1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 120

DDD
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: I Witness (4.21)

#61 Post by DDD »

The range of appreciation for this show has the same range as the characters' accounts as to what happened during the robbery. As for me, this show is not a winner. Why rid the series of Koeki? Fire Joy Kelly? Higgins there at bar close? Only a brief scene in the guesthouse and then it is all at the Club. The episode goes at too slow a pace. Get the money and run.

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#62 Post by Majordomo »

I really enjoyed this episode, but we are left we some unanswered questions:

What happened after they had to remove their clothing that they did not want to reveal?

What happened to the old drunk and his untimely demise?

It puts in mid of the ending to "The People vs. Orville Wright".
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#63 Post by marlboro »

Majordomo wrote:I really enjoyed this episode, but we are left we some unanswered questions:

What happened after they had to remove their clothing that they did not want to reveal?

What happened to the old drunk and his untimely demise?

It puts in mid of the ending to "The People vs. Orville Wright".

Those answered questions are just part of the joke. The seemingly never ending night will continue because of the new murder mystery. And the writers probably couldn't come up with anything funnier than what ever the imaginations of their viewers conjure up when hypothesizing about what happened to the guys once they were forced to disrobe.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by KingKC »

Not a great episode but for some reason very memorable for me. The complete disrobing was a little surprising and kind of thought provoking as I looked at the "victims." It also made me think what it would be like if I got caught in a real life situation like this...how would I react. The self serving explanations were a little cheesy and the excuse for robbing the place left me flat but as I said: very memorable for some unusual reason.

KingKC

Turkey
Admiral

#65 Post by Turkey »

The Higgins stunt kicks! AWESOME - and that hiss he does too, so good
Make it two weeks.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by MaximRecoil »

While watching this recently, I thought, "What did Magnum do, plug his popcorn popper into a timer switch, so that it would come on automatically a few minutes before his alarm clock went off?" So I watched the scene again, and ...

... and that's exactly what he did. I like that sort of attention to detail. However, he ate it straight out of the popper as-is, i.e., no salt or butter, and I don't believe he's the type who would do such a thing. Plain popcorn is very bland (especially air-popped), and about the only people who eat it are those who are on a very restrictive diet. Magnum swills beer like it's going out of style, likes takeout food from e.g., "Macho Taco", and specifically praised the real butter on the movie theater popcorn in his 1936 dream world (Flashback [3.07]).

Speaking of that scene, that was an anachronism, because the first theater owner known to have installed a popcorn machine was Glen W. Dickson in 1938 (at the time, theaters generally had signs specifically prohibiting popcorn, as it was considered distracting). This was in the Midwest, and due to the high profits, the idea quickly spread from there, and by the mid '40s nearly all movie theaters served popcorn. However, since it happened in a dream, it can't be considered an error.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by K Hale »

This is a little slow and can't help but be a bit repetitive due to the plot, but I find it enjoyable. How they all see themselves and one another is pretty amusing; TC as the smooth Lothario, Rick and Higgins throwing each other under the bus as far as who was the tough guy, who caved, and who's shorter than who (one of the robbers points at Rick and says, "We're taking the runt!" and Rick says, "No, you're not taking Higgins. Take me!"), the continual misdirection regarding what happened to their clothes. The only thing I found a bit thin is that I suppose Keoki was supposed to have applied makeup to himself using the makeup bag TC found under the bar, to make it look like he had a black eye. He would have had to be very skilled and very quick, especially since there seemed to be no mirror.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by K Hale »

It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#69 Post by marlboro »

^^Very nice!

I wonder why they chose to make Keoki the bad guys. I wonder if the actor wanted to leave the show or if he was just written out.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by K Hale »

Question: I was re-watching this, and at the beginning, Higgins suspects Rosine was the inside contact for the robbers. I suppose his reasoning is because in Rick's version of events (though not in Higgins' version, oddly), Rosine stops by the bar where Rick and Higgins are sitting and tells Keoki to take two mai tais to table four because she has something important to do. As Rick and Higgins talk about Joy Kelly's singing, we see Keoki in the background take drinks to the couple from Kansas. We do not see Rosine again until she appears in the hallway behind Rick and George Wong as they walk from the office into the Anuenue Room to see what the smashing sounds were. Unless I missed it, we never saw what Rosine had to do that was important. Anyone able to shed light on this? Surely she wasn't in it with Keoki?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

jeffran
Captain

#71 Post by jeffran »

Quote of the episode:

TC: "Don't kill 'em! He's just stupid."

Fun episode, I love a "Rashomon"-type story. I rated it a 9. Good wrap up to season 4. I haven't watched season 1 in a while, so I'm going to circle back to it.

jeffran
Captain

#72 Post by jeffran »

K Hale wrote:Question: I was re-watching this, and at the beginning, Higgins suspects Rosine was the inside contact for the robbers. I suppose his reasoning is because in Rick's version of events (though not in Higgins' version, oddly), Rosine stops by the bar where Rick and Higgins are sitting and tells Keoki to take two mai tais to table four because she has something important to do. As Rick and Higgins talk about Joy Kelly's singing, we see Keoki in the background take drinks to the couple from Kansas. We do not see Rosine again until she appears in the hallway behind Rick and George Wong as they walk from the office into the Anuenue Room to see what the smashing sounds were. Unless I missed it, we never saw what Rosine had to do that was important. Anyone able to shed light on this? Surely she wasn't in it with Keoki?
I don't think so, I believe it was simply a red-herring.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#73 Post by brianw »

This episode was hilarious. The differing versions with overacting, was funny. TC the ladies man, and Rick the tough guy. The accountant made me laugh too, how guilty they made him look in Rick's version. And the Higgins stunt double with the karate kicks was great...

So... the Tigers game had already been played, Magnum avoided the score so he could watch the game replayed at 2am Hawaii time..... If Keoki had bet on the game and won, as Tanaka said, why did he follow through with the robbery??? And why would Tanaka ask the reporter on live TV if she knew the score of the game, if it had already been played? Makes no sense.... Also, I noticed the note that the singer put in her music book, was in a different spot when Magnum found it in the piano bench... Why would Keoki stay on the floor behind the bar after being punched? And how do you put on makeup that looked like a black eye that quickly and with no mirror?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by T.Q. »

Fun.

Funny.

Bit Cheesy.

Classic!

“Don’t kill him. He’s just stupid!” :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by ENSHealy »

4.21 I WITNESS
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG: 2 The second one is very quiet but it’s there.
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 1 Quarter point each for 4 very short ones, which are probably figments of T.C.’s imagination anyway.
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 3
Magnumometer Moments:
https://vimeo.com/394575692

This episode has some funny moments, but overall the pace is slow and I found the masked robbers tiresome. Also, it is entirely shot indoors except for the very brief exteriors at the Marks estate, which might as well be indoors, since it is at night. As the series went on, they spent less and less time outdoors and more and more time on the sound stage, and I think it really affects the feel of the episodes (and not in a good way).

If they took all their clothes, why does Higgins have a t-shirt on under his robe the whole episode?
brianw wrote:So... the Tigers game had already been played, Magnum avoided the score so he could watch the game replayed at 2am Hawaii time..... If Keoki had bet on the game and won, as Tanaka said, why did he follow through with the robbery??? And why would Tanaka ask the reporter on live TV if she knew the score of the game, if it had already been played? Makes no sense....
Great observations! I caught the second one myself, about Tanaka asking about the score, but the Keoki bet one was a revelation. That is a giant plot hole.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."