1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 100

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Dream A Little Dream (4.20)

#61 Post by ConchRepublican »

EZiller wrote:Karen Teal has a nice figure, but otherwise didn't do too much for me. Although she has a nice fireplace in her mobile home. [???]

Picture the extension tubing for a gas line! :shock: :wink: :lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#62 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

In the end Magnum says "Maybe Thomas Wolfe was right, maybe you can't go home anymore. But it sure as hell is worth a try" as he holds her child. Are we supposed to believe they're back together? How come we never see her again?

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Milton Collins »

Don't care for this episode at all. I found Karen Teague to be annoying and just a totally boring character which made for an even more boring episode. The only thing I enjoyed was seeing early day post Navy TM, hilarious mullet! And also Rick on the beach in his Bogart getup, I'm wondering if that was the first time he threatened Rick into doing something with the truth about his real name as it certainly wasn't the last lol.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by MaximRecoil »

I hate the S-10 based Blazer/Jimmy; it is cheap, under-powered, and in my experience, not put together very well. The fullsize Blazer/Jimmy had much better screen presence. They made the fullsize Blazer/Jimmy, using the same body style as the original one on MPI, until 1991, so there wasn't any reason to "update" it in 1984.

Plus I hate aftermarket wheels which have the wrong offset, making them stick out past the wheel openings, so their choice of wheels made this particular compact Jimmy even worse. Note that the fullsize Jimmy had aftermarket wheels too, but they had a proper offset for the vehicle:

Compare that to these ridiculous wheels ...

... which make it look like a roller skate. Wheels with an improper offset (i.e., negative offset) are also hard on ball joints and other suspension and steering components.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by MagnumILWU »

Haven't liked this episode since it first air! And it hasn't gotten better over time! It's on Encore today, and I can't even watch it! The story line, the characters, nothing appeals to me! Just a weak, weak episode!
"pickled egg please"

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by Milton Collins »

MagnumILWU wrote:Haven't liked this episode since it first air! And it hasn't gotten better over time! It's on Encore today, and I can't even watch it! The story line, the characters, nothing appeals to me! Just a weak, weak episode!
Couldn't agree more, I ALWAYS skip over it when I see the title and go to another!

f14peter
Lieutenant

#67 Post by f14peter »

Sisophous wrote:

Tc's chopper is Ken Enderlin charters, circa 1979, looks like the same old chopper but painted light blue.

masterengineer wrote:Just a quick note, I'm a junkie for "N Numbers"
N Number N9267F is a Hughes
Model: 369HS
Year built: 1975
Construction Number (C/N): 1150778S

This Helicopter appears in the flashback portions of the episode as the Ken Enderlin charter craft T.C. Pilots before he was able to save up and buy His Hughes 500D for Island Hoppers charter service.

Additionally the same craft appears much later in Season 7, Episode "Missing Melody" when T.C.s kidnapped daughter is recovered, Albeit sporting a different paint job.

The Craft has been owned by Heli-Logistics in Hawaii for many years. and is possibly a production craft that many of the areal shots of N1095A (T.C.s Island hoppers bird) were shot from.
As Master points out, an earlier version than TC's regular helo, and a nice touch the producers went with an older model than just any Hughes laying around. This bird has the earlier V-Tail and four rotor blades while TC's newer 500 has the T-Tail and five blades.

Flub or not: hard to tell with Selleck wearing a hairpiece flapping in the air, but it sure didn't look like him driving the Bug along the highway heading up to North Shore.

Some not fans of the switching timelines, but I think Moseley did a stunning job transitioning from one to the other. Current-day Magnum and Carol walking on the beach, camera pans away to show Bogey Rick standing in the distance and then another pan shows 70s Magnum walking up to him. Also current-day Magnum and Carol driving along a street, then the Jimmy drives off the screen to reveal 70s Magnum's Bug parked on the curb in front of his office. A few others but those are the two that stick out.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I thought Magnum's flashback 1979 long hair made him look older, not younger. I think it would have worked better if he had shorter, neater hair in 1979 - because he was recently out of the Navy (where he'd have short neat hair) and hadn't had time to grow it long yet. (They didn't even have to cut it - just flatten it down, like in Mac's Back.)

Some of the sudden flashback changes were unnecessarily confusing. It's not a bad episode, but not a good one either.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I thought Magnum's flashback 1979 long hair made him look older, not younger. I think it would have worked better if he had shorter, neater hair in 1979 - because he was recently out of the Navy (where he'd have short neat hair) and hadn't had time to grow it long yet. (They didn't even have to cut it - just flatten it down, like in Mac's Back.)
Some of the sudden flashback changes were unnecessarily confusing. It's not a bad episode, but not a good one either.
I liked this episode overall. The back and forth timelines were clumsily handled, you had to pay attention to differentiate between them, so if you were
doing some other activity while watching you could lose the thread.
I get the distinct impression the flashback scenes were actually written for a would be first episode after the pilot film.
It would be easier for the audience to understand who Magnum was that way, and why Higgins so severely judged him when this beach bum Magnum showed
up at the estate later on in his beat up VW, as a fellow employee. Perhaps this would be 1st episode didn't work and the writer filed away the best parts to reuse,
in this case for Dream A Little Dream.
Writers like Stirling Silliphant did it all the time. Roy Huggins of Rockford Files, Maverick and many other series took it to another level, he shamelessly recycled - slightly altered - entire scripts, past plots notably turning up in Alias Smith & Jones. Lance White as portrayed by Tom Selleck was originally a Maverick character. You don't throw out good material or characters. Stuart Margolin's Emmy winning Angel Martin character from Rockford had it's origins in "Nichols"(played by the same actor), later recycled yet again in the one season lasting "Bret Maverick", again played by Margolin.

