6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 120

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#41 Post by nha trang »

Just watched this episode, the end of season 4 after arriving home after jury duty. It was very enjoyable, but I didn't laugh as much as I should have? It did seem to have its comic appeal - definitely Higgins doing karate kicks should have done it, I guess I wasn't in the mood. I did smirk when rick (according to one of the guy's stories anyway) falls against the closet to get that broken nose!

I'll tell you one thing, I'd have never fired that piano lady with cleavage like that (and if you caught the quick shot with her in lingerie), I think I'd rather invite her in to be my personal caregiver/naked housecleaner! I love it when they put a babe in the episode!

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#42 Post by miltontheripper »

nha trang wrote:Just watched this episode, the end of season 4 after arriving home after jury duty. It was very enjoyable, but I didn't laugh as much as I should have? It did seem to have its comic appeal - definitely Higgins doing karate kicks should have done it, I guess I wasn't in the mood. I did smirk when rick (according to one of the guy's stories anyway) falls against the closet to get that broken nose!

I'll tell you one thing, I'd have never fired that piano lady with cleavage like that (and if you caught the quick shot with her in lingerie), I think I'd rather invite her in to be my personal caregiver/naked housecleaner! I love it when they put a babe in the episode!
Yes agreed about the piano lady! I think this is a great episode, very funny! One of the best of the "lighter" episodes. I thought of the three versions (Ricks, Higgins, and Tc's) of what happened Ricks was the best! When he acts like a tough guy he is hilarious. Although seeing Higgins karate action is damn good as well. I just came home from a terrible day when I watched this one and it definitely brightened my mood!

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by steveadl »

Anyone else spot the big flub throughout the episode?

Watching it again now I noticed it at the 5-6min mark when TM first get there and Higgins is talking. It's 2-3am in the morning, yet through the trellising behind Higgins it's broad daylight and what looks like the beach and the sea behind it. :D

(only went through the first 2 pages of this thread, sorry if it's already been mentioned)

Bes
Commander

#44 Post by Bes »

Slightly overrated episode I think, though it grew on me on 2nd viewing. I thought they could've made more out of the multiple perspectives angle. Still quite good though.

OnionBit
Ensign

#45 Post by OnionBit »

Hehehehe..

To me the biggest laugh actually comes from Joy Kelly, who plays the singer, also called Joy. I especially love how she sings the song at the last round, when Higgins is telling his side of the story. The way she goes 'feeeelings, owowowowowow feeeelings!' makes me fall of the couch laughing every single time.

This ep is definitely one of my favorites! :!:

Sgt Major
Ensign

#46 Post by Sgt Major »

steveadl wrote:Anyone else spot the big flub throughout the episode?

Watching it again now I noticed it at the 5-6min mark when TM first get there and Higgins is talking. It's 2-3am in the morning, yet through the trellising behind Higgins it's broad daylight and what looks like the beach and the sea behind it.
Another flub related to the timing: Does it even make sense? Let's say Magnum's watching a baseball game at 2am in Hawaii ... That would make it something like 8am on the US east coast, an unusual time to be playing baseball. It seems like a surprising mistake given that the crew work/live in Hawaii for a good part of the year. They'd probably be familiar with the fact that mainland ball games would be on in the afternoon rather than late night.

Anyhow, I quite enjoyed the episode. The premise was a bit thin as people have pointed out, but amusing to see the guys acting out their images of themselves.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Stelth »

Sgt Major wrote:

Watching it again now I noticed it at the 5-6min mark when TM first get there and Higgins is talking. It's 2-3am in the morning, yet through the trellising behind Higgins it's broad daylight and what looks like the beach and the sea behind it.
Another flub related to the timing: Does it even make sense? Let's say Magnum's watching a baseball game at 2am in Hawaii ... That would make it something like 8am on the US east coast, an unusual time to be playing baseball. It seems like a surprising mistake given that the crew work/live in Hawaii for a good part of the year. They'd probably be familiar with the fact that mainland ball games would be on in the afternoon rather than late night.

Anyhow, I quite enjoyed the episode. The premise was a bit thin as people have pointed out, but amusing to see the guys acting out their images of themselves.
I seem to remember a line where Magnums says he avoided friends that day so they wouldn't reveal the score. I think he was simply watching a re-broadcast of a game which was played the day before.

