels than any other brand."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#53 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:39 pm 4.19 ON FACE VALUE
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 2
Image Image
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum: 1
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 1.5
Negotiations:
Body Count: 2 The Kiedash Brothers
Bullet wounds: 1
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI: 1.5
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 10
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/394570469

Potential magnumania usernames: Roger Thornby, Yoshio Kawatumari, The Kiedash Brothers

Squealing tires in gravel again!

Bad acting in the hospital takes away from the overall quality, especially the scene where TM tells her he is the one that shot her car. But it gets better at the estate. The tidal pool scene, as other here have commented, was great.

Is it ever explained why someone who grew up in Tidewater Virginia is such a Tigers fan?

Where is the ground floor room she is staying in?

Was it just coincidence that she was on the road there? When did she borrow the car from the Kiedash brothers? Was it just before the crash, or had she had it before? How could Carol have been so wrong about who was at the warehouse?
Pahonu actually has two ground-floor suites she might have stayed in.

It’s well known that TS was a Tigers fan because he was born in Detroit. Perhaps the same is true of TM then he moved to the Tidewater area instead of LA like Selleck. Also, after the Senators left DC for the Twin Cities, Virginia baseball fans were out of a team. The replacement Senators stayed briefly and then left for Texas.

Sometimes fandom can be quirky and almost silly to those who don’t know the story. I grew up in the LA area, but my father was Canadian and a hockey fan, not a baseball fan. I went to my first MLB game at age 7 while visiting my uncle who lived in Pittsburgh. I became a fan almost instantly and idolized Willie Stargell. The next season they won the World Series and Stargell the MVP. Nearly 45 years later, I still follow the Bucs and have been to Dodger Stadium and several others on the west coast in the black and gold.

davko
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#54 Post by davko »

When Magnum accidentally points his weapon at the old Chinese lady in the alleyway during the final shootout, you see him really lose poise/confidence for a split second, and great acting from Selleck, as you can see he's wondering if too many accidental bystanders can get injured. This momentary wobble in confidence leads to him taking a bullet.

Which makes it all the more badass when he suddenly re-appears in the alleyway (looking like some sort of Eastwood archetype) to expunge the two villains with his gun.

Absolutely love this episode.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Little Garwood »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:04 pmSometimes fandom can be quirky and almost silly to those who don’t know the story. I grew up in the LA area, but my father was Canadian and a hockey fan, not a baseball fan. I went to my first MLB game at age 7 while visiting my uncle who lived in Pittsburgh. I became a fan almost instantly and idolized Willie Stargell. The next season they won the World Series and Stargell the MVP. Nearly 45 years later, I still follow the Bucs and have been to Dodger Stadium and several others on the west coast in the black and gold.
Pahonu, you might want to look away from this video...

youtu.be/PilAosY41eA

...such a tepid throw to the plate. Even a halfway decent arm gets that ball in to beat the slide. Ah, but sports is pain, especially to those who loathe them. :wink:

Speaking of the Tigers, I often wondered why MPI never once refrenced the Tigers winning the World Series in 1984.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#56 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:49 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:04 pmSometimes fandom can be quirky and almost silly to those who don’t know the story. I grew up in the LA area, but my father was Canadian and a hockey fan, not a baseball fan. I went to my first MLB game at age 7 while visiting my uncle who lived in Pittsburgh. I became a fan almost instantly and idolized Willie Stargell. The next season they won the World Series and Stargell the MVP. Nearly 45 years later, I still follow the Bucs and have been to Dodger Stadium and several others on the west coast in the black and gold.
Pahonu, you might want to look away from this video...

youtu.be/PilAosY41eA

...such a tepid throw to the plate. Even a halfway decent arm gets that ball in to beat the slide. Ah, but sports is pain, especially to those who loathe them. :wink:

Speaking of the Tigers, I often wondered why MPI never once refrenced the Tigers winning the World Series in 1984.
I was in college and watching live with a buddy. Painful!!! Supposedly the start of the Sid Bream curse. He was out anyway. :wink: I won’t hold it against you that you posted this. :lol:

The Bucs had won three NL East championships in a row and didn’t get to the series. Atlanta beat them the year before and then lost in the series as they did again in 92 against the Blue Jays. Many insiders thought the Bucs were a better matchup for the Jays and would have been favored. Free agency gutted their lineup for the following season.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Really surprised by this one! One of the best of the season and even the series!! Talia Balsam, Marty Balsam's daughter?? Wow! And she was married to George Clooney? Who knew? :shock: I thought that guy never married.

A very strong emotional (with some funny humor here and there) episode which has probably the best car chase of the entire series!! Wow! I thought I was watching an 80s action movie!! Great stuff. Come to think of it I don't think we had a great car chase since the pilot episode. Crazy if you think about it. But the Ferrari vs the GTO was aces!! Kudos to the stunt crew on that one. Speaking of which, the 2 guys who played the Kiedash brothers were stuntmen so I have no doubt they played a big part in putting together that car chase.

I thought the previous 2 episodes were great ("Let the Punishment Fit the Crime" and "Holmes is Where the Heart Is") but this one easily topped those two. Looking forward to the last 2 of the season.

Overall I would rank season 4 on par with season 3, "Did You see the Sunrise?" (best episode of the series) notwithstanding.

P.S. Even the ridiculous coincidence that Emily just so *happens* to be involved with the Kiedash brothers and just *happened* to be traveling down a different road at the same exact time that TM had a car chase with the brothers (and let's face it - this coincidence is VERY ridiculous!) doesn't seem to detract from my enjoyment of this episode. Somehow the emotional heft of the whole thing just really registers and Selleck does some of his best acting in this episode.

metalmoose
Lieutenant

#58 Post by metalmoose »

Definitely great acting by Tom!