"Greetings Oh Great White Father from the Land of Cube"...Beatnik Bongo Bennie (77 Sunset Strip)
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri May 03, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#70 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: I liked this episode overall. The back and forth timelines were clumsily handled, you had to pay attention to differentiate between them, so if you were
doing some other activity while watching you could lose the thread.
This is actually what I really appreciated about this episode. So often in TV episodes that counterpoint past and present storylines, they hit you over the head with various transition tricks to make sure you know "when" you are. (As done in Paradise Blues and Holmes is Where the Heart Is.) I like the more sophisticated style used here.

You do other activities while you have Magnum on? :shock: For shame! :wink: :P

Another thing I love about this episode is how "beach-y," "surf-y" and outdoorsy it is. Too many Magnum eps could take place in any mainland city, especially when there are too many indoor and anonymous street scenes.

One of season 4's best with some fun first-time events, e.g. Magnum's first objection to "P.I.," the first bullet ding in a T.C. piloted helicopter.

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#71 Post by Lord Ickenham »

Instead of some good gags, it is a very depressed episode for me. The paralell stories is a good idea, but it didn't work well. The love story isn't well written. Two lonely people looking for the happiness? But we don't know anything interesting about the surfer woman's past.
But it was very interesting for me, how much changed woman (and man) characters through the three decades. These days Karen have to be younger with huge boobs, etc. That time it was more realistic, wasn't it? How do you feel about it?

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#72 Post by Lord Ickenham »

I've just finished this episode. Maybe I am wrong but:
At the end of the story: PAST Magnum leave Karen, and Karen says why Magnum told the bear tale if he wanted to leave. But Magnum told for the little girl the tale at the PRESENT.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by T.Q. »

Not one of my favourites.

Like the backstories to Thomas, T.C. and Rick though.

“The better one feel about oneself. The better the rest of the world looks”.

- Johnathan Quayle Higgins III :higgins:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by ENSHealy »

omdata wrote:When Magnum initially meets the girl, they take pains to highlight Magnum's large brown eyes, as well as the girl's...
Um…Magnum has green eyes.
EZiller wrote:Karen Teal has a nice figure, but otherwise didn't do too much for me. Although she has a nice fireplace in her mobile home. [???]
The little guest trailer is a mobile home, but Karen’s place looks stick-built.
Image Image
Lord Ickenham wrote:I've just finished this episode. Maybe I am wrong but:
At the end of the story: PAST Magnum leave Karen, and Karen says why Magnum told the bear tale if he wanted to leave. But Magnum told for the little girl the tale at the PRESENT.
Karen doesn’t ask why he told the 3 Bears story. Thomas says he feels like a fairy tale hero with all his first-timer’s good luck, and then Karen says (sarcastically) that he is clearly ready for his "next bed time story" - that is, fairy tale. She wants him to pick a better one next time (like three bears) not one where he hurts her like he is doing in this one. And of course, 5 years later, he does choose that exact story.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by ENSHealy »

4.20 DREAM A LITTLE DREAM
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1 Red Jungle Bird
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 1 (does it count because he admits it’s not true?)
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI: 1
Investigator corrections: 1
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 5
Magnumometer Moments:
https://vimeo.com/394572582

Potential magnumania usernames: Felix Fong, The Lizard Lady, Binky Farnbush

Thomas accepts the gig as Karen’s bodyguard, then later (earlier in the series, later in time) says he doesn’t do bodyguard work (I think it was Sixth Position?). I wonder if he doesn’t do bodyguard work specifically because of this case?

We learned a few episodes ago that “a few months” after the 1967 Army-Navy game, TM headed off to Vietnam. And we know he was evacuated on April 30, 1975. How does 3 tours of duty lasted 7 years? Wasn’t the standard tour 1 year? Even with a full year off between them, that’s only 5 years.

I have so many questions on the plot of this episode. Karen makes up the fake Walt is back story as an excuse to higher Thomas. Then, she has Joe Soames’ thugs stage a fake abduction when she knows Magnum will be there to “rescue” them. What’s in it for Joe? And what does she mean by “stack the deck”? Is Joe going to pay off someone else to take a dive this time? Why doesn’t Karen tell Thomas, as soon as Thomas sees her at The Curl with Joe, that she was there to quit the competition? And why is she quitting the competition? She doesn’t know yet that Thomas is on to her. Why does just seeing Karen and Joe together make Thomas leave? Obviously he thinks there in cahoots, but for what purpose? She mentions waitressing at the Curl? Maybe Joe just came in? How does Thomas know? Why does Joe say it was dumb of Karen to re-enter the competition?

The singing in the kitchen really was cringe-tastic. TS should have gotten an Emmy just for keeping a reasonable facade on during that scene.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."