Also, I thought this was interesting:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... homonStyle

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

Re: I Witness (4.21)

#48 Post by Seaver41 »

good episode to end the season......nothing too heavy handed. I wonder if that was a conscious choice because they obviously open season 5 with doozy.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#49 Post by marlboro »

Very funny episode. I laughed out loud several times.

Did anybody else notice that the Pig's voice changed depending on who was telling the story? When Higgins was narrating he spoke in Ebonics, when TC narrated he sounded like a white dude, and when Rick narrated he stuttered like Porky Pig! He also had a sinister eye-patch in Higgins version.

I didn't notice the Judas Priest song book. That's great. I'm guessing there are a ton of other little jokes I missed.

Easily the best comedy episode of the first 4 seasons. The only way it could have been better is if, at the end, Higgins whipped out his mighty Peregrine falcon bird call and scared the guy in the bunny mask into running into oncoming traffic.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re:

#50 Post by Pahonu »

Sgt Major wrote:

SGT Major

I like your avatar. I'm a big fan of the film and David Lean as a director. Also a fan of Sir Alec Guinness, Bill Holden, and Sessue Hayakawa. While in college taking a film history class, I wrote a 20+ page research paper on The Bridge on the River Kwai. I won't even get started on all the great aspects of that film. The novel The Bridge over the River Kwai by Pierre Boulle is also a pretty good read.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by charybdis1966 »

I watched this today thinking it was a new one to me, but as it went on I gradually realised I had seen it before but I couldn't quite remember who was "the inside man" till closer to the end.

Very enjoyable and a good study in how each character views themselves, Rick and Tc as tough men and higgins as the man to take charge and out fox the "blaggards".

I sat bolt upright when I saw the Judas Priest song book - Joy Kelly is definitely my kinda gal as I'm a big JP fan and have seen them around 10 times in concert over the last 25 years or so. Me and joy could have had some fun times; anyway after 60 or so posts I think I've finally uncovered a flub.

When you see the gorgeous Ms. Kelly(during Higgins' recollection) slip the note which turns out to be a song request into a book you can see she puts it in the JP song book, yet when Magnum finds it later it is no longer in the songbook, which is to the right of the inside of the piano stool, but in a pile of papers/books to the left - the note has moved.!

So Mr JJ, do I enter the flub hall of fame !? :)
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re:

#52 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:I'd pay money to see Joy's act. She plays several different versions of Morris Albert's "Feelings". She breaks out some Judas Priest songs. And she closes with "One for My Baby (and One More for the Road)" (probably the Iggy Pop version, not the Frank Sinatra version). Who knows what else she has in her repertoire! 8)
I think she could really piano bar the heck out out of The Preist's "Fever".....
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0KaZ1VSdnY ... KaZ1VSdnYI

Perhaps even more with Halford's solo tune "Prisoner of Your Eyes"
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xZE31DHnBr ... ZE31DHnBrg

I'm intrigued!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#53 Post by J.J. Walters »

If you look really closely at the songbook you can see that Joy has bookmarks on "Beyond the Realms of Death"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeKuH114EiA

and "Living After Midnight"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzpHmbwqHLM

:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#54 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:If you look really closely at the songbook you can see that Joy has bookmarks on "Beyond the Realms of Death"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeKuH114EiA

and "Living After Midnight"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzpHmbwqHLM

:)
That is awesome!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#55 Post by J.J. Walters »

charybdis1966 wrote:I sat bolt upright when I saw the Judas Priest song book - Joy Kelly is definitely my kinda gal as I'm a big JP fan and have seen them around 10 times in concert over the last 25 years or so. Me and joy could have had some fun times; anyway after 60 or so posts I think I've finally uncovered a flub.

When you see the gorgeous Ms. Kelly(during Higgins' recollection) slip the note which turns out to be a song request into a book you can see she puts it in the JP song book, yet when Magnum finds it later it is no longer in the songbook, which is to the right of the inside of the piano stool, but in a pile of papers/books to the left - the note has moved.!

So Mr JJ, do I enter the flub hall of fame !? :)
I havn't gone back to look at the scene, but couldn't she just have moved the note herself (sometime after she puts it in the book)?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!