6.0 (Pretty Bad) 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 85
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:41 pm 
Baron Of GIFs

J.J. Walters wrote:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:
I may be wrong, but there seems to be a notch in the tree from a previous practice shot of the dagger being thrown.

The notch is where the knife/dagger springs out from the target, to make it appear that it was actually thrown. While many knife throwers are real (and indeed throw real knives), I can't imagine they were used on TV show sets, especially when important cast members are involved!

I think I learned about this trick from an episode of Laverne and Shirley.

Another example of this in Magnum, is in "I Never Wanted to Go to France, Anyway" where Rick is the Indian's assistant. I also think they used a dummy for the scene where the wheel is spinning.

Quote:
I wish it had been more of a "whodunit?" I think there should have been more done to establish the various suspects motives. Start with the "murder" and then have a steady stream of clues and red herrings. And French maids.

^^^My previous comment on the episode.

After rewatching it this morning, I'd add one more point: I wish they had a different theme for the party. Something that would have allowed them to have more fun with the costumes. Maybe a "come as your favorite literary character" or something. I would have loved to see a concussed Higgins acting out a Hercule Poirot fantasy "helping" Magnum solve a mystery.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:24 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Watched this again last night, absolutely love it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:19 am 
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just couldn't buy this one. This is playing it for laughs gone too far - yes, Higgins doing Shakespeare is good tongue-in-cheek entertainment but the whole thing is a bit of a nonsense I feel. Nice to see Ronald Lacey in Magnum. What I didn't get here is murder or no murder, why are the police/ambulance called - all a setup from the start? Too much for my brain to take in obviously.

Then there is Magnum all dressed up one minute, in his shorts and vest the next minute then all dressed up again as we see the final Cluedo style showdown. What I also didn't get - if Robin's new secretary was a stooge, who let all the guests into Robin's Nest in the first place? With Higgins out of action are the lads on gate/meet & greet duties while Magnum is off breakfasting with his pals? In the previous episode we're told this is a secure site. All stretching believability too far for me I'm afraid.

Sorry, I didn't like this one and it was all a bit of a step too far down implausible avenue. Higgins as ever though on top form and nice to other parts of the estate. It's fun in parts but not one I'd return to in a hurry - sorry folks. That's the magic of Magnum though, even the ones you don't like you can find good bits in.
:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:37 pm 
Fleet Admiral

jno wrote:
That's the magic of Magnum though, even the ones you don't like you can find good bits in.
:wink:

That's been my stance from the get-go.

Even the episodes that I have a hard time actually sitting through from start to end, have SOME redeeming value in them!

I guess it must BE "magic"! :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:30 am 
Ensign

Just noticed a wee flub here, don't recall it mentioned before. More just a small continuity error.
At about the 18:05 mark, Inez Stewart is autographing an opened playbill for TC.
A moment later as she is finishing the autograph, the playbill is now closed but she is signing on the cover.