1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 100

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Dream A Little Dream (4.20)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Dream A Little Dream (4.20). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 3/29/1984
It's a case of deja vu when Magnum is reunited with an attractive woman who was one of his first clients five years earlier. She calls for his help once more with concerns that she and her young daughter are being threatened by some surfer punks right before a North Shore surfing competition.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Another great "flashback" episode. We get to see what "The Gang" was up to in 1979, before the main events of the series. There are some great surfing shots, a GMC Jimmy/Motorcycle chase on the beach and a couple of good fight scenes. The trials and tribulations of intimate relationships is also explored, something rarely seen in the show.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Ken Enderlin Charters

#3 Post by N1095A »

In case anyone is interested, The Blue and white Hughes 500-C that TC flew for Ken Enderlin is registered with the number N9267F. It is registered to Heli Logistics Inc. Based in HONOLULU. It is a 1975 model, Serial # 1150778S.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Does anybody recognize this guy from the trophy ceremony at the end?

He's uncredited (he doesn't have any speaking lines). He may just be an actor, but I'm wondering if he might be a professional surfer. Anyone up on 80s Pro Surfers?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Location ID verification needed...

Kailua Beach?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Sam »

Kailua Beach?

James,I believe it's Waimanalo or Bellows..

Kailua is past the Mokulua (sp) Islands.

Here is a map that you may fine useful.

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu ... kapuu.html

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#7 Post by rubber chicken »

I agree, one of those beaches. Could be about here, or further north.

The island on the left in the picture is Rabbit Island, the one seen from Robin's Nest.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ugh, I meant to say Kaiona Beach Park, not Kailua Beach Park! Seriously. Upon further review, I see that even that is probably wrong. One of these days I'll get one right! ;)

Tuan Vu
Captain

#9 Post by Tuan Vu »

Another memorable episode.

I really liked Higgins' statement: "For the better one feels about oneself, the better the rest of the world looks." There's a lot of truth to that.

Also, does anyone know if that was Rell Sunn at 47:12? I am pretty sure that it was. By the way, a friend and I were there the day they scattered her ashes out in Makaha. It's hard to believe that was 10 years ago. Just like Magnum said in this episode, "It's kind of funny how the years can sometimes creep by on you..."

Magnums Little Voice
Lieutenant Commander

#10 Post by Magnums Little Voice »

I really enjoyed this episode, I liked the two story lines running parallel with each other, the old and new, also love Magnums long hair and seeing Rick's Bogart era!! :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Tuan Vu wrote:Also, does anyone know if that was Rell Sunn at 47:12? I am pretty sure that it was. By the way, a friend and I were there the day they scattered her ashes out in Makaha. It's hard to believe that was 10 years ago.
Wow, great find Tuan! It's very brief, but it is indeed women's surfing pioneer, and Hawaiian legend, Rell Sunn (the "Queen of Makaha")! :shock:

God, I love when the show does stuff like this! :)

Now, if I can only find out who the guy is!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#13 Post by IslandHopper »

That sure looks like him to me Sam.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

It's definitely him! Thanks Sam!!

In reading up on him, Randy Rarick is a longtime Hawaiian resident and a bona fide surfing legend!
Rarick is featured as having surfed in more countries than anyone on Earth (more than 60 different countries). He is quoted as describing the Congo thusly: "Except for the dead body floating down the river, this West African country is the kind of place you want to see at least once."

As for Yugoslavia, he said: "Another of those strange surfs when you least expect it, in probably one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen."
:shock:

How cool is that final scene now. Not one, but two uncredited surfing legends (with no lines, however) in the same scene!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Sam »

IH and James,

I happened to find that quite by accident.I was flipping through On Demand when I noticed a 4 minute piece on surfing Oahu.Randy's contribution was an 8 sec comment.By the time I realized he looked familiar his spot was over.I rewound and paused to get his name and a better look.

I wonder how many people went uncredited after having some role in the show?