6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 102

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by MACattack »

I don't think she's Magnum's daughter, but the episode shows his paternal instincts and how he will make a great father for Lily. Who knows, maybe Tom left some babies in Vietnam without knowing?
I just don't give a damn!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Frodoleader »

Dull or not, I think this has become one of my favorite episodes. I love it for the following reasons:
1. Cindy Pickett as Karen Teal. She looked gorgeous in the flashback and "current" time. I could not help but feel that Karen could have been a replacement for Michelle in TM's affections. She really seemed hooked on our hero.
2. Loved the scene between Higgins and TM. It makes you wonder how many of his stories were made up to fit the situation.
3. Although the episode merely re-created the '70's, it made me nostalgic for that carefree (in my life) time.
4. It was fun seeing TM as a very fresh Private Investigator. Rookie mistakes and all.
5. Aren't you curious about the Lizard Lady and TC?

Also, in regards to the dune buggy driven by the surfer thugs: it sure looked like a Jeep to me.

Regardless if others found it dull, I liked it!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#33 Post by robspace54 »

The longish hair, rookie mistakes, and VW bug make this a fun one along with the 'early' TC and Rick.

Cindy Pickett (Karen Teal) certainly could have returned to the show I think, but settling TM down would not have worked. The Michelle story arc is huge and long across TM's life... and I don't think any woman by herself could totally replace her.

As for paternity, I think they left the door open, but considering that Lilly was already "cooking" in the 1984-time I think they left the door open just a little bit.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#34 Post by nha trang »

I found the episode a bit dull, like others have commented I think the flashback and curiosity factor of what the characters were doing pre Robin's nest to be the saving grace of the episode.

For the show to introduce a love interest in one episode, even with flashbacks, is slightly too ridiculous to be taken seriously, or as seriously as the episode presents it. To be blunt, I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit during the scene when the lady sings "good love." I think they could have written a much more Magnum-esque scene that would have more credibility and less cheesiness factor to try to abridge the courtship phase between magnum and the surfer lady, albeit in about 5 minutes time.

Don't get me wrong, the episode is much more watchable than several other episodes, but the writing is weaker than, for instance, "Holmes is where the heart is."

burny
Commander

#35 Post by burny »

concerning the paternity 'issue' - they exact dated the little girls bday - Karen
states in the same sentence that she is "4 and a half and is a Pisces" - thus
giving TM the info to determine her birthday....or month.

obviously "4 and a half and is a Pisces" is the "post-TM" era in Karen's life.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by AmandaByNight »

nha trang wrote:I found the episode a bit dull, like others have commented I think the flashback and curiosity factor of what the characters were doing pre Robin's nest to be the saving grace of the episode.

For the show to introduce a love interest in one episode, even with flashbacks, is slightly too ridiculous to be taken seriously, or as seriously as the episode presents it. To be blunt, I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit during the scene when the lady sings "good love." I think they could have written a much more Magnum-esque scene that would have more credibility and less cheesiness factor to try to abridge the courtship phase between magnum and the surfer lady, albeit in about 5 minutes time.

Don't get me wrong, the episode is much more watchable than several other episodes, but the writing is weaker than, for instance, "Holmes is where the heart is."
I agree with you completely. I'm not a fan of this episode, although it's watchable. I think some of the issues for me come from the actress, Cindy Pickett. She often plays characters that are way to serious and just not likable to me. She has a real small part in The Men's Club and before I even really knew it was the same actress, I got the same feelings about her. I'm sure she's a fine person, but there's something about her performance style that I just don't care for. And overall, I think the episode lags a bit.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#37 Post by rubber chicken »

In regards to the GMC Jimmy that was talked about on page two, I uploaded some additional pictures to an already existing IMCDB page for the Jimmy. At least one guy there is saying that because it's a 4x4 it's actually a T-15 instead of a S-15. I don't know anything about the Jimmy myself, but I just thought I'd mention it. :)

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#38 Post by miltontheripper »

AmandaByNight wrote:
nha trang wrote:I found the episode a bit dull, like others have commented I think the flashback and curiosity factor of what the characters were doing pre Robin's nest to be the saving grace of the episode.

I agree with you completely. I'm not a fan of this episode, although it's watchable. I think some of the issues for me come from the actress, Cindy Pickett. She often plays characters that are way to serious and just not likable to me. She has a real small part in The Men's Club and before I even really knew it was the same actress, I got the same feelings about her. I'm sure she's a fine person, but there's something about her performance style that I just don't care for. And overall, I think the episode lags a bit.

I have to agree with both of you, this is not a very good episode. The singing scene in the kitchen that you mentioned nha trang was indeed aweful and almost painful to watch! I did like the flashbacks but how bout incorporating them into something interesting, like how TM got to Robbins Nest? I don't know, I just couldn't get into this one. Only a 7, which is very rare for me because it's such a great show!

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#39 Post by Mark R.Y. »

It's funny that several of you here call this a dullish episode. I find it to be one of the more interesting ones of the season. I love the "origin" aspect to it :lol: and Mosley overall did a great job with the direction.

At first I thought there was a flub concerning the timeline: Sandy is 4 and a half years old in the 1984 present. If she is a Pisces that means we're in the late summer of '84 and thus Sandy's birth was in Feb or March 1980. Subtract 9 months and her conception occured late spring 1979. If Karen took up with Walt soon after she and Magnum parted, then the flashback scenes take place around late winter/early spring '79. So I suppose that all lines up correctly, although it means the same surfing competition is held at around the top of spring '79 and late summer '84. There's your useless trivia for today. :wink:

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#40 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

I don't usually care much about flashback episodes but I find the parallel structure of this one quite captivating, even if the story itself is nothing out of the ordinary.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Sisophous »

If ever there was a guest that stood out but was not mentioned it is Rosetta Tarantino who plays the role of Leah. Not quite sure what her age is, she is only listed in this one episode in her entire acting career if you can even call it a career.

I would guess she is in her late teens, and has a striking look.

Too bad she did not continue in the acting field because she was far more attractive than all the stars out there who became well known.

snp389
Captain

#42 Post by snp389 »

I really like this episode purely for 'gap-bridging' quality to it. The audience is given a lot of historical info of the years after TSM, TC and Rick have left the military and have settled in Hawaii into their respective chosen fields/careers.
One thing I have always wondered since I first watched the show back in 1981 when I was a kid, is how did TSM come to the attention of Robin Masters, and subsequently be invited to stay in the Guest House on the Estate, and be used as the Security Consultant?

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Sisophous »

snp389 wrote:how did TSM come to the attention of Robin Masters, and subsequently be invited to stay in the Guest House on the Estate, and be used as the Security Consultant?
Probably word of mouth since he had such a distinguished military background. He resigned from the Navy in disillusionment in 1979 and was available for hire. In exchange for his expertise in quality control of the estate's security, he has free housing and full access to Robin's Ferrari, unless Higgins punishes him for driving over his flower bed and takes it away from him.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Stelth »

Interesting episode: Who knew Ferris Bueller's mom was a surfing champ?

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#45 Post by Doc Fred »

J.J. Walters wrote:Location ID verification needed...

Kailua Beach?
After a little research, I have to say that Sam is right about it being Waimanalo Beach at the Waimanalo Bay Beach Park. The chase that led to the scene on the beach had to have been along Tinker Road which runs along the beach. If you check Google Earth, I'm pretty sure you'll agree. The Mokulua Islands are to the North and Rabbit Island is to the South as seen in the show.

Looks like a great beach to visit !