6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 100

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Sisophous »

If ever there was a guest that stood out but was not mentioned it is Rosetta Tarantino who plays the role of Leah. Not quite sure what her age is, she is only listed in this one episode in her entire acting career if you can even call it a career.

I would guess she is in her late teens, and has a striking look.

Too bad she did not continue in the acting field because she was far more attractive than all the stars out there who became well known.

snp389
Captain

#42 Post by snp389 »

I really like this episode purely for 'gap-bridging' quality to it. The audience is given a lot of historical info of the years after TSM, TC and Rick have left the military and have settled in Hawaii into their respective chosen fields/careers.
One thing I have always wondered since I first watched the show back in 1981 when I was a kid, is how did TSM come to the attention of Robin Masters, and subsequently be invited to stay in the Guest House on the Estate, and be used as the Security Consultant?

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Sisophous »

snp389 wrote:how did TSM come to the attention of Robin Masters, and subsequently be invited to stay in the Guest House on the Estate, and be used as the Security Consultant?
Probably word of mouth since he had such a distinguished military background. He resigned from the Navy in disillusionment in 1979 and was available for hire. In exchange for his expertise in quality control of the estate's security, he has free housing and full access to Robin's Ferrari, unless Higgins punishes him for driving over his flower bed and takes it away from him.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Stelth »

Interesting episode: Who knew Ferris Bueller's mom was a surfing champ?

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#45 Post by Doc Fred »

J.J. Walters wrote:Location ID verification needed...

Kailua Beach?
After a little research, I have to say that Sam is right about it being Waimanalo Beach at the Waimanalo Bay Beach Park. The chase that led to the scene on the beach had to have been along Tinker Road which runs along the beach. If you check Google Earth, I'm pretty sure you'll agree. The Mokulua Islands are to the North and Rabbit Island is to the South as seen in the show.

Looks like a great beach to visit !

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#46 Post by Doc Fred »

Tuan Vu wrote:
I really liked Higgins' statement: "For the better one feels about oneself, the better the rest of the world looks." There's a lot of truth to that.

Just like Magnum said in this episode, "It's kind of funny how the years can sometimes creep by on you..."
When I saw this for the first time today, I also noted the two quotes you cited.. I find them both quite meaningful and real, particularly Higgie's.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#47 Post by Doc Fred »

J.J. Walters wrote:Hey, welcome to the site omdata!

What a great observation about Magnum and the little girl in this episode! The thought never even occurred to me before, but, in looking at the scene again, I believe you are right. The scene at the very end where he is holding the girl at the beach also plays into this theory.
All things considered, I tend to go along with you both about Magnum being the dad.... I also thought TS played a great "daddy" role.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Dream A Little Dream (4.20)

#48 Post by Doc Fred »

I know many of you weren't too enthusiastic about this episode, but I really liked it... for all the reasons others mentioned, and for the once again positive interaction between Magnum and Higgins when it was obvious one of them was hurting. This happened often during the series and highlights to me that they really did like each other, despite the bickering that went on between them. In so many cases, you could see the respect they held for each other.

On a different note, has anyone else noted that whenever someone enters Magnum's place, they open the door, walk in and leave the door open? I think I can remember seeing only one time when someone closed the door. Don't they have mosquitoes, flies or other flying insects in Hawaii????

Rosebud
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#49 Post by Rosebud »

I enjoyed this episode, back in '79 I was also a longhair tooling around in a old VW (1953 Bug)! So, I was a VW fan before I was a Magnum fan!
When I saw this epi again, a few weeks back, it brought a huge smile to my face, I had forgotten that my favorite P.I. drove an ol'bug! It's a 1966 Beetle convertible and that's my avatar! I currently own a '66 Beetle, it's nicer than Magnum's but not a convertible! :lol:

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Sisophous »

Here are a few memorable scenes that stood out after watching this episode for about the 4th time!

Jiffy Pop was being used, yes Jiffy Pop, first introduced in 1959 by ConAgra Foods. I recall using it in the 70s and burning the popcorn was an issue when you used gas stove burners. The flame is way too high on this shot but somehow it produced a perfect batch of popcorn. With that flame the popcorn kernels would have been burned black. You had to hold it inches above the flame but in TV land, you just sit it down on the burners.

The never mentioned actress, aside from myself, Rosetta Tarantino appeared in this one film only as the character, Leah. If you look at the second photo from a distance on the right side of the screen, she has her hands on her lower backside/rear end, it screams of discomfort on screen, just my take on body language. She never appeared again on film. This girl was very cute, she was supposed to be an upcoming surf star in this role, I wonder why she did not appear again, anywhere, perhaps I hit on why.

Tc's chopper is Ken Enderlin charters, circa 1979, looks like the same old chopper but painted light blue.

And, the marketing ploy to promote the charter is comical.........."We'll Fly You To The End-Erlin of the Rainbow". Check out his shirt. You would have to watch these episodes repeatedly to pick up on some of the most stupid stunts they pulled. Someone actually sat down and made this stuff up and had it put onto a T-Shirt.

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#51 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

I liked it even though the plot is weak, but the episode is very good overall. It's very interesting and funny to follow the first steps of Magnum as P.I. in 1979. It is particularly important to read the Magnum's phone number on the matchboxes: 'Thomas Magnum Private Investigator 555-2351'.
And now we also know that his first office was located above the shop (ex 'Kahala Furniture') at 3632 Waialae Avenue.
Imageand nowImage

This is the window of the office
Imageand nowImage

I guess the entrance was from Koko Head Avenue, behind the corner, through the same door used as entrance of the fictional Kualao Hotel in the episode 'Smaller Than Life'.
ImageImage

flubs corner:
1) in the office we can see a calendar behind Karen's shoulders showing two months (one with 30 days and one with 31 days). I guess it is a calendar of the year 1983 (the ep was aired on March 29, 1984) because there are 2 signs pointing out the date of Thanksgiving Day (it was on the 24th of November) and the date of Christmas Day besides the red Sunday on the 27th of November. This also happened in 1977 so maybe there was an outdated calendar in the office. :D
2) When Magnum goes to 'The Curl' the first time (about 34'23'') we see 4 persons outside the bar. According to the story Magnum comes back there several hours later (about 43'13''. even wearing different clothes) but surprisingly there are still the same 4 persons outside the bar!
34'23''Image43'13Image
3) It seems like that they gave Karen the same cheque prize in 1979 and in 1984 :)
ImageImage
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#52 Post by J.J. Walters »

Kalai-pahoa wrote:2) When Magnum goes to 'The Curl' the first time (about 34'23'') we see 4 persons outside the bar. According to the story Magnum comes back there several hours later (about 43'13''. even wearing different clothes) but surprisingly there are still the same 4 persons outside the bar!
34'23''Image43'13Image
I've heard that "The Curl" has really good Mai Tai's. They loved it so much they just never left. :)

I just wanted to say thanks for all the great posts (and pics) you've done Kalai-pahoa. I've enjoyed them immensely.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#53 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

J.J. Walters wrote: I just wanted to say thanks for all the great posts (and pics) you've done Kalai-pahoa. I've enjoyed them immensely.
Hi J.J., You are so kind. And I wanna thank you fot this amazing and outstanding forum full of stuff about our favourite show, with great users, tons of interesting things and ever alive.
After over 30 years we are still here talking about Magnum and his universe. This really proves that this is the best ever tv series.
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#54 Post by Seaver41 »

Doc Fred wrote:
Tuan Vu wrote:
I really liked Higgins' statement: "For the better one feels about oneself, the better the rest of the world looks." There's a lot of truth to that.

Just like Magnum said in this episode, "It's kind of funny how the years can sometimes creep by on you..."
When I saw this for the first time today, I also noted the two quotes you cited.. I find them both quite meaningful and real, particularly Higgie's.
BINGO! Captures a big part of why I love this show.......it makes you think. A trademark of the show that I particularly like is how Magnum's narration at the end often has something poignant to say that crystalizes the thoughts/emotions uncorked in the episode. I guess that is why I missed it so much in the Finale.......so much was left unsaid.

good episode.......Cindy in her better looking days. she really went off deep end in past 10 years. Whether it was the clever intentions of the writers or not, the presentation of the character Cindy played clearly disqualified her as a viable future match for Thomas. She was flaky. She was holding on too hard to a guy she just met who was still not over his true love. Can we say clingy? Then she has a rebound so 'bad' she jumps in the sack and has a kid. Were the writers stereotyping her a female beach bum? We know that would never work for him.

the quotes alone from Higgins and Magnum make it a watchable episode. Who hasn't waxed poetic about their past and choices made? I also liked the quote at the end about Thomas Wolfe about going home again.......well done.

is it me or do these episodes witha that satisfying last moment payoff make you give a thumbs up or a modest fist pump? Sometimes they do for me..... It's a validation that this past hour was well spent. That's why I love the show.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Re:

#55 Post by J.J. Walters »

Seaver41 wrote:is it me or do these episodes with that satisfying last moment payoff make you give a thumbs up or a modest fist pump? Sometimes they do for me..... It's a validation that this past hour was well spent. That's why I love the show.
Definitely! I've been known to point at "MagnumTV" while saying, "Yes!" rather loudly. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!